Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
July 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so much. Clouds rolled in around 5:00AM. Couldn't even get as cool as yesterday morning. :lol:

EDIT: hit 50º again. Such a tease.

Fair number of 40's reported elsewhere in the state though.

lol, we're failing at everything since the end of winter.  51 degrees at 4 AM, you figure we'd have it locked up.

44 here this morning with thick fog.... cold spot as usual, Grayling, 39. should see 70's for the first time since Monday.

APX:

Congratulations northern Michigan, you Win. Northern Michigan reported the coldest afternoon high temperatures yesterday for the entire lower 48 and much of Canada.

Our place is about 8 miles due south of Grayling, it's crazy sometimes how much colder it is there compared to us. They are a little lower in elevation in a large valley so I'm sure thats why.

attachicon.gif10534758_667473176660616_1955461825017015769_n.png

Well one good thing about this cool weather, you don't have to worry about mosquitoes to speak of.

Temperature Info from UGN showed it dipped to 48° this morning. 

Enough of a light wind gradient to allow for a lake breeze today. Currently 71° at Waukegan, 75°+ inland.

Well one good thing about this cool weather, you don't have to worry about mosquitoes to speak of.

Temperature Info from UGN showed it dipped to 48° this morning. 

Enough of a light wind gradient to allow for a lake breeze today. Currently 71° at Waukegan, 75°+ inland.

Wow, not here.   The mosquitoes have been the worst I can ever remember here.   Just horrible.  Even during the day you need to spray yourself or you're screwed.   I'm not sure why but I assume the wet and cool weather has been perfect for them.

Wow, not here.   The mosquitoes have been the worst I can ever remember here.   Just horrible.  Even during the day you need to spray yourself or you're screwed.   I'm not sure why but I assume the wet and cool weather has been perfect for them.

Same and you would be correct, cool and wet is very favorable for mosquitos.

44 here this morning with thick fog.... cold spot as usual, Grayling, 39. should see 70's for the first time since Monday.

APX:

Congratulations northern Michigan, you Win. Northern Michigan reported the coldest afternoon high temperatures yesterday for the entire lower 48 and much of Canada.

Our place is about 8 miles due south of Grayling, it's crazy sometimes how much colder it is there compared to us. They are a little lower in elevation in a large valley so I'm sure thats why.

attachicon.gif10534758_667473176660616_1955461825017015769_n.png

Grayling is the coldest spot in the country at least once per year. 

I drive through that stretch of I-75 at least a dozen times per year and each time I go through Grayling, my car thermometer bottoms outs. The elevation, the trees, who knows.... its just a cold spot consistently. I will record 10 degrees in Mount pleasant, then -15 in Grayling and back up to around zero in Gaylord quite often during an early morning pass through on that stretch of highway.

I drive through that stretch of I-75 at least a dozen times per year and each time I go through Grayling, my car thermometer bottoms outs. The elevation, the trees, who knows.... its just a cold spot consistently. I will record 10 degrees in Mount pleasant, then -15 in Grayling and back up to around zero in Gaylord quite often during an early morning pass through on that stretch of highway.

They are in the Au Sable River valley, the airport is also in the valley which is why they run colder in the winter. Look at some of the colder spots in the state comparatively to their surroundings. Big Rapids/Muskegon River Valley. Ann Arbor/Huron River Valley and Pellston/Maple River Valley.

a lot of the time Pellston is the cold spot in N MI too.  It's easy to see why, as they sit in a bowl pretty much and are wide open at the airport.

They are in the Au Sable River valley, the airport is also in the valley which is why they run colder in the winter. Look at some of the colder spots in the state comparatively to their surroundings. Big Rapids/Muskegon River Valley. Ann Arbor/Huron River Valley and Pellston/Maple River Valley.

The first place in the lower peninsula to have foliage change colors is right near Grayling, I have witnessed it as early as Sept 1st.

Wow, the GFS and Euro reminds me of Congress the middle of next week, they can't agree on anything.

The Euro dumps a sharp trough and backdoor cold front through the lakes while the GFS depicts ridging expanding across the area.

Just based on climo, the American model wins.

So I wonder if the GFS is running a bit too moist for early next week:

I would say yes, I don't think those 85 degree dew points will verify :lmao:

Talking about those 85 dew points... the GFS still has them. Check out this ridiculous sounding for NW Iowa at 132 hours.

post-1182-0-60970000-1405652618_thumb.gi

Ahh only 9000 J/kg of SBCAPE, of course the low level moisture is hilariously wrong.

Btw this one is a bit better:

UxBCSih.gif

Save worthy stuff there.

Not easy to get 85 degree dewpoints and have to think the GFS is overdone, but with deep moisture and if mixing isn't a problem then maybe some areas reach 80?

Save worthy stuff there.

Not easy to get 85 degree dewpoints and have to think the GFS is overdone, but with deep moisture and if mixing isn't a problem then maybe some areas reach 80?

Oh I do think 80 is certainly possible, it is mid summer with corn well established plus it has been a wet summer thus far. I'll tell you this though if storms were to form in that type of atmosphere, you would be talking about some crazy amounts of rain with multicell clusters especially considering the storm motion is only 10-15kts.

We've gotten this far without one, have to root for failure. :devilsmilely:

I think we're going to do it this time but not all 3 days as MOS suggests.  To Alek's point, it must be pretty rare to go through an entire year without a 90 degree temp here.

Archived