Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, the euro ensembles are a good early guess until we get to 0z and 12z tomorrow. This looks like the GFS

tendency to suppress the southern stream too much. The 18z RGEM looks more like the other guidance

with a less suppressed look.

attachicon.gifPT_PN_054_0000.gif

attachicon.gif

It's just 1 kid that if he's not the jackpot the storm has to miss the whole thread. I just can't read through the model hugging and hissy fits it's just not meteorology

The euro is .75 at KNYC and .90 into Monmouth county

the GFS tendency is to be south and east .

The euro ensembles show 10 inches in Monmouth and close to 8 in NYC .

It's followed by some bitter and potentially record breaking cold air Tues morning

great post as always paul and the end of the week storm is still there as well and that "could" be a potentially big slow mover. its way off but we're not done with winter by a long shot

I think YanksFan was the engineer driving that train and Allsnow was yelling at him that he was going to fast :sled: but seriously doesn't anyone think its kind of suspicious that the GFS shifted 200 miles south in 12 hours and it won't get any accurate sampling till 0Z

What do you mean suspicious? Don't models bounce around all the time?

great post as always paul and the end of the week storm is still there as well and that "could" be a potentially big slow mover. its way off but we're not done with winter by a long shot

The ensembles don't like it at all.

What do you mean suspicious? Don't models bounce around all the time?

meaning when they make drastic changes in short periods of time and caving to their biases which the GFS is doing today - it is famous for losing storms a few days out and suppressing the southern stream energy too much

I think YanksFan was the engineer driving that train and Allsnow was yelling at him that he was going to fast :sled: but seriously doesn't anyone think its kind of suspicious that the GFS shifted 200 miles south in 12 hours and it won't get any accurate sampling till 0Z

Conspiracy?

I love to see what NCEP thinks about the radical shift with the GFS. After being consistent for three days the GFS has taken a radical shift to the south. I hope tonight's model diagnostic has to say about this, they have an internate knowedge of the equations and data field that might has caused such a shift. BTW 18Z runs are nortorious anyway.

ding ding ding ding ding finally a voice of reason been saying this but was told It was two words "the trend" lol

Yeah, the euro ensembles are a good early guess until we get to 0z and 12z tomorrow. This looks like the GFS

tendency to suppress the southern stream too much. The 18z RGEM looks more like the other guidance

attachicon.gif

It's just 1 kid that if he's not the jackpot the storm has to miss the whole thread. I just can't read through the model hugging and hissy fits it's just not meteorology

It's followed by some bitter and potentially record breaking cold air Tues morning

attachicon.gif

In other words a lot like other storms this year.....

I love to see what NCEP thinks about the radical shift with the GFS. After being consistent for three days the GFS has taken a radical shift to the south. I hope tonight's model diagnostic has to say about this, they have an internate knowedge of the equations and data field that might has caused such a shift. BTW 18Z runs are nortorious anyway.

My take away so far today is that the confluence looked a little further south, the southern stream s/w looked weaker and more sheared out and there looked to be less interaction with the northern stream. Whether the models have the right idea with this is not my place to say.

If the GFS holds serve at 0z, then I'll start to really buy into what it's showing at 18z (not a weenie approach either here).  It's been consistent from run to run the last few days with some subtle fluctuation of the QPF and axis but this was a really dramatic shift in terms of the setup and players and how everything rolls up into our area.

It was Consistent until a 200 mile shift in a matter of 2 runs..

How about -one- gosh dang real-time observation!!!!!   :bag:

Current 200mb Highway

and the WPC track   .>>>>> cluster muck<<<<<<

hope this clears things up

Guest View

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/Doorman_/consensus_zpsfe5dfdea.gif

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/dlmmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8∏=dlm6&zoom=&time=

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/lowtracks/lowtrack_ensembles.gif

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

OPC 24hr surface map  

West Coast View

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/P_24hrbw.gif

1052mb HP area dropping down into the U.S. 

and two LP centers we can track for starters......

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/satellite/reg/index.php?type=northwest-vis-1

COLD AIR CAROUSEL

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/satellite/hemi/index.php?type=canada-wv-24

Convergence zone really hasn't moved much the last couple of model cycles, it's centered squarely over the Tri-State area. At this point you might want to wait for the Hi-Res models to sort out who gets how much. QPF placement won't be sorted out until almost game time.

I believe the euro ensembles 72 hours out has a pretty good handle here. Would expect a tick N tonite

Apologies for having to ask, but what is meant by "HR 72, HR 120" n the like? Also, what is "QPF" n "GGREM" n the equiv? Or maybe someone would be kind enough to point me to an abbreviation type page? Thx so much in advance, Tim

The CNJ Plowsman

Apologies for having to ask, but what is meant by "HR 72, HR 120" n the like? Also, what is "QPF" n "GGREM" n the equiv? Or maybe someone would be kind enough to point me to an abbreviation type page? Thx so much in advance, Tim

The CNJ Plowsman

Repost in the banter thread page and I'll explain

Archived