Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
July 6-8 Severe Weather

snowlover2

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this on facebook...

We are working to confirm this - but there is extensive damage in the Wyoming area. NO confirmation of a tornado.

From one of our viewers... "A tornado just struck Wyoming near 54th and 131. We are without power and trees and power lines are down everywhere in the neighborhood. Entire trees were completely uprooted. We could see the funnel cloud leaving when we went out. Nearly every tree is down. The entire landscape of the neighborhood near Ideal Park has changed."

Here we go...

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
240 AM EDT MON JUL 7 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
GENESEE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN...

* UNTIL 330 AM EDT

* AT 237 AM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR FLUSHING...
AND MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING AND TREES.

* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...
MOUNT MORRIS AROUND 245 AM EDT.
FLINT AND THETFORD TOWNSHIP AROUND 250 AM EDT.
GENESEE AND BURTON AROUND 255 AM EDT.
OTISVILLE AROUND 300 AM EDT.
DAVISON AROUND 305 AM EDT.

THE WARNING INCLUDES AREAS SURROUNDING THESE LOCATIONS...
OTISVILLE... MOUNT MORRIS... GRAND BLANC...
GOODRICH... FLUSHING... FLINT...
DAVISON... CLIO... BURTON...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A
BUILDING.

&&

LAT...LON 4322 8379 4322 8347 4287 8345 4298 8387
TIME...MOT...LOC 0640Z 282DEG 29KT 4311 8377

HAIL...<.75IN
WIND...60MPH

Operator of the 26 repeater cannot bring up the severe weather net macro due to signal issues. This storm is pretty bad here, and I'm just inside the SW corner of the warning area, to the north of me, they're really getting hammered right now. Not a good time for radio issues.

Edit: repeater control/macro up at 0306.

Wow, we've had "vivid cloud-to-ground lightning" for over 90 minutes here. We're on the very rear edge of the rain echoes and it's still just as intense, even to the northwest, where there is nothing on the radar at all. I'm really glad the power stayed on.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI  

1214 PM EDT MON JUL 7 2014  

..TORNADO TOUCHES DOWN IN KENTWOOD MI  

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM DAMAGE SURVEY CONCLUDED THAT A TORNADO TOUCHED  

DOWN IN KENTWOOD MI LAST NIGHT. AN EF SCALE RATING WILL BE ASSIGNED TO THE  

TORNADO THIS AFTERNOON AND AN ADDITIONAL PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT WILL BE  

ISSUED WITH THE RATING INFORMATION AND TRACK DETAILS.  

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI  1214 PM EDT MON JUL 7 2014     ..TORNADO TOUCHES DOWN IN KENTWOOD MI    A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM DAMAGE SURVEY CONCLUDED THAT A TORNADO TOUCHED  DOWN IN KENTWOOD MI LAST NIGHT. AN EF SCALE RATING WILL BE ASSIGNED TO THE  TORNADO THIS AFTERNOON AND AN ADDITIONAL PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT WILL BE  ISSUED WITH THE RATING INFORMATION AND TRACK DETAILS.  

Not surprising. The radar data seemed pretty obvious.

Central IN expected to get multi cell convection with heavy rain today but as Hoosier stated the stronger parameters come tonight.  I've moved from the Elkhart area to just ne of Indianapolis a few miles.  I'll miss my lake effect snow.

Wow, big drop off in average.  Your new location probably averages less than half of what Elkhart does.

of course

Mesoscale models been subtly hinting at the stuff in MN/WI making it close to Chicago later tonight and there is a watch now to your northwest, plus you know how these systems can be when they develop a cold pool they can take off. Also Chicago's area isn't completely devoid of instability currently.

Central IN expected to get multi cell convection with heavy rain today but as Hoosier stated the stronger parameters come tonight.  I've moved from the Elkhart area to just ne of Indianapolis a few miles.  I'll miss my lake effect snow.

Sorry for the OT, but I didn't that you were moving. Just over 100 miles due south of your previous location, but quite of climo difference.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a pretty good chasing area down there. Flat and a good road system.

Alek, the storms mentioned are separate from the MCS that will likely develop to your south. Regardless, much of our moisture mixed out so I think those storms in NW Wisconsin will fizzle and/or pass to the north.

I think you stand a likely chance of getting clipped by some storms later. Dewpoints are back up in the mid 60s here.

EDIT: MKX agrees.

10418294_819529058065344_557304367016387

There's no excuse or defense for missing this completely, especially if it's the only severe storm in your CWA.  Dual-pol tornado detection should be something browbeaten into anyone allowed to issue warnings.

attachicon.gifGRR_oopsies.png

I see the couplet on his posted radar image, clear as day. How many scans it was there, Tony would have to tell you as I don't have access to the radar product he used, but I'm guessing it was there more than a couple scans. In MY mind, THAT is a "radar-detected' tornado. 

Now, not sure if anyone has seen this or not, I just found it on facebook as I sat down to eat after working outside most of the day:

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/metro/2014/07/07/why-no-warning-issued-with-kentwood-tornado/12315353/

Basically, it says:

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Meteorologists from the National Weather Service addressed the media late Monday afternoon following Sunday night's EF-1 tornado touchdown in Kent County.

Many residents are wondering why there was no warning or even a watch issued with this storm.

The twister, rated a high-end EF1, had winds of 100-110 miles per hour when it struck at 10:20 p.m. near 64th Street and Burlingame Ave. SW. It was on the ground for 10 minutes and 6.25 miles and was 900-1,200 feet at its widest, according to the NWS. It lifted around 10:30 p.m. near the area of Breton Road and 28th Street SE.

RELATEDEF-1 tornado touchdown confirmed in Kent County

National Weather Service meteorologists say they couldn't detect the twister because it was hidden and rain-wrapped. Meteorologist Daniel Cobb says the tornado also developed behind the radar screen.

He added the twister was also unusual because it was a spin-up tornado, meaning instead of descending towards the ground, like the large funnels you see in the Great Plains, this one started on the ground.

"The time the radar detects the velocity of this one, it's on the ground. It developed right at the base of the ground, and then grew upward, the opposite way it's supposed to happen," he said.

Cobb says the worst damage was from the U.S. 131 and M-6 interchange to 44th Street and Kalamazoo, then it started to weaken. The worst damage was trees snapped in different directions, trees blown into garage doors,and carports ripped off.

Cobb says if this tornado arrived during the day, spotters would have had a better chance of seeing it form.

The last EF-1 to hit Grand Rapids was in 2001. The last tornado was a EF-0 in 2006, at a Caledonia golf course, Cobb said.

***End of post, emphasis on text is mine.  Here's where I'm confused. There was an obvious couplet on radar, we saw this, so how does "National Weather Service meteorologists say they couldn't detect the twister because it was hidden and rain-wrapped" occur?

Also, what does "Meteorologist Daniel Cobb says the tornado also developed behind the radar screen" mean exactly? (Sorry, this editor won't let me unbold stuff for some reason)

Some pretty cool mammatus clouds over Cincinnati this evening as most of the region was effected by some marginally severe thunderstorms.  

I knew I should have gone to the Reds game tonight ..... I figured it would get rained out but downtown's the one area that has escaped the rain!  

(also, did I really want to go see the Cubs?)

https://twitter.com/MANdersonPR/status/486317115524145152/photo/1

post-3118-0-58629600-1404783663_thumb.jp

Archived