• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
T-Storms Part 2 : "North and West of the city!"

TalcottWx

Lots of distant thunder emanating from the cell moving toward Marlborough.

This day is starting to remind me of June, '87. I've told this story a dozen times ... to paraphrase, we warm-sector-wedged around 1:30pm with the boundary lifting to SE NH, and the region soared into the 80s with DPs rising to 72 after a morning in the mid 60s with thunder and rains ... elevated convection along the displacing warm boundary.

Toward evening, a small cluster of cells developed over the Mohawk Trail and roared ESE down Rt 2 during the evening hours. One of the most spectacular severe events of my life outside of a tornado transpired. It came through in two distinct pulses: the first was drive gust front up underneath an atypical shelf cloud. That pulse of wind, which gusted well over 50mph, went calm, and there was this really fascinating 10 minute interval of super bright, multi-pulse anvil to earth CG bolts with bone rattling loud thunder explosions. Then the west horizon started pulsing blinks, overlapping, pretty close to continuous ... as it neared a distant roar began to overtake the near constant roll of distant thunder and then the 2nd wave hit like a p-wave off a bomb blast. Trees just bent in half and hail up to golf ball sized and blinding rain was interceded with strobe lightning...

When it was over ... immense timbre damage and power outages all over town.

Couldn't hurt to look up stream where there may be some residual SRH later on

Funny how our big severe days tend to feature morning mcs or elevated convection, often featuring frequent lightning.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharp edge to that convection, bits of sun and blue in NW Middlesex right now.

Confirmed in Ayer;  sun out... West primarily scudded with saturated boundary layer under lots of blue, and there are distant TCU.

My morning pessimism may be overstated...  I really have no horses in this race, I just wanted a chance to film TCU maturation. Looks like I may get my chance if things hold.  Heading out for a hair cut soon...will assess and set up right after it conditions warrant. 

Very evident couplet. If that continues, we're liable to see a wx.

eHpjv4R.png

id probably say severe but not enough for a tor warn just from the radar.

getting dark here. Gusting every 15 seconds to about 30mph. We probably got to 45-50 earlier down the beach. Rain was blowing up the street this am.

This day is starting to remind me of June, '87.  I've told this story a dozen times ... to paraphrase, we warm-sector-wedged around 1:30pm with the boundary lifting to SE NH, and the region soared into the 80s with DPs rising to 72 after a morning in the mid 60s with thunder and rains ...  elevated convection along the displacing warm boundary.  

Toward evening, a small cluster of cells developed over the Mohawk Trail and roared ESE down Rt 2 during the evening hours. One of the most spectacular severe events of my life outside of a tornado transpired.  It came through in two distinct pulses: the first was dry gust front up underneath an atypical shelf cloud.  That pulse of wind, which gusted well over 50mph, went calm, and there was this really fascinating 10 minute interval of super bright, multi-pulse anvil to earth CG bolts with bone rattling loud thunder explosions. Then the west horizon started pulsing blinks, overlapping, pretty close to continuous ... as it neared a distant roar began to overtake the near constant roll of distant thunder and then the 2nd wave hit like a p-wave off a bomb blast. Trees just bent in half and hail up to golf ball sized and blinding rain was interceded with strobe lightning...  

When it was over ... immense timbre damage and power outages all over town.   

Couldn't hurt to look up stream where there may be some residual SRH later on

mcd1484.gif
   MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1484   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0212 PM CDT SUN JUL 27 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...ERN NY...WRN NEW ENGLAND   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY    VALID 271912Z - 272015Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...20 PERCENT   SUMMARY...ISOLATED INSTANCES OF SVR HAIL AND WIND GUSTS ARE POSSIBLE   THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS ERN NY INTO PARTS OF WRN NEW ENGLAND. COVERAGE   OF THESE THREATS IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN INSUFFICIENT FOR A WW.   DISCUSSION...ISOLATED TSTMS HAVE DEVELOPED WITHIN A WEAK BAROCLINIC   ZONE GENERATED BY EARLIER CONVECTION...WHICH IS BEING REINFORCED BY   A COOLER AIR MASS DOWNWIND FROM LAKE ONTARIO ACROSS W-CNTRL NY.   ADDITIONAL TSTMS WERE DEVELOPING NWD TO NEAR/W OF LAKE CHAMPLAIN.   THE STRONGEST STORMS OVER THE REGION WERE LOCATED NEAR THE   ALBANY/TRI-CITY AREA AS OF 19Z. THE AIR MASS HAS DESTABILIZED IN THE   WAKE OF EARLIER CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH AN IMPULSE EJECTING NEWD   INTO MAINE...WITH AN AXIS OF 500-1000 J/KG MLCAPE CENTERED OVER THE   ERN HALF OF NY. WEAK SLY WINDS VEERING TO WLY IN THE MIDLEVELS IS   YIELDING SUFFICIENT DEEP-LAYER SHEAR FOR SMALL ORGANIZED TSTM   CLUSTERS AND PERHAPS A FEW SUPERCELLS...CAPABLE OF PRODUCING   LOCALIZED STRONG WIND GUSTS AND HAIL. DUE TO THE MARGINAL   THERMODYNAMIC ENVIRONMENT AND RELATIVELY SPARSE COVERAGE OF   CONVECTION...A WW DOES NOT APPEAR WARRANTED ATTM...BUT TRENDS WILL   CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED.   ..ROGERS/HART.. 07/27/2014   ATTN...WFO...GYX...BOX...BTV...ALY...BGM...   LAT...LON   44917223 44797176 43977151 43017188 42237227 41767278               41687346 41807411 42307446 42587503 42677538 43317517               45037431 44917223 

Archived