• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
As this has been the winter of booms, which one was the most unexpected and surprising?

hosj III

Biggest reverse bust of the winter?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most surprising reverse bust of the winter?

• 12/8/13
    • 1/2/14
    • 2/13/14
    • 2/25/14
    • 3/17/14

Close tie between 2/13 and 3/17 IMO. I got a lot more snow during 2/13, but I was expecting at least 5-8" based on the RAP/HRRR consistently clobbering the area.

As far as I know, no models were predicting 8-10" for the DC metro before 3/17..and given the fact that we were in the upper 40s before precip moved in (60s the previous day), and the fact that there was no deepening coastal bomb/phasing, I think 3/17 takes the cake..

That said, I still enjoyed 2/13 much more due to the consistently heavy rates and stronger winds..and for the fact that a lot more snow fell during that one w/ instant street stickage..

12/8/2013

I was supposed to get 1-2" before a change to zr. I had a dusting early on as the death band came in.

40 minutes later, I measured 3.5". I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Ended up with nearly 6" before the changeover, but had some of the craziest rates I've ever seen.

12/8/2013

I was supposed to get 1-2" before a change to zr. I had a dusting early on as the death band came in.

40 minutes later, I measured 3.5". I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Ended up with nearly 6" before the changeover, but had some of the craziest rates I've ever seen.

I picked this one too.

Last night was it for me. I saw plenty of 5-9 6-8 ect forecast. I didn't actually think it would happen. IT'S MARCH and it was nearly 70 on Saturday. I thought for sure we would bust low. When the dews started dropping yesterday. I thought "hmmm, maybe".

The most impressive March turnaround I've ever seen. I was playing softball with my team on Saturday. Then everything that needed to happen for a double digit March snow did. I was floored how it snowed so hard that the ground was overcome.

The most impressive March turnaround I've ever seen. I was playing softball with my team on Saturday. Then everything that needed to happen for a double digit March snow did. I was floored how it snowed so hard that the ground was overcome.

It was jaw dropping how fast the roads went white. The fact that everything fell in place (timing,temps, rates, dew points) was just amazing. It's seems almost impossible for that to happen, and it did. Truly one I will never forget. Another thing that blew me away was the ratios. I was pushing light powder off my car in mid March. Unbelievable event.

It was jaw dropping how fast the roads went white. The fact that everything fell in place (timing,temps, rates, dew points) was just amazing. It's seems almost impossible for that to happen, and it did. Truly one I will never forget. Another thing that blew me away was the ratios. I was pushing light powder off my car in mid March. Unbelievable event.

It seems like every storm this year has been powder. Truth be told, I'm kind of missing the wet stuff like we got in feb 5-6 2010 and 1-26-11.

It seems like every storm this year has been powder. Truth be told, I'm kind of missing the wet stuff like we got in feb 5-6 2010 and 1-26-11.

I feel like were spoiled now. Our usual mangled slop events seem like a distant bad memory. I feel like a snow snob now.

I want my 8" of powder.. (nose in the air). Sleet? That's that stuff they do in north Carolina right? (Nose in air)

I feel like were spoiled now. Our usual mangled slop events seem like a distant bad memory. I feel like a snow snob now.

I want my 8" of powder.. (nose in the air). Sleet? That's that stuff they do in north Carolina right? (Nose in air)

We are in for a cruel wakeup when we are back to tracking car-toppers next year.

We may not see this again for years.

Feb 25 we were forecast to have a 40 percent chance of flurries. By late that morning we had a surprise 4 inches!

The St Paddys storm ranks close behind that one because I did not think we would get 4 inches let alone the incredible 8 inches we did get.

Those surprise snows are the best ever

I believe that we are entering a period of late 50's thru 60's winters. IT's finally come back. I kinda though it was just my imagination of long, cold, snowy winter but 2009-10 matched what I saw as a kid snow wise and this winter is a stellar one both for cold and snow. Some other good forecasters around here are also excited about longer term prospects.

The ULL (Feb.12-13 storm) dropping about 10" of snow in only a few hours is easily the biggest surprise of this winter and any winter for that matter. Forecasts were only calling for an additional 2-4, but most areas doubled and tripled that in only a matter of a few hours. I had never seen it snow as hard as it did for as long as it did. I ended up measuring just shy of 2 feet, causing almost all forecasts to bust low, especially in and around the Roanoke area.

I believe that we are entering a period of late 50's thru 60's winters. IT's finally come back. I kinda though it was just my imagination of long, cold, snowy winter but 2009-10 matched what I saw as a kid snow wise and this winter is a stellar one both for cold and snow. Some other good forecasters around here are also excited about longer term prospects.

We will eventually enter a period of late 50's through 60's winters, but not for another 44 years.

Of course you will still be prowling around at night with your ruler and then flying back to your crypt before sunrise.

12/8/2013

That was definitely a great event. 2"/hr for a bit...

I got 6" as well.

Archived