• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

I think 952 mb is the record for a non-tropical within 150 miles of the BM.

The lowest non-hurricane barometric pressure reading in the lower 48 states is 28.10" (952 mb) measured at Bridgehampton, New York (Long Island) during an amazing nor'easter on March 1, 1914 (see Kocin and Uccellini,"Northeast Snowstorms; Vol. 2., p. 324, American Meteorological Society, 2004.) T

The Euro has a pressure of 951mb around 40N66W

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this one is pretty hard to swallow, outside of one GGEM run that went bonkers, this never looked like more than a glancing blow for our area.

True.  It was close enough to keep our interest, but the guidance as a whole did well keeping this offshore and a non factor for most.  

While this one is pretty hard to swallow, outside of one GGEM run that went bonkers, this never looked like more than a glancing blow for our area.

Yeah I think that's the point that should remembered for this storm. It never showed a big hit for our area ! It did not trend away from a big hit by any means. It just did not become a big hit. Models did a great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True.  It was close enough to keep our interest, but the guidance as a whole did well keeping this offshore and a non factor for most.  

I think a lot of us just assumed that the models couldn't be right four and five days out. Just goes to show you that the way the models handle one storm has nothing to do with what will happen with the next storm.

Following the UKMET's example, the ECMWF made a big move in the direction of the U.S. guidance at 12z. Many parts of the northern Mid-Atlantic region into southern New England saw reductions in qpf of 25% or more. Baltimore and Washington, DC were among the small number of areas seeing an increase in qpf.

Below are the changes in qpf for select locations:

03242014_1.jpg

NOTE: Not all the qpf is snow.

Sort of repeating myself, if the reliable models are all just wobbling a bit left and right of the center, and everything is has been sampled by the RAOB network, well, still small differences between the models, the Euro wobbles affect where the 0.5 inch precip line is inland Massachusetts and on shore or just offshore Suffolk County, the others are a touch left right, but the best that can really be expected is the actual low follows the Euro, and the 0Z Euro wobbles that 40 or 60 miles back West.  There has been no trend in the last tow or three days, or maybe a bit of a farther OTS trend.

Modelology from an amateur.

surrender-dorothy.jpg

Following the UKMET's example, the ECMWF made a big move in the direction of the U.S. guidance at 12z. Many parts of the northern Mid-Atlantic region into southern New England saw reductions in qpf of 25% or more. Baltimore and Washington, DC were among the small number of areas seeing an increase in qpf.

Below are the changes in qpf for select locations:

03242014_1.jpg

NOTE: Not all the qpf is snow.

Great chart Don, thanks for making and sharing!

Ocean City, MD has (12z qpf):

NAM: ~0.75"

GFS: ~0.5"

GGEM: ~0.75"

RGEM: ~0.85"

Other models sound like they are around the 0.75" mark. Assuming 5:1 ratio, that's 3-5" probably for them.

Our annual golf trip starts Wednesday afternoon in Ocean City.  We play about 8 rounds of golf over 5 days.  Hmmmm.  You think snow at the shore?  We may need to change plans. 

Our annual golf trip starts Wednesday afternoon in Ocean City.  We play about 8 rounds of golf over 5 days.  Hmmmm.  You think snow at the shore?  We may need to change plans. 

I haven't looked at soundings down there but I would imagine a good amount of that is snow. The NAM has most of the precip falling at 33F, meaning it's probably wet snow.

Archived