• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Thursday & Thursday Night Winter Storm Discussion

CT Rain

We'll start as ice but as soon as it gets hvy it goes to snow.When you get an ULL to go south of you ..esp one this strong..it always plays havoc with models and we typically get some very good surprises. I think even to the SE coast in Mass they get a few inches tonight

Well one thing for sure, this storm played havoc on models. A lot of powerful things happening in the atmosphere.

If Roger Smith is right, we should expect another 30" or so.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're going 2"-5" west of Rt 8 tonight and a coating to 2" elsewhere tonight. 

Oh man..new RAP doesn't agree... wtf? Warmth at 850 doesn't come crashing back down like previous runs. Doesn't look good for CT. I was pretty bullish for tonight until I saw that. Any ideas why it's so warm now outside of a further west track?

Tons of elevated CAPE for sure. 

To me, the second part looks like a NW NJ nctrl NJ to POU and up by ALB special. Probably into wrn CT too.

I'm sort of bummed that I'll miss out. I think we get a period of convection and maybe some thunder graupel but sort of outside looking in on that band as it pivots through the Hudson River Valley. 

Oh man..new RAP doesn't agree... wtf? Warmth at 850 doesn't come crashing back down like previous runs. Doesn't look good for CT. I was pretty bullish for tonight until I saw that. Any ideas why it's so warm now outside of a further west track?

Just a mild setup. Hard to crash temperatures with the 850/700 lows going overhead. 

Just a complete and utter poundings into submission throughout NE right now.

Interior maine gettin crush job

State college in some weenie band just getting buried waaay out there and now that band is filling into to the se connecting w the dc bmi stuff.

Parts of va/md getting snowflakes the size of baseballs as radar is lit up like xmas tree down there.

Also DE/S NJ and adj. coastal waters seeing nice convection .

Pinwheeling around as it slides ne

Wish i was below freezing but winds they are gusty here...waitin for low to make its move Ne from Delmarva coast toward BOS

its already busted in central MD where they are getting raped. rap shows them with 1-2".

You guys in CT will get hit with it, could be decent extra QPF, but the trick will be the precipitation type. 

Even the RAP (which you pointed out is already low with precip) has a pocket of 0.25"< melted in one hour in CT.  That's some heavy precipitation, whatever it is that falls.  You guys could have some like thunder graupel or sleet or something.

Just a complete and utter poundings into submission throughout NE right now.

Interior maine gettin crush job

State college in some weenie band just getting buried waaay out there and now that band is filling into to the se connecting w the dc bmi stuff.

Parts of va/md getting snowflakes the size of baseballs as radar is lit up like xmas tree down there.

Also DE/S NJ and adj. coastal waters seeing nice convection .

Pinwheeling around as it slides ne

Wish i was below freezing but winds they are gusty here...waitin for low to make its move Ne from Delmarva coast toward BOS

Not only interior Maine getting crushed right now. I just had one of the worst commutes home I have ever experienced. And my route was nearly all coastal. I-95 & I-295, RT. 1. Took 3 hours to go from Portland to the south end of Bath. Normally a 50 minute commute. Visibility at times was ~50 feet with 3+" an hour snowfall. It's still ripping out there. Winds gusting to 30 mph. 26°F

While we get a good thump of moisture here from the convection over S NJ you can already see the best deformation setting up west from BWI-ILG-ABE. I think that will setup even west of where models are pegging the heaviest QPF. 

The initial thump of moisture we get from convection will most certainly not be snow. Sleet, probably, ZR maybe... but the combination of cooling on the backside of the low and the heaviest precip as the comma head pivots will probably just clip the Berkshires and stay west of us. I doubt more than 1"-2" on the backside as it weakens and moves east post-pivot.

I would not be surprised if someone in E NY puts up a 15" or 18" total additional tonight. 

The latest RAP just absolutely destroys the Albany area later tonight.

attachicon.gifacsnw_t3sfc_f18.png

If only that could begin that eastern turn a few miles sooner.

While we get a good thump of moisture here from the convection over S NJ you can already see the best deformation setting up west from BWI-ILG-ABE. I think that will setup even west of where models are pegging the heaviest QPF. 

The initial thump of moisture we get from convection will most certainly not be snow. Sleet, probably, ZR maybe... but the combination of cooling on the backside of the low and the heaviest precip as the comma head pivots will probably just clip the Berkshires and stay west of us. I doubt more than 1"-2" on the backside as it weakens and moves east post-pivot.

I would not be surprised if someone in E NY puts up a 15" or 18" total additional tonight. 

Agree on both that placement (perhaps further west) and that amount wherever it does go.  Simply impressive.

Temp continuing to tick upward here in Shelburne.

26.1/25, needles, needles, needles.

wow, i can see that happening. ull is getting deep. congrats ALB, they've been screwed in recent years.

If only that could begin that eastern turn a few miles sooner.

Agree on both that placement (perhaps further west) and that amount wherever it does go.  Simply impressive.

Temp continuing to tick upward here in Shelburne.

26.1/25, needles, needles, needles.

I'll be interested to see if you stay snow or flip over. I'm really hoping that Mount Snow is able to stay all snow and they don't get some ugly glaze of ZR in the middle of the pack. 

my last post was deleted but HRRR 22z is coming in Southeast of this run with accumulating snow to end to the east coast. Heavier amounts the further west you go.

interestingly they didn't delete your troll post about and 12/9/05. I was discussing evolution based on one model run and upper air similarities. Mets complain about reading comprehension and posts get deleted yet... Story is not done yet, another now cast. Should bbe an interesting evolution hopefully better forecast than the LI NYC SWCT stuff from this morning

Archived