BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 12-13 wind/cold thread

Amped

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...if we had leaves on the trees for this, it'd be carnage.

I've been thinking the same thing. Thawed squishy ground had me a little concerned when I was looking at models yesterday. So far so good but the gusts have definitely outperformed what I was thinking last night. I figured we would all see 40's. The reports of widespread 50's and some 60's are pretty wild. My fireplace glass is rattling so much I opened them up just in case. Wow

I've been thinking the same thing. Thawed squishy ground had me a little concerned when I was looking at models yesterday. So far so good but the gusts have definitely outperformed what I was thinking last night. I figured we would all see 40's. The reports of widespread 50's and some 60's are pretty wild. My fireplace glass is rattling so much I opened them up just in case. Wow

Exactly. The ground is pretty soft right now, and in confident we'd have seen a lot of trees down if leaves were out. Pines and cedars might be having some trouble tonight. I was watching my 30' holly a little nervously earlier...

Sustained 35+kts at Thomas point light in the middle bay last hour. Gale conditions. Driving the bay bridge tonight in an rv would be white knuckle 2 hands on the wheel kinda stuf

whippin winds on the water

post-1615-0-30086700-1394677455_thumb.pn

Lol- all the pretty reds distracted me. HtripleR picking up on the lee of the fall line?

Yeah I guess that might be it. DCA never does quite as well on NW winds. S or E winds are the ticket.. Well maybe any direction other than w or NW. Super strong south winds aren't too common I guess.

Happy this did not wait 6 more hours or we would have had a cheap, puke high of 60 for Thursday which would totally distort the reality of the event.

I do think though that low 30's for tomorrow afternooon will be tough. No snow cover and even 3/93 was upper 20's with full snowpack. Even so, tomorrow will likely be one of the top 5 coldest, full sun, mid March days in 30 years.

Yeah I guess that might be it. DCA never does quite as well on NW winds. S or E winds are the ticket.. Well maybe any direction other than w or NW. Super strong south winds aren't too common I guess.

It's an interesting topic that we should discuss down the line. Bay channeling does a good job maximizing s-se winds but not nearly as strong as caa w-nw flow events. I would guess that llj influence and mixing has a lot to do with that.

S-se wind events are kinda limited by relying on gradient from offshore high pressure so it's mostly surface winds in play. But anywhere east of the fall line will do well wind wise before the up and over effect shelters areas just to the west.

Archived