• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

It sucks that the low kicks out as it goes up the coast. If not, this would have been a good run.

The baroclinic zone is in a horrible spot. The low is forced to go out to sea because the southern stream wave is so progressive and the low forms so far east initially. The upper air flow is too westerly. The phase happens way too late and the storm is already gone by the time the phase happens. I think there's probably a small 6-12" spot on Cape Cod and that's it until Nova Scotia.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, this was a pretty huge shift west with the NAM. If the GFS/other models follows suit with anything close we are back in the game. It seems a low pressure does want to be present closer to the coast where the warm SST anomoly is located. 

Someone with more knowledge than me can hopefully explain why it kills off the western low in favor of the one further east.

Someone with more knowledge than me can hopefully explain why it kills off the western low in favor of the one further east.

More of the lift seems to be over the far out to sea low on the 500mb chart. What becomes the main vort seems to be moving out towards that area and is driving more of the lift. Therefore, it kills off the closer low reflection.

More of the lift seems to be over the far out to sea low on the 500mb chart. What becomes the main vort seems to be moving out towards that area and is driving more of the lift. Therefore, it kills off the closer low reflection.

Wouldn't all of the pieces phase together though? This is a result of a sloppy phase initially?

The easterly low seems better positioned under the coupled divergent jet streak regions as well... just a combination of things.

Look at the sim radar band of HEAVY SNOW from extreme eastern Maine through Nova Scotia

Sent from my iPhone

Washington County, Maine FTW in the US on this run of the NAM, but even that is less than a foot. ACK < 6". Outside of that, S NJ and Delmarva would have the highest accumulations. All as per 12Z NAM clown maps.

If everyone has given up on this storm, can someone tell me why the HPC graphic above has us in the "Heavy Snow Possible" area?

WPC may be relying on assumptions about model biases. From WPC:

PROBABILISTIC HEAVY SNOW AND ICING DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
457 AM EDT MON MAR 24 2014

VALID 12Z MON MAR 24 2014 - 12Z THU MAR 27 2014

DAYS 2 AND 3...

THE 00Z MODELS CLUSTER BETTER ON THE LOW TRACK...WITH THE 00Z
UKMET/ECMWF ADJUSTING TO BETTER AGREE WITH ONE ANOTHER.  THE
PRIMARY REMAINING DIFFERENCES IS IN TIMING...AS THE GFS/GEFS MEAN
AREA FEW HOURS FASTER THAN THE NAM/ECMWF/UKMET.
GIVEN THE HISTORICAL FAST BIAS OF THE GFS...MORE WEIGHTING WAS
GIVEN TO THE SLOWER CLUSTER OF SOLUTIONS.  THIS LEADS TO A THREAT
OF MORE QPF AND RESULTANT SNOW ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND SRN/EASTERN
NEW ENGLAND. THE SHARP QPF GRADIENTS RESULTS IN A SHARP SNOWFALL
GRADIENT...SO UNCERTAINTY REMAINS CONSIDERABLE...WITH ANY TRACK
ADJUSTMENTS LEADING TO SIGNIFICANT ADJUSTMENTS IN EXPECTED
SNOWFALL.

All the models shifted west. GFS looks good but the precip shield doesn't. Euro is still the wettest model. Euro control run has 3 inches for the area.

Except as a check of whether the other ensembles might have been significantly affected by the resolution change and not just by perturbed initial conditions, is there any real value to the Euro run with the op's initial conditions but at reduced T number?

What is absolutely critical is what is happening between hrs 33 and 39. There are two jet streaks. The first of which is more vigorous and allows for the development of the first surface cyclone that heads further east. The second low forms as a result of a second jet streak, coming behind, over the Carolinas - this is the one we want to predominate.  The first low, in my opinion is in a less favorable baroclinic zone (the gulf stream in mind), but gets going earlier, and the cold/warm air advections shift the baroclinic zone such that the second low is in a relatively less favorable pressure fall (surface convergence) zone.

To be honest, I think the second low overall is the more favorable one, in terms of dynamics, despite the evolution of this setup. It is very close in my opinion, and it's something to watch very carefully.

What is absolutely critical is what is happening between hrs 33 and 39. There are two jet streaks. The first of which is more vigorous and allows for the development of the first surface cyclone that heads further east. The second low forms as a result of a second jet streak, coming behind, over the Carolinas - this is the one we want to predominate.  The first low, in my opinion is in a less favorable baroclinic zone (the gulf stream in mind), but gets going earlier, and the cold/warm air advections shift the baroclinic zone such that the second low is in a relatively less favorable pressure fall (surface convergence) zone.

To be honest, I think the second low overall is the more favorable one, in terms of dynamics, despite the evolution of this setup. It is very close in my opinion, and it's something to watch very carefully.

Agreed, any chance that this first low is just a bogus area of strong convection that the models are not interpreting correctly?

how is this frustrating? the models have been showing a miss for days

Just because most of the models most of the runs have been on the right track of the field goal being wide right does't mean a 100 or 200 mile miss by a 950 mb Winter storm isn't frustrating.

Back in the my home subforum (everywhere not in Scud missile range of I-95 somewhere), a drought last Summer, and few models ever showed rain, but that didn't make the drought much easier to deal with,

The 00z Euro ensemble mean was still 2-6" across the area. When you look at the individual members, a few of them do have the more western low staying as the primary one.

Out of 51 members, how many of them show at least some accumulations for NYC?

Archived