Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The North trend is great to see for many here, but the Euro remains the biggest wildcard/headscratcher for me.  Thinking that 12z is so big given sampling, etc. that the NAM/RGEM/GFS are privy to ATM.

Tracking is such a huge part of the fun/misery!

Amen to that! Especially with this one, talk about a roller coaster ride. Good trends so far this morning.

Pauly,

Right in line with other models but hoping GFS comes north by 75 miles.

Think NYC ends up with up .75. And Monmouth closer to an 1 inch. Closer to the 6z GFS and the UKMET

At 12 to 1 in early March you have to take it.

Think the .5 gets to the NJ NY border.

Not sure how much the 12z nam loses to mixing/rain on sunday but still lookls like a general 3 - 6 snow from nyc to cnj.  More in some spots.  Shift this north just 25 - 50 miles and its a big deal.  Still 36 hours to go and over 1500 miles for this storm.  So 25 - 50 miles is small potatoes.

STOP THE BICKERING TAKE IT TO BANTER. This thread is for forecast discussion ONLY not **** measuring, thank you and welcome to the start of the 12z model suite everyone.

That said a 50-60 shift north on the 12z GFS would go a long way, the 6z GFS was a step in the right direction. Notice how i didnt mention either 6z/12z NAM runs?

I would still bet the nam is just a few ticks too far south based on the trajectory of the sw and the positioning of the pv. I don't trust the huge jumps obviously.

I agree we're only talking 50 or so miles for a nice hit for most and I don't see how that's not very possible.  Lets see where the rest of the 12z takes us.

we ae dealing with a strong March storm from the Pacific...there's going to be a lot of over riding with this set up...if we get 4-6" it's nothing to sneeze at this time of year...The cold air will be here for a while so snow chances will still be on the table...

common sense approach to this model mayhem is to just keep the Winter Storm Watch in place the way it is worded now. Don't make any changes till the models stop these 200 mile wild swings because obviously they are not handling the data being fed into them correctly yet. There is still enough info to support at least a final advisory or Winter Storm Warning for anyone north of I-70 and south of I -80 - IMO that will be the area where the heaviest precip falls from this

Confluence was stronger overall than on the 12z NAM than the 0z and 6z NAM. Not a good trend, from this model, for heavy snow in the NYC area.

Not a trend Miguel but it It wouldn't take much of a north shift for alot more people to get in on the bigger snows.

we ae dealing with a strong March storm from the Pacific...there's going to be a lot of over riding with this set up...if we get 4-6" it's nothing to sneeze at this time of year...The cold air will be here for a while so snow chances will still be on the table...

6" would be great for March since it would only be the 5th 6" or more March event for NYC since 1990.

It would also put is in striking distance of the second snowiest season here.

This is why you think just because a model is consistent, doesn't mean we live by it. The GFS clearly still isn't up to par. In a sense, it was the most inaccurate model trying to portray a much more amped , further north system.

This one definitely goes to the GGEM

Archived