• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
July 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

I think we're going to do it this time but not all 3 days as MOS suggests. To Alek's point, it must be pretty rare to go through an entire year without a 90 degree temp here.

Indeed. Indy has only done it once, and they have a lengthy period of record.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just stating the obvious but still plenty of 90+ climo remaining on the table for yall

i'm still in the no-90's club..... Its statistically likely that I will see a 90's and my streak will end, but getting through June and July without a 90 degree reading is pretty rare.

Regarding the 90F talk...

So far Detroit has hit 90F once (June 17th - 91F)

There have been 3 years since records began in 1874 where 90F was never hit...

1882 (yearly max 88F)

1907 (yearly max 87F)

1915 (yearly max 89F)

So far this July, Detroit had not hit 90F. The monthly maximum so far is 87F. Since 1874, there have been 14 Julys where no 90F was reached, although 8 of those were before 1923, and 3 since 2000, with just 3 from 1923-1999.

1875 - max 86F

1882 - max 88F

1884 - max 89F

1891 - max 89F

1907 - max 86F

1912 - max 87F

1915 - max 87F

1922 - max 89F

1943 - max 89F

1979 - max 87F

1992 - max 83F

2000 - max 87F

2008 - max 89F

2009 - max 86F

2014 - max 87F thru 7/19

LEAST AMOUNT OF 90F DAYS in a YEAR

0 days - 3 times (1882, 1907, 1915)

1 day -- 6 times (1875, 1877, 1883, 1885, 1979, 2000)

2 days - 2 times (1886, 1992)

3 days - 10 times (1880, 1889, 1902, 1904, 1905, 1909, 1982, 1985, 1989, 2004)

So 21 times in 140 years Detroit hit 90F+ 3 times or less. HOWEVER...14 of those 21 times were BEFORE 1916, and the other 7 were AFTER 1978, so not once from 1916 to 1978 did we hit 90F less than 4 times. The occurrance of 90F days was noticeably less from 1874-1920 (though obviously there were a few torrid days in that stretch) and then from 1930-1960  we hit 90F+ at a crazy pace, which has since tapered off. Where are we today? Well...in the middle:

1874-1929: Avg 7.6 days per year

1930-1959: Avg 16.8 days per year

1960-2013: Avg 12.2 days per year

Decade with the most: 1930s averaged 18.7 days

Decade with the least: 1880s averaged 5.1 days

drove up to MSP for a few days to enjoy some of this summer's cool air on the lake. Excessive Heat Watch now on tap for Monday with the HI over 105. Great, just great.  :facepalm:

Sorry about that bad timing.  If you want to guarantee a summer retreat away from the furnace, try Door County next time.

Have 89/90 in the point Mon/Tue here.

The mosquitoes about carried me away out there last evening while mowing. About as bad as I've ever seen around here. Was kind of making me look forward to the first hard freeze lol.

Out in your neck of the woods this weekend....totally agree on the squiters....i actually started laughing at how bad they were getting towards sundown yesterday...normally you hear the 1 or 2 trying to buzz your ear...but last night there were so many flying around me that i could actually hear the collective buzz...pretty crazy. Speaking of which....thank god for the little breeze today keeping the biting gnats at bay somewhat

Still has not hit 90° here this year. Grass could use a little rain soon. Only 1.13" of rain so far this month.

75°/58° currently with slightly "milky" sunny skies. Tomorrow is lookin' like about 83° or so.

July averages 5 days of 90F+ per year, the most of any month. I think we will squeeze out a 90F here Tuesday, especially with DTW's tendency for brief intrahour spikes during the summer, but if we dont at some point this 3-day warm spell, looking at the extended, this would become the 3rd July since 2008, and 4th since 2000, that Detroit did not hit 90F. This would be extremely impressive to have that happen 4 times in 15 years. Before 2000, that happened 4 times in the previous 85 years! Just 6 of the 15 Julys since 2000 will have more than the average number of 90F days, yet two of the hottest Julys on record (2011 & 2012) were sandwiched in there. Interesting data in what is, to me, the most boring time of the year weather-wise.

July averages 5 days of 90F+ per year, the most of any month. I think we will squeeze out a 90F here Tuesday, especially with DTW's tendency for brief intrahour spikes during the summer, but if we dont at some point this 3-day warm spell, looking at the extended, this would become the 3rd July since 2008, and 4th since 2000, that Detroit did not hit 90F. This would be extremely impressive to have that happen 4 times in 15 years. Before 2000, that happened 4 times in the previous 85 years! Just 6 of the 15 Julys since 2000 will have more than the average number of 90F days, yet two of the hottest Julys on record (2011 & 2012) were sandwiched in there. Interesting data in what is, to me, the most boring time of the year weather-wise.

I still haven't hit 90 yet this year, my last 90+ day was Sept 10th 2013.

Tuesday is a threat to end that streak.

Some moron on TWC was just mentioning the heat advisories for MN and pretty much poo-pooed it by saying conditions like these wouldn't necessarily warrant advisories in other parts of the country, like the southwest.  I'd love for someone in Arizona who experiences 100 degree heat with sub 60 degree dews on a daily basis to come experience 90 degree heat with dews approaching 80 and see what's worse.  So basically the dude on TWC called the Midwesterners a bunch of ******* for hoisting heat advisories for such wimpy heat.  What a prick. 

Some moron on TWC was just mentioning the heat advisories for MN and pretty much poo-pooed it by saying conditions like these wouldn't necessarily warrant advisories in other parts of the country, like the southwest.  I'd love for someone in Arizona who experiences 100 degree heat with sub 60 degree dews on a daily basis to come experience 90 degree heat with dews approaching 80 and see what's worse.  So basically the dude on TWC called the Midwesterners a bunch of ******* for hoisting heat advisories for such wimpy heat.  What a prick. 

Yeah that is awful.  Granted dry heat is bad because the need for water is about as great, but the overall feel and persistent dripping sweat with a 90/75 or 90/80 combo is pretty clearly more brutal feeling.

It's TWC.

You're wasting too much energy on their logic (or lack thereof).

It would be just as bad as a meteorologist who grew up in Chicago / Minneapolis / Detroit poo-pooing a 1-2" snowstorm to their audience in Atlanta. 

Hit 79° here today. Not too humid, but not really dry either.

Note..! Air quality alert for Greater Chicagoland tomorrow!

INZ001-002-220500-LAKE IN-PORTER-1154 AM CDT SUN JUL 20 2014...AIR QUALITY ALERT IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING TO MIDNIGHTCDT MONDAY NIGHT...THE INDIANA DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT IS FORECASTINGAIR QUALITY ACTION DAYS FOR TOMORROW...SUNDAY JULY 20TH ANDMONDAY JULY 21ST. THIS INCLUDES THE COUNTIES OF LAKE AND PORTER INNORTHWEST INDIANA.OZONE LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO BE IN THE ORANGE OR UNHEALTHY FORSENSITIVE GROUPS RANGE. ACTIVE CHILDREN AND ADULTS...AND PEOPLEWITH RESPIRATORY DISEASE SUCH AS ASTHMA SHOULD LIMIT PROLONGEDOUTDOOR EXERTION.FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT THE IDEM SMOG WATCH WEBSITE ATWWW.IN.GOV/APPS/IDEM/SMOG/ OR THE EPA AIRNOW WEB SITE ATWWW.AIRNOW.GOV AND CLICK ON INDIANA.$$
ILZ005-006-012>014-020>022-220500-MCHENRY-LAKE IL-KANE-DUPAGE-COOK-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-1154 AM CDT SUN JUL 20 2014...AIR QUALITY ALERT IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT CDTMONDAY NIGHT...THE ILLINOIS ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY HAS DETERMINED THAT AN AIRPOLLUTION ACTION DAY WILL BE DECLARED FOR MONDAY JULY 21ST FORTHE GREATER CHICAGO METROPOLITAN AREA INCLUDING THE COUNTIES OF ...COOK...DUPAGE...KANE...KENDALL...GRUNDY...LAKE...MCHENRY AND WILL.AN AIR POLLUTION ACTION DAY IS DECLARED WHEN WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE SUCHTHAT WIDESPREAD OZONE AND OR PARTICULATE LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AT ORABOVE THE UNHEALTHY FOR SENSITIVE GROUPS CATEGORY OF THE AIR QUALITYINDEX.  ACTIVE CHILDREN AND ADULTS AND ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WITH PULMONARYOR RESPIRATORY DISEASE SUCH AS ASTHMA SHOULD LIMIT PROLONGED OUTDOORACTIVITY.PARTICIPANTS IN THE...PARTNERS FOR CLEAN AIR PROGRAM...ARE REQUESTED TOINITIATE THEIR ACTIVITIES.  AREA RESIDENTS ARE ALSO URGED TO REDUCEPOLLUTION LEVELS.  AQI FORECASTS AND TIPS ON HOW YOU CAN REDUCE YOUREMISSIONS CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.CLEANTHEAIR.ORGTHIS WILL BE THE 2ND AIR POLLUTION ACTION DAY IN 2014.INFORMATION AND AQI LEVELS CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT WWW.EPA.STATE.IL.USAND AT WWW.AIRNOW.GOVMEDIA CONTACT... 217 558 1536

IWX posted about this on their Facebook page Thursday evening:

attachicon.gifsmoke image IWX Facebook.png

You should direct them over to my thread Clouds - 2014 in the Outdoor and Weather Photography section. The last image in both post 75 and post 76 are images of smoke stuck up in the upper layers. They show up real well post sunset when the smoke is still in the light but it is dark at the surface.

Archived