• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

I'm going to go out on a limb here and call BS. Look here, we have one low.

f24.gif

Then magically 3 hours later we have two

f27.gif

Now maybe I'm wrong, but isn't their a chance that this is just a meso low associated with a strong MCS that the models are over emphasizing?

I know that sometimes in more traditional miller A's really strong convection down south can sometimes rob the developing low.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, any chance that this first low is just a bogus area of strong convection that the models are not interpreting correctly?

I don't think it's bogus, but they could easily be overestimating its intensity. However, if the models begin to favor the second low, you will see that low weaken (less convection associated with it), as the upper levels shift correspondingly.

Another wobble west and I can see Eastern Atlantic county and Eastern Ocean counties being put under a Winter storm watch .

The Euro OP  puts down 4 inches of snow down there right along the shore . (  Think that`s warning  criteria for them . ) 

It wants to snow there this month , and it looks like they are going to be the closest to the 2nd center . 

Not out of the question . 

I  would think Mt Holly`s new map may go 2 to 4 for them as of now . 

Isn't that what the Euro had?

It is. WPC seems to prefer the ECMWF right now (early morning discussion).

Given the UKMET's having moved into closer agreement with the American suite of models, I suspect that the Euro is somewhat of an outlier and that its output may be skewing some of the forecast numbers. It also should be noted that the 3/24 0z ECMWF moved toward the GFS from the 3/23 12z run. If the 12z run shifts even closer to the GFS, that would increase confidence that a model consensus had emerged.

If my assumption is correct, the NYC metro area (NYC, EWR, HPN, BDR, LGA, JFK) would probably wind up with a coating to perhaps an inch of snow; Suffolk County would see 1"-3" from Islip westward and 2"-4" from Westhampton eastward. Nantucket and Cape Cod would probably see the largest amounts with 4"-8" and some 10" figures but snowfall amounts would fall off toward Boston (maybe 2"-4" there).

It is. WPC seems to prefer the ECMWF right now (early morning discussion).

Given the UKMET's having moved into closer agreement with the American suite of models, I suspect that the Euro is somewhat of an outlier and that its output may be skewing some of the forecast numbers. It also should be noted that the 3/24 0z ECMWF moved toward the GFS from the 3/23 12z run. If the 12z run shifts even closer to the GFS, that would increase confidence that a model consensus had emerged.

If my assumption is correct, the NYC metro area (NYC, EWR, HPN, BDR, LGA, JFK) would probably wind up with a coating to perhaps an inch of snow; Suffolk County would see 1"-3" from Islip westward and 2"-4" from Westhampton eastward. Nantucket and Cape Cod would probably see the largest amounts with 4"-8" and some 10" figures but snowfall amounts would fall off toward Boston (maybe 2"-4" there).

Amazing Boston was looking at 20 and the Cape close to 28 just 2.5 days ago .Those are the ones that sting for a while. 

Off topic but the GFS is back to showing a lot of rain for Saturday. Over 2" worth, and no, that doesn't include whatever we get during the whiff.

Now that's climo right there. This would be either snow or some form of frozen precip in January. High to the north with low slipping to our south, but by now the cold is not there because of climo. 

nobody should be shocked this storm is sleeping with the fish's...we'll be lucky to get a measurable snowfall especially in Central Park...1960 ended a great March on the 26th with record cold and a dusting of snow...2014 could be going out the same way...The last four days of March 1960 were mild and this year could be the same...

Archived