Newest Member
    Monty
July 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under, 48.

It's a tough one for me.  With this airmass, it would be a no-brainer if we had perfect radiational cooling but it looks like the winds may stay up a bit.  If LAF doesn't go sub-50 then I'd certainly think the normally cooler spots around here will do it. 

So Detroit made it to a high of 73*F today.

The day was actually a lot better than I expected. Aside from some renegade showers, it was a mix of sun and clouds all day (no stratocumulus deck).

Even a record cold 850mb airmass will support peaking in the low 70s with some sunshine in mid-July. The day was absolutely perfect.

michsnowfreak, on 15 Jul 2014 - 6:55 PM, said:
Even a record cold 850mb airmass will support peaking in the low 70s with some sunshine in mid-July. The day was absolutely perfect.

Besides seeing more sun that expected (actually had full sunshine for a good part of the morning) , the fact that we had a strong downsloping wind all day helped.

Areas to our west that saw less sun and didn't benefit from the downsloping wind stayed in the low-mid 60s.

Basically, it was the same process that causes those rogue overachieving 90*F+ days.

Peaked at 68 here.

Less pavement and 400 ft elevation perhaps?

It was noticeable warmer the farther SE you went.

post-7333-0-63693400-1405475871_thumb.jp

Picked up almost a half inch of lake effect/enhanced rain over night. Seems so odd to see the narrow bands develop in July. Only 3 more months until these bands can realistically start producing snow again.

Archived