• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
July 6-8 Severe Weather

snowlover2

I see the couplet on his posted radar image, clear as day. How many scans it was there, Tony would have to tell you as I don't have access to the radar product he used, but I'm guessing it was there more than a couple scans. In MY mind, THAT is a "radar-detected' tornado. 

Now, not sure if anyone has seen this or not, I just found it on facebook as I sat down to eat after working outside most of the day:

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/metro/2014/07/07/why-no-warning-issued-with-kentwood-tornado/12315353/

Basically, it says:

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Meteorologists from the National Weather Service addressed the media late Monday afternoon following Sunday night's EF-1 tornado touchdown in Kent County.

Many residents are wondering why there was no warning or even a watch issued with this storm.

The twister, rated a high-end EF1, had winds of 100-110 miles per hour when it struck at 10:20 p.m. near 64th Street and Burlingame Ave. SW. It was on the ground for 10 minutes and 6.25 miles and was 900-1,200 feet at its widest, according to the NWS. It lifted around 10:30 p.m. near the area of Breton Road and 28th Street SE.

RELATEDEF-1 tornado touchdown confirmed in Kent County

National Weather Service meteorologists say they couldn't detect the twister because it was hidden and rain-wrapped. Meteorologist Daniel Cobb says the tornado also developed behind the radar screen.

He added the twister was also unusual because it was a spin-up tornado, meaning instead of descending towards the ground, like the large funnels you see in the Great Plains, this one started on the ground.

"The time the radar detects the velocity of this one, it's on the ground. It developed right at the base of the ground, and then grew upward, the opposite way it's supposed to happen," he said.

Cobb says the worst damage was from the U.S. 131 and M-6 interchange to 44th Street and Kalamazoo, then it started to weaken. The worst damage was trees snapped in different directions, trees blown into garage doors,and carports ripped off.

Cobb says if this tornado arrived during the day, spotters would have had a better chance of seeing it form.

The last EF-1 to hit Grand Rapids was in 2001. The last tornado was a EF-0 in 2006, at a Caledonia golf course, Cobb said.

***End of post, emphasis on text is mine.  Here's where I'm confused. There was an obvious couplet on radar, we saw this, so how does "National Weather Service meteorologists say they couldn't detect the twister because it was hidden and rain-wrapped" occur?

Also, what does "Meteorologist Daniel Cobb says the tornado also developed behind the radar screen" mean exactly? (Sorry, this editor won't let me unbold stuff for some reason)

*** 6 INJ *** NWS STORM SURVEY CONFIRMED AN EF-1 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN IN BYRON CENTER BEFORE MOVING INTO WYOMING AND THEN KENTWOOD BEFORE LIFTING. THE TORNADO HAD MAXIM (GRR)

Horrible...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some pretty cool mammatus clouds over Cincinnati this evening as most of the region was effected by some marginally severe thunderstorms.  

I knew I should have gone to the Reds game tonight ..... I figured it would get rained out but downtown's the one area that has escaped the rain!  

(also, did I really want to go see the Cubs?)

https://twitter.com/MANdersonPR/status/486317115524145152/photo/1

That is an amazing picture!

Special Wx Statement for the LSE area.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LA CROSSE WI
924 PM CDT MON JUL 7 2014

WIZ041-053-080300-
LA CROSSE-VERNON-
924 PM CDT MON JUL 7 2014

...A LINE OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT LA CROSSE AND
NORTHWESTERN VERNON COUNTIES...

AT 923 PM CDT...A LINE OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WAS ALONG A LINE
EXTENDING FROM NEAR DAKOTA TO NEAR NEW ALBIN...AND MOVING EAST AT 35
MPH.

WINDS IN EXCESS OF 40 MPH ARE POSSIBLE WITH THESE STORMS. THESE
WINDS COULD KNOCK DOWN TREE BRANCHES.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

LA CROSSE...ONALASKA...HOLMEN...FRENCH ISLAND...WEST
SALEM...BANGOR...STODDARD...COON VALLEY...BRICE
PRAIRIE...ROCKLAND...CHASEBURG AND GENOA.

For my area:

AT 1025 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR BUFFALO...AND MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.

There hasn't been a post since May 22nd in the Upstate/New York sub-forum. (Aside from my own) They really should just delete that sub-forum completely. Even in winter it is 4-5 posters. I'm so lonely. :(

GRR has the Kentwood tornado touchdown time as 10:20 pm.  I'd have to go back and check but I thought there was a couplet on it before then.  Also, that line about the tornado forming upward is interesting.  They haven't released more detailed survey info yet so I wonder if there were eyewitnesses to that.  It was dark so it's not as easy to see. 

Some pretty cool mammatus clouds over Cincinnati this evening as most of the region was effected by some marginally severe thunderstorms.  

I knew I should have gone to the Reds game tonight ..... I figured it would get rained out but downtown's the one area that has escaped the rain!  

(also, did I really want to go see the Cubs?)

https://twitter.com/MANdersonPR/status/486317115524145152/photo/1

Wow that is an awesome pic.

GRR has the Kentwood tornado touchdown time as 10:20 pm.  I'd have to go back and check but I thought there was a couplet on it before then.  Also, that line about the tornado forming upward is interesting.  They haven't released more detailed survey info yet so I wonder if there were eyewitnesses to that.  It was dark so it's not as easy to see. 

Tornadotony's post (#69) was at 21 minutes past, board time, and figure it took a minute to get it posted. If it touched down in Byron Center, just west of US 131 (with 6 injuries), then the couplet should have been blatantly obvious by the time it crossed over US 131 on it's way to Wyoming and Kentwood. There should have been a warning. 

As for the "tornado forming upward" statement, I'm really not buying that. The rotation happens in the atmosphere, the ground isn't creating a tornado IMO. Sounds like someone grasping at straws to me.

Tornadotony's post (#69) was at 21 minutes past, board time, and figure it took a minute to get it posted. If it touched down in Byron Center, just west of US 131 (with 6 injuries), then the couplet should have been blatantly obvious by the time it crossed over US 131 on it's way to Wyoming and Kentwood. There should have been a warning. 

As for the "tornado forming upward" statement, I'm really not buying that. The rotation happens in the atmosphere, the ground isn't creating a tornado IMO. Sounds like someone grasping at straws to me.

My post was well after the tornado was over.

And as for the "tornado forming upward," that's called a non-descending tornado.  There have been papers authored that show that they are actually rather common.  What's more is that some recent research from OU brings into question whether or not there's actually any such thing as a descending tornado.  Some of the most recent high-res observations suggest that, even if a TVS descends within a storm, there may be a point where a concentrated vortex forms near the surface and rises and that most, if not all, tornadoes are technically non-descending.  This is why you'll never see me say that a tornado "touched down" anymore because it's unlikely that "touching down" ever actually happens.

And as for the "tornado forming upward," that's called a non-descending tornado.  There have been papers authored that show that they are actually rather common.  What's more is that some recent research from OU brings into question whether or not there's actually any such thing as a descending tornado.  Some of the most recent high-res observations suggest that, even if a TVS descends within a storm, there may be a point where a concentrated vortex forms near the surface and rises and that most, if not all, tornadoes are technically non-descending.  This is why you'll never see me say that a tornado "touched down" anymore because it's unlikely that "touching down" ever actually happens.

mind-blown-classic.gif

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

1105 AM EDT TUE JUL 8 2014

OHC011-149-081530-

/O.CON.KILN.TO.W.0026.000000T0000Z-140708T1530Z/

AUGLAIZE OH-SHELBY OH-

1105 AM EDT TUE JUL 8 2014

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1130 AM EDT FOR NORTHERN

SHELBY AND CENTRAL AUGLAIZE COUNTIES...

AT 1102 AM EDT...RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF 

PRODUCING A TORNADO LOCATED 2 MILES EAST OF LAKE LORAMIE STATE 

PARK...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MCCARTYVILLE...ANNA...BOTKINS...SWANDERS...

PORT JEFFERSON...MONTRA AND JACKSON CENTER.

THIS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING INTERSTATE...

I-75 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 95 AND 105...

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.  I didn't know that they were so common.  I believe the 1999 Salt Lake City tornado is one example of a non-descending tornado.

There may have been a tornado touchdown northeast of Valley City with the warning near Cleveland and the tornado may still be on the ground northeast of Brunswick

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH
147 PM EDT TUE JUL 8 2014

OHC035-103-081800-
/O.CON.KCLE.TO.W.0023.000000T0000Z-140708T1800Z/
CUYAHOGA OH-MEDINA OH-
147 PM EDT TUE JUL 8 2014

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 200 PM EDT FOR
NORTHEASTERN MEDINA AND SOUTHEASTERN CUYAHOGA COUNTIES...

AT 141 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A POSSIBLE TORNADO...LOCATED NEAR NORTH ROYALTON...OR NEAR
HINKLEY...MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
SOLON...NORTH ROYALTON AND BRUNSWICK

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH  

403 PM EDT TUE JUL 8 2014  

..EF1 TORNADO CONFIRMED IN MEDINA COUNTY OHIO  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS CONFIRMED AN EF1 TORNADO  

IN MEDINA COUNTY OHIO.  

LOCATION...MEDINA COUNTY (HINCKLEY)  

DATE...JULY 8 2014  

ESTIMATED TIME...1:47 PM EDT  

MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING....EF1  

ESTIMATED WIND SPEED...94 MPH  

MAX PATH WIDTH...150 YARDS  

PATH LENGTH...0.6 MILES  

BEGINNING LAT/LON 41.274/-81.746  

ENDING LAT/LON 41.277/-81.734  

SUMMARY...  

A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN JUST SOUTH OF THE INTERSECTION OF RIDGE ROAD  

AND BOSTON ROAD IN HINCKLEY. A HOME ON RIDGE ROAD HAD MINOR ROOF  

DAMAGE. THE TORNADO TRACKED 0.6 MILES MOVING ACROSS THE WATER  

TREATMENT PLANT AND LIFTING AT THE EASTERN EDGE OF THE VALLEAIRE  

GOLF COURSE OFF OF BOSTON ROAD. TREE DAMAGE OCCURRED AT THE GOLF  

COURSE. WINDS WERE ESTIMATED AT 94 MPH.  

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH  403 PM EDT TUE JUL 8 2014     ..EF1 TORNADO CONFIRMED IN MEDINA COUNTY OHIO    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS CONFIRMED AN EF1 TORNADO  IN MEDINA COUNTY OHIO.     LOCATION...MEDINA COUNTY (HINCKLEY)  DATE...JULY 8 2014  ESTIMATED TIME...1:47 PM EDT  MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING....EF1  ESTIMATED WIND SPEED...94 MPH  MAX PATH WIDTH...150 YARDS  PATH LENGTH...0.6 MILES  BEGINNING LAT/LON 41.274/-81.746  ENDING    LAT/LON 41.277/-81.734     SUMMARY...  A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN JUST SOUTH OF THE INTERSECTION OF RIDGE ROAD   AND BOSTON ROAD IN HINCKLEY. A HOME ON RIDGE ROAD HAD MINOR ROOF   DAMAGE. THE TORNADO TRACKED 0.6 MILES MOVING ACROSS THE WATER   TREATMENT PLANT AND LIFTING AT THE EASTERN EDGE OF THE VALLEAIRE   GOLF COURSE OFF OF BOSTON ROAD. TREE DAMAGE OCCURRED AT THE GOLF   COURSE. WINDS WERE ESTIMATED AT 94 MPH.    

Damn that was fast...

Thank you for clarifying those points, tt. It's just hard for me to get my head around the idea that the rotation originates at the surface instead of aloft. It's always been drilled into me that the rotation forms aloft and works it's way to the ground. 

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON, NY  

255 PM EDT WED JUL 9 2014  

...A NWS STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS SURVEYED DAMAGE FROM A CONFIRMED  

TORNADO NEAR SMITHFIELD NEW YORK...  

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS CONFIRMED THAT A  

TORNADO OCCURRED NEAR SMITHFIELD IN MADISON COUNTY NEW YORK. THE  

TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN A 7:02 PM ON TUESDAY JULY 8TH. THE PATH WIDTH WAS  

235 YARDS AND THE LENGTH WAS 2.5 MILES. THE MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS WITH  

THE TORNADO WERE 100 TO 125 MPH RESULTING IN AN INTENSITY  

DESIGNATION OF EF2.  

THREE HOMES WERE DESTROYED AND FIVE OTHERS SUSTAINED SIGNIFICANT  

DAMAGE. THE STORM FIRST STRUCK A MANUFACTURED HOME WITH SOME  

ADDITIONAL CONSTRUCTION ON GOFF ROAD PRODUCING TWO FATALITIES. A  

BARN AND HOME WERE THEN DESTROYED NEXT TO THIS FIRST HOME ON GOFF ROAD.  

A TRAILER WAS DESTROYED NEXT TO THE BARN WITH ANOTHER FATALITY.  

ANOTHER HOME THEN SUSTAINED SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE FROM FLYING MISSILES.  

ALL OF THIS DESTRUCTION WAS ON GOFF ROAD. ON NORTHRUP ROAD A THREE  

STORY HOME WAS REMOVED FROM ITS FOUNDATION AND THROWN DOWN A HILL  

KILLING THE OCCUPANT. PORTIONS OF THIS HOUSE WERE THROWN INTO  

ANOTHER HOUSE. DAMAGE ON NORTHRUP AND GOFF ROADS WAS CLEARLY  

TORNADIC WITH LOTS OF THROWN DEBRIS AND DOWNED TREES. THE TORNADO  

WEAKENED AND PRODUCED EF1 DAMAGE TO A HOME ON BUTLER ROAD THEN  

WEAKENED TO EF1 AND ENDED ON ROUTE 31.  

Archived