• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

Really good discussion by FFC this morning!

If it wasn't clear enough before, FFC makes sure to get it across this morning.

.SHORT TERM /00Z WED THRU 12Z THU/...

LETS JUST START BY SAYING THIS WINTER STORM MAY BE OF HISTORIC

PROPORTIONS FOR PORTIONS OF THE AREA. WE ARE LOOKING AT SIGNIFICANT

SNOWFALL TOTALS NORTH /ESPECIALLY NORTHEAST/ AND SIGNIFICANT...

CRIPPLING...ICE TOTALS ESPECIALLY ALONG THE INTERSTATE 20 CORRIDOR.

THE HIGHEST ICE TOTALS WILL BE IN A ROUGH WEDGE GENERALLY FROM THE

METRO ATLANTA AREA AND POINTS EAST...SOUTH OF I-85...AND NORTH OF

I-16.

They have a long, but very detailed morning disco you can read there. Looks like they're expecting 7-9 inches of snow for NE GA, 4 inches for the remainder of N. GA, 2 inches for ATL metro, and 1 inch just south of there.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=FFC&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone verify this moisture in the south? I was watching the animated radar and it seems to be showing the moisture moving Northeast or am I just imagining it? If so this brings it into Central North Carolina today and with all that moisture we may get some snow earlier? Local Mets are saying it's supposed to stay south of us.

MOISTURE_zps2efe8fe3.png

Can someone verify this moisture in the south? I was watching the animated radar and it seems to be showing the moisture moving Northeast or am I just imagining it? If so this brings it into Central North Carolina today and with all that moisture we may get some snow earlier? Local Mets are saying it's supposed to stay south of us.

MOISTURE_zps2efe8fe3.png

It's legit! Woke up about 5 min ago, 95% snow 5% rain!! If we get good rates, 1-2 inches for today!!? Awesome big flakes

MOISTURE_zps2efe8fe3.png

Yep, light snain in Greer. I'm 1 mile from GSP airport.

These are some scary 3 hour zr rates from the 06 NAM for KJNX - 2 miles from me. Another disconcerting thing is - this all happens at night when you can't see what's going on.

39 02/12 21Z   29     27      41      17    0.12  0.00    544    562    1.2 -16.8 1022 100 FZRN    42 02/13 00Z   31     30      30      19    0.42  0.00    547    561    2.8 -17.5 1018 100 FZRN    45 02/13 03Z   31     30      27      15    0.49  0.00    548    560    5.2 -16.6 1014 100 FZRN    48 02/13 06Z   31     31      18      14    0.28  0.00    549    556    6.9 -17.0 1009 100 FZRN    51 02/13 09Z   31     30     343      12    0.16  0.00    547    552    5.5 -19.1 1006 100 -FZRN 

People*** should evacuate tomorrow before things get bad. GO SOUTH. If I didn't absolutely have to be here I'd be gone by now. Grab a hotel on the FL border.

***specifically, people in this demon strip from Augusta to Aiken to Columbia. It's heavily wooded, even inside the cities, and we're just utterly not prepared.

Head to Waycross

I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality reading the language of ffc's discussion and seeing local tv mets calling for "catastrophic" freezing rain and more than 6 inches of snow in northeast ga. I've never heard this language being used before nor the amounts forecasted. I know we knew it was coming but to see them doing it is surreal.

Cold Rain/ RDU - major rain for us on the Euro, bummer. RGEM looks to flip to rain too, 6z GFS warmed us too.

It might but I wouldn't count on it. There is some real cold air being pushed down from the north. At hour 30 it has dew points in the mid teens for RDU and they never get above 30 through the event. This is historically a great setup for a big winter storm. At face value(and going on what Allen said about the models) this would be a huge ice storm. Now the big question is what is really going to happen. This is where you need real meterology over model output.  

It's running more west to east vs. east north east. 

It might but I wouldn't count on it. There is some real cold air being pushed down from the north. At hour 30 it has dew points in the mid teens for RDU and they never get above 30 through the event. This is historically a great setup for a big winter storm. At face value(and going on what Allen said about the models) this would be a huge ice storm. Now the big question is what is really going to happen. This is where you need real meterology over model output.

Fall/Cary - let's see what the 12z runs show, I think the track will get locked in then. The Euro wasn't even close, had us hitting 35F around midnight tomorrow, still a nice thump before then. Still think if this tracks inside Hatteras we rain, over it or east we don't.

It's strange to see RAH issue the Winter Storm warning valid from Winston-Salem over to Raleigh and to put a blanket 3-5 for the area without making it clear that the triad should see much more accumulation.

I just mentioned that on Facebook too lol! 

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM WEDNESDAY TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM WEDNESDAY TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* HAZARDS...SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. HEAVY SNOW IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT INCLUDING THE TRIAD...WITH A COMBINATION OF SNOW AND POTENTIALLY DAMAGING ICE ACCUMULATIONS ALONG AND EAST OF THE HIGHWAY 1 CORRIDOR INCLUDING THE TRIANGLE AND INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR.

* LOCATIONS...THE NORTHWEST AND NORTHERN PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA.

* TIMING...WINTRY PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA FROM THE SOUTH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING. PRECIPITATION SHOULD BEGIN AS SNOW...THEN TRANSITION TO A MIXTURE OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN FROM SOUTHEAST TO NORTHWEST DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY. PRECIPITATION WILL END FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST DURING THE DAY THURSDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES...ALONG WITH A TENTH TO A QUARTER OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* IMPACTS...SIGNIFICANT SNOW AND ICING COULD SEVERELY DISRUPT TRAVEL ACROSS THE AREA ON WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. POWER OUTAGES AND PROPERTY DAMAGE WILL BE POSSIBLE IN ASSOCIATION WITH POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS.

* WINDS...FROM THE NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH TODAY... INCREASING WEDNESDAY TO 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S TO AROUND 30.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

snowwarning_zps59946146.png

Thanks for posting Calc.. As of now, ray's site is down..lol

Looks like a good call. I also like how he left the door open for more than 10+. That is in line with the Euro.

I did it for the sake of the board!!  You have no idea what I had to fight through to get that map.  I attacked all other curious IP addresses with a brickbot and managed to sneak in past the firewall before the server crashed.  AmWxForums is now the only place where you can see the Raysweather accumulation map!  I think that screen capture used up all my strength though.  Someone else will have to battle through to find the next map.  :D

Archived