• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 2

REDMK6GLI

I couldn't care less about the latest Nam; it's far too unreliable at this range. The 15z SREF being so north, along with the spread north and west is interesting to me however. In the past there was good agreement with the SREF and GFS this season, even at this range--not this time. I'm thinking we may see a compromise here. I like a blend of the 15z SREF with the 18Z GFS at the moment.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously though I would of been SHOCKED if Models Especially GFS held tight with Same exact tract for 5 days straight so not shocked there is a bit of waffling going on. The Metro Area is now on the Fence can go either way the next 24 hours a bump North from Here we are golden another bump South will be where half the state is seeing snow and the other half is hoping and praying the front nudges North yelling and cursing at radar. 

live by the models, die by the models. It is way too premature to be making any sort of calls right now. A significant snowstorm is still on the table for everyone. A whiff is also on the table. Our pacific storm hasn't even made landfall yet and the strength of the PV keeps fluctuating from run to run.  irrationality has no place in a scientific based discussion forum, ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves for some of the posts you're writing. 

+1  :clap:

The pattern won't really allow a more south shift than the GFS currently shows, if it tries to go anymore south it basically ends up as a sheared out mess and not even DCA or PHL will see anything

That's where I see this going. Jackpotting areas in the TN/OH valley's and significantly less east of Apps. If you look closely at the Euro ensembles you'll notice that while all this is shifting south, it's not really increasing QPF for the DC area. It's back to looking like a sheared out mess. We sill have one more full day of runs to sort it out, just hate the way it looks since the 12z runs.

So one run of the gfs 18z especially looks shtty and it's off the cliff for everyone

Some of you guys are funny ill take my NYC/li 8" and Philly jackpot to the bank

Is this the 12" plus of yesterday's models? Never was

This has been and will be a moderate low end warning event bank on it

I disagree. This easily was and still could be a 12"+ storm for somebody. Plenty of models showed that

I'm sorry but people can be morons. They don't care to understand the process that will lead to this event and just live and die by every model run, it's pathetic. And I didn't know so many people here could see the future as if this event already happened.

Yup.  What these people are doing isn't skilled forecasting at all, it's just model-hugging.  Really pathetic.

I think we've seen an overcorrection and the 0z suite will start to shift north again.  We've seen this happen numerous times with storms and it wouldn't at all surprise me if it happened again.

So one run of the gfs 18z especially looks shtty and it's off the cliff for everyone

Some of you guys are funny ill take my NYC/li 8" and Philly jackpot to the bank

Is this the 12" plus of yesterday's models? Never was

This has been and will be a moderate low end warning event bank on it

Nope GFS had about 3 or 4 runs straight of 12+ 

Guaranteed to happen between now and the 00z suite

1. Weenie suicides

2. Crazy international models will be used to show this is still coming north (cue the Korean)

3. "Initialization errors" will be found in the 18z gfs so we can discount it

4. The once consistent GFS is now erratic, therefore we toss

5. Some sort of epic argument in THIS thread about how even though its further south, the ratios with the colder atmosphere will make up for lack of QPF

6. A drastic slowing of the board right around the time the 00z NAM is due so everyone can pray for the NAMBomb

And finally last but not least

7. Our daily sun angle battle

That's where I see this going. Jackpotting areas in the TN/OH valley's and significantly less east of Apps. If you look closely at the Euro ensembles you'll notice that while all this is shifting south, it's not really increasing QPF for the DC area. It's back to looking like a sheared out mess. We sill have one more full day of runs to sort it out, just hate the way it looks since the 12z runs.

The last several years these sort of storms have tended to end up way more sheared and in some cases little if anything from what they appeared like beyond day 4, there was a similar storm back in the 12-13 winter that looked this good til maybe day 5 and all the models then lost it...it seems the tendency the last 5-10 years is the pattern favors very amped systems or nothing at all

Exactly, and to be perfectly honest, wouldn't surprise me if we saw nothing. The trend may not be over yet.

Yea, don't think we are. Cut-offs can be amazing when laid out on a map in front of you. 12" somewhere, and 20 miles north nothing. That's insane. No one can be mad because the northern nj / nyc happens to be the unlucky winners this time.

Yup.  What these people are doing isn't skilled forecasting at all, it's just model-hugging.  Really pathetic.

I think we've seen an overcorrection and the 0z suite will start to shift north again.  We've seen this happen numerous times with storms and it wouldn't at all surprise me if it happened again.

I agree, if I were betting the heaviest axis of Precip will be from Phil to NYC when its said and done..

live by the models, die by the models. It is way too premature to be making any sort of calls right now. A significant snowstorm is still on the table for everyone. A whiff is also on the table. Our pacific storm hasn't even made landfall yet and the strength of the PV keeps fluctuating from run to run.  irrationality has no place in a scientific based discussion forum, ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves for some of the posts you're writing.

Yup happens time after time and people never learn.

Dead on. This place has been unreadable. Chill out, folks. 

The pattern won't really allow a more south shift than the GFS currently shows, if it tries to go anymore south it basically ends up as a sheared out mess and not even DCA or PHL will see anything

The highest skill score model the euro ensembles inside 72 are still there. 75 in NYC and .9 into Monmouth county

I will focus on the euro and assume the GFS which is the southern most solution is wrong and will b back by 12z tomorrow if the 0z Euro holds Serve.

Guaranteed to happen between now and the 00z suite

1. Weenie suicides

2. Crazy international models will be used to show this is still coming north (cue the Korean)

3. "Initialization errors" will be found in the 18z gfs so we can discount it

4. The once consistent GFS is now erratic, therefore we toss

5. Some sort of epic argument in THIS thread about how even though its further south, the ratios with the colder atmosphere will make up for lack of QPF

6. A drastic slowing of the board right around the time the 00z NAM is due so everyone can pray for the NAMBomb

And finally last but not least

7. Our daily sun angle battle

Hahahaha! Fantastic. 

The trends at this point purely on what all models show and their usual biases is that this is could go either way, the NavGem gives the most hope but even the normally amped NAM isn't amped, the euro is tricky because it tends to move towards the other guidance slowly, the RGEM may be a glimmer of hope because it does seem fairly far north through 54 hours vs the GGEM, the GFS I have no clue, the 06z run was likely a hiccup but the question now is if the 18z is too

Archived