Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
July 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow is looking like a hot one! High 83° today.

SWS issued.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL847 PM CDT MON JUL 21 2014ILZ003>006-008-010>014-019>023-032-033-039-INZ001-002-010-011-019-220900-WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-LAKE IL-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-COOK-LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-KANKAKEE-LIVINGSTON-IROQUOIS-FORD-LAKE IN-PORTER-NEWTON-JASPER-BENTON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK...WAUKEGAN...OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEATON...CHICAGO...OTTAWA...OSWEGO...MORRIS...JOLIET...KANKAKEE...PONTIAC...WATSEKA...PAXTON...GARY...VALPARAISO...MOROCCO...RENSSELAER...FOWLER847 PM CDT MON JUL 21 2014 /947 PM EDT MON JUL 21 2014/...HOT AND HUMID CONDITIONS ON TUESDAY...A COMBINATION OF AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 90S ANDHIGH DEW POINTS ON TUESDAY WILL RESULT IN MAXIMUM HEAT INDEXVALUES RANGING FROM 95 TO 105 DEGREES. GIVEN A GENERAL LACK OFHIGH HEAT SO FAR THIS SUMMER...TUESDAY WILL BE THE HOTTEST DAY OFTHE YEAR FOR MOST OF THE AREA.HEAT SAFETY PRECAUTIONS SHOULD BE TAKEN FOR THOSE AT RISK TO HEATRELATED ILLNESSES OR IF YOU WILL BE SPENDING PROLONGED PERIODS OFTIME OUTDOORS.$$RC

On July 8th, 2003 Dhahran, Saudi Arabia had a dewpoint of 95F with an air temperature of 108F which made for a heat index value of 176F...the highest value Mr. Burt is aware of anywhere in the world.

Should plug in some values and do some CAPE calculations for that. Could probably pull some 15000 J/kg readings or whatever silliness.

Actually the fact that Appleton got to 101/90 is rather sickening in itself. Updrafts feeding on that would be practically supersonic.

Definitely looks like a good shot at a few 80 degree dews around here tomorrow afternoon/evening.  The cold front orienting NE/SW compared to a more N/S orientation today.  This should allow dews to really pool ahead of the advancing front tomorrow afternoon. 

Heard the first cicadas of the year tonight.  Always a sign that summer is fully mature, and it will be back to school before too much longer.  As a kid I always hated to hear the cicadas because summer vacation was more than halfway over lol.

Definitely looks like a good shot at a few 80 degree dews around here tomorrow afternoon/evening.  The cold front orienting NE/SW compared to a more N/S orientation today.  This should allow dews to really pool ahead of the advancing front tomorrow afternoon. 

Heard the first cicadas of the year tonight.  Always a sign that summer is fully mature, and it will be back to school before too much longer.  As a kid I always hated to hear the cicadas because summer vacation was more than halfway over lol.

Last time it happened at MLI was August 2, 2011.

Should plug in some values and do some CAPE calculations for that. Could probably pull some 15000 J/kg readings or whatever silliness.

Actually the fact that Appleton got to 101/90 is rather sickening in itself. Updrafts feeding on that would be practically supersonic.

I did just that. I pulled the 7/14/95 00Z sounding from Green Bay (Appleton is close) and adjusted the surface readings to 101/90 and got an SBCAPE of 13000 j/kg.

The GRB sounding was actually 98/77 so either the Appleton site was in the middle of a corn field with evapotranspiration in overdrive or the Td reading is highly suspect.

IND gained 7 degrees yesterday from the noon temp. 83 today at 12pm, so if a repeat happens...first 90 of the year will be on the board. Should have no cloud issues either. As for LAF, gonna need some help. Hoosier nervously biting his nails as we speak.

Perfect pool day though. Soaking it up right now.

IND gained 7 degrees yesterday from the noon temp. 83 today at 12pm, so if a repeat happens...first 90 of the year will be on the board. Should have no cloud issues either. As for LAF, gonna need some help. Hoosier nervously biting his nails as we speak.

Perfect pool day though. Soaking it up right now.

LAF failing me at the wrong time...tied for coolest in the state right now.   :(

It'll be funny in a way if we don't make it.  850 mb temps in the low 20s, clouds not much of an issue...without knowing anything else, that alone would make you think it would be very likely to reach the 90s but those 850 mb temps don't do much good if you're not mixing that deep.

LAF failing me at the wrong time...tied for coolest in the state right now. :(

It'll be funny in a way if we don't make it. 850 mb temps in the low 20s, clouds not much of an issue...without knowing anything else, that alone would make you think it would be very likely to reach the 90s but those 850 mb temps don't do much good if you're not mixing that deep.

I think the old LAF is dead. As you describe, on days like today, it used to be leading the state in temps. Now...not so much.

IND 84 at 1pm. Might need a decent size intra-hour bump...

I think the old LAF is dead. As you describe, on days like today, it used to be leading the state in temps. Now...not so much.

IND 84 at 1pm. Might need a decent size intra-hour bump...

I wonder if soil moisture is playing a role.  I just checked and LAF is wetter than almost everywhere else in the state this month.

88/71 at MKE. On our way to first 90

Are our 850 temps any higher than the likes of LAF atm?  I think the reason we're ahead of them is more due to the fact that their temp fell more this morning into the 60s, while our low was 70F, but I am wondering if you can check anyways.

Are our 850 temps any higher than the likes of LAF atm?  I think the reason we're ahead of them is more due to the fact that their temp fell more this morning into the 60s, while our low was 70F, but I am wondering if you can check anyways.

Warmer 925 and 850mb temps and possibly, slightly better mixing depths. 00z DVN and GRB soundings from last night showed the top of the mixed layer at 900mb, so its probably similar today.

Archived