• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

That's my point, this is trending slighty worse with each run....by tommorrow, it might really look bad barring a dramatic change of events

It's plausible . I will wait to see the whole suite says tonite. . I will try and build a consensus from the whole pacage. Its possible that

It breaking down . But not to zero.

Gone is is the 12 to 15 the models showed yesterday. Gone right now is the 12 we saw this morning.

But that doesn't mean we aren't in line for a warning type event. Build the forecast. Use all the data and see who the outliers are.

There's more stuff to come before the euro. don't jump just yet.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez... Everyone take a chill pill. I'm the one who thought mixing would be a bigger threat than suppression so if the latter happens take it out on this weenie? Lol

Not quite sure when i said it came north meaning the first wave i forget to add was a fail. Anyways waiting till the 0z/6z suite before i jump ship for 8-10" snowfall for our area

It's not an NYC snowstorm until there's a few tangles and mangles. You do great work, keep it up. 

Thanks.

I'm with JM still, I cant see this being a complete swing and a miss to our south. What does scare me though in this setup as I said in my run down the other day is that we are going to be working with a decaying/shearing system rather than a developing one. This does present an issue and is possibly why models are shortening the duration and strength/amplification. My expectations were and still are a 6 to 12 inch variety snowfall targeting southern PA/SEPA up to NYC. Im hesitant to lower that based off the 18z gfs and nam at this point in time as my forecast was always based off the assumption of a more sheared out system.

Is the PV lobe phase option off the table yet? Sure looks like an option on that NAM run.......

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/NAM-php/showmap-conusncep.php?run=2014030100&var=VRTHGTGRD_500mb&hour=063

IMO with that strong confluence there is little room for a phase to occur. It's just too sheared and strung out in order to provide good conditions necessary to phase energy together. Of course this is as modeled on the NAM but I was never gung ho on this phase idea to begin with and still am not. Does not strike me as a situation where something like that could be expected.

RGEM at 48 hours looks much more realistic, let's see if the GFS, ECMWF and GEM has to say. It has the second low as the main low and NYC colder on Sunday.

Hour 63 and 66 850s are minus 10 and minus 14. I can't see what's at 700. But to me that's 12 to 1 at min.

Can u see what's at 700 Mitch.

Thanks.

I'm with JM still, I cant see this being a complete swing and a miss to our south. What does scare me though in this setup as I said in my run down the other day is that we are going to be working with a decaying/shearing system rather than a developing one. This does present an issue and is possibly why models are shortening the duration and strength/amplification. My expectations were and still are a 6 to 12 inch variety snowfall targeting southern PA/SEPA up to NYC. Im hesitant to lower that based off the 18z gfs and nam at this point in time as my forecast was always based off the assumption of a more sheared out system.

All about timing. Here's to better trends tonight. Cheers.

Don't worry my post also was called fail. Let's see if he's calling pro mets with 6-12" forecasted for NYC a fail.

If any pro mets had 6 to 12 forecasted for the area (myself included) have lowered amounts based off the 18z gfs and anything to do with the NAM until this point I'd be shocked.

Guy seems to have a hard on for some people here. Any who it is the NAM and the GFS/ECMWF should be more accurate to the eventual outcome. No one should be giving up just yet for atleast a warning event for the tri state area

Exactly, one tick in the other direction with the corresponding PV confluence could make this jump back the other way.

If any pro mets had 6 to 12 forecasted for the area (myself included) have lowered amounts based off the 18z gfs and anything to do with the NAM until this point I'd be shocked.

I'm not saying mets have lowered their amounts. But the outcome may be different than what many have forecasted. Now I'm being called a fail for forecasting flurries and cloudy skies, but nobody will be judged that way if they forecast 12+. Thanks for the drink and cheers.

Exactly, one tick in the other direction with the corresponding PV confluence could make this jump back the other way.

Really depressing in here that is a fact. The NAM was a mess i just didnt finish off my post on it, i just think its premature to give up yet. There are some interesting tidbits in the NE section that bring up some valid points regarding the strength of the southern vort as it traverses the country as well. 0z should establish the correct trend if all goes to plan

I'm not saying mets have lowered their amounts. But the outcome may be different than what many have forecasted. Now I'm being called a fail for forecasting flurries and cloudy skies, but nobody will be judged that way if they forecast 12+. Thanks for the drink and cheers.

Cheers to you too. And I wouldn't take it personally that someone posted something you said and called it a fail. Fact is, this could indeed go either way, especially from NYC northward. A jog either way with the PV is going to have a huge influence on this quite narrow stripe of snow that should overrun the region. The forecast itself is not terribly complex, but its so tricky because of the narrow width of area of snow, and the influence of the PV can push this a hundred plus miles in either direction still.

Really depressing in here that is a fact. The NAM was a mess i just didnt finish off my post on it, i just think its premature to give up yet. There are some interesting tidbits in the NE section that bring up some valid points regarding the strength of the southern vort as it traverses the country as well. 0z should establish the correct trend if all goes to plan

Split flow patterns out of the southern branch are not the US models strong suit. And for the NAM especially outside 48 hours.

I will not be surprised if we are sitting at 1 inch of QPF in Monmouth county and .75 at KNYC in the end.

I will not abandon this when the euro ensembles are .75 at KNYC and are .90 in Monmouth county.

Meteorology can't come down to model hugging. ( except if you're me and u hug the euro). JK. Look to the best skill score model

Inside 72 hours and don't hang on high res models in there mid range. Just my .02 and if it fails oh well

Gotta go all in at some point .

Actually, I have seen that happen with March storms way more often than not over 51 years. Experience matters. History matters. I have seen only a handful of March storms deliver the goods and I am not young and have lived in NYC metro my whole life. I can't say what will happen but a miss or a half-assed outcome would be consistent with history for March storms in the past 25 years. My guess is March is a hard month to predict; there's a reason we old timers used to say that in March anything can happen. Mods feel free to delete. Now everyone chill out.

Archived