• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
End of March, beginning of April "could it snow again" talk

HM

Low pressure placement looks way different, ridge not nearly as pronounced. But there are some similarities. Still 10 days away, this winter I wouldn't believe it if it were 2 days away.

Lol, obviously the placement of the exact Highs & Lows and the pronouncement of the ridge isn't going to be perfect, but the features are overall in similar places....Do you expect analog pattern to look 1000% identical? I posted it as a joke though anyway, but just found it funny how you initially didn't see "any" similarities until Ian posted he saw some. 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, obviously the placement of the exact Highs & Lows and the pronouncement of the ridge isn't going to be perfect, but the features are overall in similar places....Do you expect analog pattern to look 1000% identical? I posted it as a joke though anyway, but just found it funny how you initially didn't see "any" similarities until Ian posted he saw some.

Dude chill out,my god. Like amped said it's hard to distinguish cape cod from ocean city on those maps. It's all in good fun. We all understand the point you were trying to make, and of course the placement of the highs and lows are not going to be exact. I'm not as knowledgable as most posters on this forum as far as interpreting maps so I shouldn't have really commented.

Right where we want it at this lead

persistent trough over Asia day 10 on Euro....no lasting heat on the EC anytime soon, warmish rain at best

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!Asia!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014032712!!/

HM talkin' April snow - man this winter may NEVER EVER end. HM talkin' April snows in DC and N VA prompted me to think immediately of THIS hit from 1980. I don't know why but the song just came to mind. Man we really need to have a massive party celebrating this winter! We'd put Mardi Gras to shame

The trough that plows through the C USA into the Northeast next weekend / week may possibly set up the last wintry threat. I still think 4/4-5 needs watching (the low that sets up threat toward 4/7-10) for the interior. Before the 4/7-10 event arrives here, it will likely be a prolific severe weather producer. Tropical forcing, analogs etc. all it's a "go" in that department.

The trough that plows through the C USA into the Northeast next weekend / week may possibly set up the last wintry threat. I still think 4/4-5 needs watching (the low that sets up threat toward 4/7-10) for the interior. Before the 4/7-10 event arrives here, it will likely be a prolific severe weather producer. Tropical forcing, analogs etc. all it's a "go" in that department.

I like the springtime pattern although it's not as cold, the Jet is much weaker and there is more potential for cutoffs and slow moving systems.

The 12zGFS is interesting day7-10 especially north of NYC. 12z  GGEM has a suppressed system day 7 followed by an apps runner day 10 with lots of rain.  It's still an interesting 10 days even if the wintery and severe miss our backyard..

The GWO looks to have died down, and MJO is in Phase 2, so I'm interested to know where the forcing is coming from?

D7-10 definitely worth keeping casual eye on. Euro keeps the primary strong and west but there's a pretty good wall of hp in se canada. It's low confidence/low probability but a couple ingredients are seem to be consistently there. We haven't had a good mid 30's rain for a while either.

NOW we get a slow moving, cutoff low. NOW we get all the qpf - RAIN RAIN RAIN.

Congrats to the mountains though, as colder air wraps around this puppy - some mountain locales will get 10 inches of fresh spring snow.

I'll enjoy my 3 to 5 inches of rain

MODEL GUIDANCE IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE LOW BECOMING OCCLUDED AS
IT MOVES TOWARD THE DELMARVA ERY SUNDAY. THE TRACK OF THE LOW WILL
SLOW DOWN AND HUG THE COAST ON SUNDAY AS IT BECOMES VERTICALLY
STACKED AND CUTOFF FROM THE MAIN WESTERLIES. NW FLOW AROUND THE
BACKSIDE OF THE LOW WILL DRAW COLDER AIR INTO THE MTS LATE TNGT AND
ON SUNDAY. 12Z NAM/GFS MODELS HAVE TRENDED QUICKER COMPARED TO
EARLIER RUNS WITH REGARDS TO THE ARRIVAL OF THE COLDER AIR. BUFKIT
PROFILES SUPPORT RAIN MIXING WITH AND THEN CHANGING OVER TO SNOW
ALONG THE WRN HIGHLANDS AND ALLEGHENY FRONT DURING THE ERY MRNG HRS.
A DEFORMATION BAND ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE MID-LVL LOW WILL PRODUCE A
PERIOD OF MOD TO HVY SNOW ON SUN IN THESE AREAS. A WINTER WX
ADVISORY WAS ISSUED WITH 3-6 INCHES OF SNOW EXPECTED. FCST SNOWFALL
ACCUMULATIONS IN THE ADVISORY AREAS ARE LOWER THAN THE GFS/NAM
AMOUNTS AND CLOSER TO THE 09Z SREF MEAN. A CONSERVATIVE FCST WAS
MADE WITH REMAINING UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE TIMING OF THE
CHANGEOVER...EXACT LOCATION OF THE DEFORMATION BAND AND WARM GROUND
TEMPS. FUTURE SHIFTS MAY NEED TO UPGRADE TO A WINTER STORM WARNING.
RAIN MAY MIX WITH SNOW AS FAR EAST AS THE BLUE RIDGE MTS SUN
AFTN...WITH EVEN LGT ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE ALONG THE RIDGES.

March showers bring loads of April flowers. Damn I hate spring

I wanted a cutoff low SO EFFIN BAD a few days ago! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN man it makes me want to cry RIVERS over all the rain I am going to get. DAMN DAMN DAMN  :weep:  :weep:  :weep:  :weep:  :weep:

IF the NAM is right AND If it comes down hard enough in the North Central MD Highlands, it could be enough for a blizzard warning. Winds will meet criteria and it could fall below 1/4mi for 3 hrs. Borderline, but possible.

Dude way to many IFs there in that post. If only it weren't the NAM, and if it wasn't Spring, then it might be winter... Blizzard warning? lol. It likely wont even snow at all in those areas you mentioned.

Dude way to many IFs there in that post. If only it weren't the NAM, and if it wasn't Spring, then it might be winter... Blizzard warning? lol. It likely wont even snow at all in those areas you mentioned.

6" in Davis, WV and still snowing according to reports.  4"+ in Garrett County, MD.

Archived