• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 12-13 wind/cold thread

Amped

It's an interesting topic that we should discuss down the line. Bay channeling does a good job maximizing s-se winds but not nearly as strong as caa w-nw flow events. I would guess that llj influence and mixing has a lot to do with that.

S-se wind events are kinda limited by relying on gradient from offshore high pressure so it's mostly surface winds in play. But anywhere east of the fall line will do well wind wise before the up and over effect shelters areas just to the west.

Yeah.. I mean, we probably get our strongest winds most years from the NW but we don't do as well as places like Dulles in NW winds. Anything right off the water helps maximize the gusts at DCA at least - as small as the water source is.  But getting a truly ripping south wind has to be quite unusual.  Usually more of a steady flow of decent wind rather than damaging gust type of stuff.  Even hurricanes can't really give us a true south wind very easily.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost power for maybe a minute or so. Just enough to knock my weather station and weather cams offline. I suppose I should invest in one of those battery operated power protectors to keep things running during short outages like what just occured.

I'd like to see 35 or under tomorrow afternoon and that would be very impressive for March 13th under sunny skies...even if we sneak a 37 in there.....April 7, 2007 we cleared in the afternoon and every OB was 39.9 or lower even though we hit 41 interhour...I think this air mass is similarly anomalous and should keep us under 35....

This is one of the most beautiful nights in a while. It's refreshing, no longer as tropical as it has been in the past week. It is a very comfy 28 degrees with a cool dewpoint of 13. Windchills are invigorating at times, getting as cool as 9 degrees.

Really pleasant weather outside this fine morning in Dale City, 22 degrees with a nice 5 degree dewpoint, I enjoyed a nice breeze about 27 mph with a few gusts to 43 mph.

Great sleeping weather this morning, and enjoyed a nice relaxing jebwalk.

It would be interesting to know when the last 60mph wind gust was at one of the big three airports that didn't happen during a thunderstorm or tropical system.

Feb 25 2011 probably. 58 at DCA, 59 at Dulles, 60 at BWI. Sustained were a bit higher in that event perhaps--more uniform coverage of gusts.  We had two HWW in that week.. prob should have had one last night. 

Archived