Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eastern trends worrisome for mountains and foothills or just extending the snow line southeast?

Not necessarily worrisome - we're still in position for a significant snowstorm. Just maybe not the foot we were looking at before. But the Euro has been the steadiest model so far and was a huge hit for us at 12z, and that has yet to come in.

Through 48 it looks the same to me, hour 60 is the big map, waiting on it.

Just going by the high-res P-type maps, the snow/sleet line looks further east.  It's enough to keep GSO/CLT all-snow or very close to it, whereas it had serious mixing issues at 12z.   It's like a 24-hour storm, too...

Looks like Raleigh gets around six hours of heavy snow before flipping over to sleet.

GGEM looks the same, exactly the same to me.  HPC is going with the 12z UK ad 12z Euro ENS mean, which isn't good for us.  We are 48 hours out, I feel like we will get 1-2" of snow, with several hours of sleet, it's 50/50 whether we flip to rain or not, won't know until tomorrow's 0z runs for sure.  At least I will be in the office tomorrow so won't have time to horse around with these models, which is good if things trend west tomorrow.

Just going by the high-res P-type maps, it's further east, probably tracking through the Pamlico Sound.  It's enough to keep GSO/CLT all-snow or very close to it, whereas it had serious mixing issues at 12z.   It's like a 24-hour storm, too...

Looks like Raleigh gets around six hours of heavy snow before flipping over to sleet.

I thought it looked a hair east, but essentially it's the same, for RDU it was noise.  Hopefully Euro get's back to hugging the coast tonight if it runs inland that will leave things very edgy tomorrow.

Liking the slight eastward tick here... was really getting fidgety about sleet chances.  It seems the models are looking to keep the westward push of the mid level warmth up to I-85 at the worst now.  That should be around right with the low tracking just off shore.

The placement of the 850 low is just about perfect for areas just NW of 85.

Just going by the high-res P-type maps, the snow/sleet line looks further east.  It's enough to keep GSO/CLT all-snow or very close to it, whereas it had serious mixing issues at 12z.   It's like a 24-hour storm, too...

How does about 14 hours of moderate to straight badass snow with about 1/2 an inch of IP tossed in the middle just to flip the NCDOT the bird grab you?  :snowing:

Like this look with the 996 slp off the coast. Would still like to see it a little deeper a little earlier. And a little more east.

[sNIPPED IMAGE]

Wow, if I take the minimum of each precip panel of the UKMET, I get 1.1" QPF.  If I take the maximum of each panel, I get 1.6" QPF.  Since when did the UKMET become such a weenie model?!   :lmao:

How does about 14 hours of moderate to straight badass snow with about 1/2 an inch of IP tossed in the middle just to flip the NCDOT the bird grab you?  :snowing:

Amazing! :)

I thought it looked a hair east, but essentially it's the same, for RDU it was noise.  Hopefully Euro get's back to hugging the coast tonight if it runs inland that will leave things very edgy tomorrow.

Yea, it's really very very similar to the 12z. It's hard to tell much of a difference QPF wise.

Liking the slight eastward tick here... was really getting fidgety about sleet chances. It seems the models are looking to keep the westward push of the mid level warmth up to I-85 at the worst now. That should be around right with the low tracking just off shore.

The placement of the 850 low is just about perfect for areas just NW of 85.

I think you are sitting pretty up in Mooresville for all snow. CLT is right on the line but hopeful heavy rates can overcome any slight warm nose and keep sleet at bay at least until the stint pulls away, leaving us with light sleet and freezing drizzle to cap everything off. Even with mixing it'll be a major storm here if things play out as modeled. A classic WNC winter storm that we've been needing these past few years.

JB insists this is tracking inside Hatteras, that means, GFS/UK/CMC/NAM all will shift west over the next 48 hours.

What is your take on the Euro being so consistent with this for the past several days along with its ensembles and the control run (which is even further west)?

What is your take on the Euro being so consistent with this for the past several days along with its ensembles and the control run (which is even further west)?

I think it moves back east some, and not as deep, but definitely west of GFS. The CMC is phase happy usually and it's right over Hatteras, so is UK, think it gets to there.

That is straight up hilarious.  Although I think NCDOT will be MIA when the crap starts hitting the fan.

Archived