g0ldl10n
    Newest Member
    g0ldl10n
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn that further east low, this would have been tucked right into the coast. Lot of coulda woulda shoulda with this storm.

Yeah, as in coulda/woulda... really SHOULDA not spent 10 hours of my life tracking this disaster ... or about 4 days when you count up the previous March debacles.

And yet, I can't look away!

?? 

That was the big model failure for the 1-25-00 surprise storm. The 18z eta started bringing the storm back closer to

the coast while the previous 0z and 12z that day were OTS. There was a lot of chatter at the time on what little

web discussion outlets there were discussing modle runs at the time. Classic lost and found system where

things looked good long range but disappeared until practically storm time. Some local AFDs had some

interesting comments. That was about a rare of a model mishap in post 80's or 90's that I have seen.

That was the big model failure for the 1-25-00 surprise storm. The 18z eta started bring the storm back closer to

the coast while the previous 0z and 12z that day were OTS. There was a lot of chatter at the time on what little

web discussion outlets there were discussing modle runs at the time.

OK, gotchya.  Might want to double check the date you actually wrote in your post, though.

This March....its been rough. If this storm is nothing, its been countless hours tracking a dusting from the 1 storm out of 3. That being said what a move on the NAM. 

The thing about this storm is that it has never really been a hit and yet definitely tracked here like it was.  I get part of it, the storm does really blow up, and it is the end of the season.  But you can't blame the models this time, they have been saying it would be a miss for days on end.

The thing about this storm is that it has never really been a hit and yet definitely tracked here like it was.  I get part of it, the storm does really blow up, and it is the end of the season.  But you can't blame the models this time, they have been saying it would be a miss for days on end.

True

OK, gotchya.  Might want to double check the date you actually wrote in your post, though.

That was one of the few times that it was actually worth while to look at an 18z model run for a big pickup

under 24 hrs out from storm time.

That was the big model failure for the 1-25-00 surprise storm. The 18z eta started bringing the storm back closer to

web discussion outlets there were discussing modle runs at the time. Classic lost and found system where

things looked good long range but disappeared until practically storm time. Some local AFDs had some

interesting comments. That was about a rare of a model mishap in post 80's or 90's that I have seen.

Was that the one where a  forecaster from Silver Springs MD put out a bulletin that said I don't care what the model shows, the radar doesn't lie. I wish I had kept it.

If (and its a big if) the 0Z NAM kept up with the 18Z, I might give it credit, but it *has* to have some run-to-run continuity before I do.

The GFS has been moving pretty significantly as well. The last 4 GFS runs have all featured a continued sharpening of the trough and increase in strength of the Azores high.

It's in the low 30's right now. If we take the NAM verbatim, we would get 1-3". March climo issues? Accumulation issues? Nope. Ground is cold and is preparing for the snow like you were jumping out a window and there were people ready to catch you. Sun Angle? Nope. Timing is overnight. Rates? We dont need 35dbz to accumulate.

H5 heights are aligned slightly differently, but the biggest difference between 18z and 12z is when the low is off the Florida/Georgia coast, it is actually 4mb weaker at 12z than 18z. It doesn't pop the second low off of Florida.

Yup I saw the 4k nam trying to do that yesterday...it should handle the thunderstorms better than the globals.

Ill take the 18z gfs for $100

Archived