Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
July 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to see how warm we get tomorrow. Models all in agreement on moisture advection through the afternoon tomorrow as the front approaches with dews climbing into the low 70's with no mixing signals and the 925mb thermal axis to the west near cycloneville, I could see only upper 80's here with the hottest temps out near the IA border but we'll see.

Looking around the world tonight the highest moisture levels are near the Red Sea, with several locations reporting dews of 86.  These areas can see dews exceed 90 when the conditions are right.  Makes the 70s to near 80 we see around here a few times a year seem pretty tame. 

they drop off so fast as you move inland

worst climo for sure

brutal heat/humidity and lame weather

According to weather historian Christopher Burt the highest dewpoint recorded in the US was 91F in Melbourne, FL on July 12th, 1987. Readings of 90F in Appleton, WI on July 13th, 1995 and 90F in New Orleans on July 30th, 1987 get notable mentions as well. The Appleton reading included an air temperature of 101F which made for a heat index value 148F...the highest in the US.

On July 8th, 2003 Dhahran, Saudi Arabia had a dewpoint of 95F with an air temperature of 108F which made for a heat index value of 176F...the highest value Mr. Burt is aware of anywhere in the world.

Record Dew Point Temperatures

On a scale of 1-10, level of concern about coming up shy of 90 tomorrow:  7

Concerned about mixing depth on forecast soundings. 

What's the local hero have for tomorrow, 98º?  :lol:

Don't lose sleep though, we'll get to 90º mañana.

What's the local hero have for tomorrow, 98º?  :lol:

Don't lose sleep though, we'll get to 90º mañana.

Chad's going with 91-95.  Personally think that may be a bit optimistic.  It'll be close and I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting on an intrahour ob to see if we made it.

central great plains climo kind of sucks in general...regular scorching heat with high dews, the svr is isolated in nature, winters are cold and dry...ugh

i can guess they can look forward to multiple 2-4" blizzard warnings

Good friends of ours live in Fargo...worst place on the planet to live for most of the year...outside of the below 0F days, the constant flooding, the non stop winds, the flooding, the scorching temps...  the 2 inch snowstorms that shut down all the roads.

I'd live in Omaha.  At least winter there is mild most years.  Sister lived there for many years, now lives by Green Bay...wishes they could move back. 

central great plains climo kind of sucks in general...regular scorching heat with high dews, the svr is isolated in nature, winters are cold and dry...ugh

i can guess they can look forward to multiple 2-4" blizzard warnings

Very true, though I don't think the severe being isolated in nature is any different from the case in most places in the US.  It's the extreme temps in both directions along with frequent drought that makes it easy to declare it a worse climo than the Great Lakes.

Curious to see how warm we get tomorrow. Models all in agreement on moisture advection through the afternoon tomorrow as the front approaches with dews climbing into the low 70's with no mixing signals and the 925mb thermal axis to the west near cycloneville, I could see only upper 80's here with the hottest temps out near the IA border but we'll see.

Odds are we end up in the upper 80's, and any storm action remains isolated.

Des Moines is currently 92/76/105

Omaha 96/73/106

Lincoln NE 100/74/112...yuck

Toasty. 

KADU in western IA at 93/82/117, but don't know if that's a reliable AWOS.  York NE (KJYR) is 95/81/116.  The TWC dude from yesterday probably thinks that's pretty wimpy though compared to the 105/37 in Phoenix right now.

I'm beginning to doubt we hit 90 tomorrow. I think this upper level smoke is lowering temperatures. We were supposed to do 84-87 today and the best we could do is 83. Tomorrow is supposed to be 88-92, I bet we hit 88 and fall back from there.

Big mayfly hatch the other nite.   We can get them so bad that the roads will get slick from dead bugs.  They come up from the bottom of the Mississippi...I guess it means the Miss isn't as polluted as thought.

TrempGasStation.jpg

July202014.gif

We get them here in Michigan too, though we call them fishflies. They are so attracted to lights, so gas stations, car lots, and shopping centers get inundated with them. Like the .gif you posts they usually show up on DTX's radar when they emerge from Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie.

Archived