• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

I agree, if I were betting the heaviest axis of Precip will be from Phil to NYC when its said and done..

I agree, if I were betting the heaviest axis of Precip will be from Phil to NYC when its said and done..

This is what Craig Allen thinks, thoug CBS reported he does not like to give amounts this far out, he said 5-10 though for NYC. Unless...and all this worry about 2/6/10. This is not a 2-3 foot megastorm. We have seen our share of these storms this year. Would love one more, but hey....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guaranteed to happen between now and the 00z suite

1. Weenie suicides

2. Crazy international models will be used to show this is still coming north (cue the Korean)

3. "Initialization errors" will be found in the 18z gfs so we can discount it

4. The once consistent GFS is now erratic, therefore we toss

5. Some sort of epic argument in THIS thread about how even though its further south, the ratios with the colder atmosphere will make up for lack of QPF

6. A drastic slowing of the board right around the time the 00z NAM is due so everyone can pray for the NAMBomb

And finally last but not least

7. Our daily sun angle battle

You forgot " convective feedback issues" lmao

The trends at this point purely on what all models show and their usual biases is that this is could go either way, the NavGem gives the most hope but even the normally amped NAM isn't amped, the euro is tricky because it tends to move towards the other guidance slowly, the RGEM may be a glimmer of hope because it does seem fairly far north through 54 hours vs the GGEM, the GFS I have no clue, the 06z run was likely a hiccup but the question now is if the 18z is too

i haven't really seen the nam outrageously amped for any storm this year...

1. Weenie suicides

2. Crazy international models will be used to show this is still coming north (cue the Korean)

5. Some sort of epic argument in THIS thread about how even though its further south, the ratios with the colder atmosphere will make up for lack of QPF

6. A drastic slowing of the board right around the time the 00z NAM is due so everyone can pray for the NAMBomb

best post so far of this board --- on that note, its friday and its happy hour -- ill leave the bickering about north/south trends to rest of you! play nice all

A few days ago I said the gfs has not been a good model to be trusted this winter and was bombarded by some forum members. I believe they're all hiding now.

It hasn't... it has been absolutely awful with several storms.  The 2/13 front end snow bomb was depicted as a period of light snow/rain/drizzle right up until the time it started.

It hasn't... it has been absolutely awful with several storms. The 2/13 front end snow bomb was depicted as a period of light snow/rain/drizzle right up until the time it started.

Yea I don't anyone who thinks the gfs has been good... It's caved to euro IMO most of the year with the exception of a few northern stream waves

It hasn't... it has been absolutely awful with several storms. The 2/13 front end snow bomb was depicted as a period of light snow/rain/drizzle right up until the time it started.

These southwest flow type events give the nam and GFS fits, that's why I suspected this would end up more south just based on the overall pattern with the PV and the high rapidly punching in from the lakes and Midwest

A few days ago I said the gfs has not been a good model to be trusted this winter and was bombarded by some forum members. I believe they're all hiding now.

Please for the love of earthlight take this stuff to the banter thread, the pissing contests are f*cking ridiculous

It hasn't... it has been absolutely awful with several storms.  The 2/13 front end snow bomb was depicted as a period of light snow/rain/drizzle right up until the time it started.

yep.   And I thought it was scoring a coupe here being so steady for the last few days on this--back to reality I guess

What happens with the storm happens, Science & physical reality will win out. But please dont stand there and say 24 hours ago when everything was 10-15 inches & all was right and say you called it then that NY would wind up with as little as 3 inches ! Okie dokie smokie? Tonight it may trend North & you might look even the bigger fool. We win some & lose some in life

1. Weenie suicides

Well said and funny.  This place is schizophrenic sometimes.  Waiting for the convective feedback excuse or the old standby of it being an 18Z run, which doesn't have as much input data. 

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I know more about the actual science of meteorology than 95% of the posters here, but I still know much less than the pros, so I rarely post much in the model threads, as I'd rather not clutter them up - I wish more people would just read more and post less.  I come here to read what the pros say and maybe a few non-pros who do the play by play (at least the good ones).  My posts usually go in other threads and I tend to stick to things I'm reasonably expert in, like snow growth microphysics, snow accumulation/melting rates as a function of various factors (including sun angle, lol), air velocity profiles/mixing, chaos and uncertainty in predictions and numerical models, etc (not forecasting - more just basic chemical/physical sciences).   

Nope GFS had about 3 or 4 runs straight of 12+

See that's the whole point. I'm not talking about any one particular model or run. We have mega energy entering the west coast and a tremendous temperate gradient with the PV being unseasonably far south. As the west coast storm ejects several pieces of energy the two will combine to produce nice moderate snows. There will be a jackpot band which I think sets up nearer to Philly and someone there sees the 12" jackpot.

If we saw one piece of energy and a full phase ala 2/6/10 we would be talking double digit totals up into the lhv

Well said and funny.  This place is schizophrenic sometimes.  Waiting for the convective feedback excuse or the old standby of it being an 18Z run, which doesn't have as much input data. 

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I know more about the actual science of meteorology than 95% of the posters here, but I still know much less than the pros, so I rarely post much in the model threads, as I'd rather not clutter them up - I wish more people would just read more and post less.  I come here to read what the pros say and maybe a few non-pros who do the play by play (at least the good ones).  My posts usually go in other threads and I tend to stick to things I'm reasonably expert in, like snow growth microphysics, snow accumulation/melting rates as a function of various factors (including sun angle, lol), air velocity profiles/mixing, chaos and uncertainty in predictions and numerical models, etc (not forecasting - more just basic chemical/physical sciences).   

this has got to be one of worst turnarounds in member behavior. I mean mass weenie suicides right now, is the track locked in now? did I miss something? mods are going to have fun cleaning this mess up...again :facepalm:

I believe the euro ensembles 72 hours out has a pretty good handle here. Would expect a tick N tonite

Yeah, the euro ensembles are a good early guess until we get to 0z and 12z tomorrow. This looks like the GFS

tendency to suppress the southern stream too much. The 18z RGEM looks more like the other guidance

with a less suppressed look.

comic relief fellas

post-33189-0-81896600-1366947929_zpsf214

I think YanksFan was the engineer driving that train and Allsnow was yelling at him that he was going to fast :sled: but seriously doesn't anyone think its kind of suspicious that the GFS shifted 200 miles south in 12 hours and it won't get any accurate sampling till 0Z

If the GFS holds serve at 0z, then I'll start to really buy into what it's showing at 18z (not a weenie approach either here).  It's been consistent from run to run the last few days with some subtle fluctuation of the QPF and axis but this was a really dramatic shift in terms of the setup and players and how everything rolls up into our area.

Yeah, the euro ensembles are a good early guess until we get to 0z and 12z tomorrow. This looks like the GFS

tendency to suppress the southern stream too much. The 18z RGEM looks more like the other guidance

attachicon.gifPT_PN_054_0000.gif

attachicon.gifG.gif

attachicon.gifPT_PN_054_0000.gif

attachicon.gif

It's just 1 kid that if he's not the jackpot the storm has to miss the whole thread. I just can't read through the model hugging and hissy fits it's just not meteorology

The euro is .75 at KNYC and .90 into Monmouth county

the GFS tendency is to be south and east .

The euro ensembles show 10 inches in Monmouth and close to 8 in NYC .

It's followed by some bitter and potentially record breaking cold air Tues morning

Archived