happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z Euro brings the freezing line just west of RDU, west side of Wake County, a lot would flip to rain verbatim. This goes anymore west, which I expect, it could be more rain.

The one thing we can hope on is that high is pretty strong and the euro might not depict the CAD very well. Also that same high may also cause this storm to setup a little more east. I am very interested in today's 12z runs.

As I've stated before I really like how RAH has handled the last few events. Somebody else posted the below image form RAH and I think that's as good of a run down for our area as we can get right now.

http://i.imgur.com/0zwNSOK.png

A real question ? The precip shield looks to barely get to the NC mountains, so I am curious as to how people are coming up with foot totals there? I think in my neck of the woods, we will be on the N edge of heavy precip, so I think somewhere between greenwood and Caesars head will be the bullseye if too much sleet does not mix in

Euro does.

A real question ? The precip shield looks to barely get to the NC mountains, so I am curious as to how people are coming up with foot totals there? I think in my neck of the woods, we will be on the N edge of heavy precip, so I think somewhere between greenwood and Caesars head will be the bullseye if too much sleet does not mix in

I believe they're factoring in the storm that is cutting across TN as we speak, that the upstate will see minimal of. Then we'll see additional with the Gulf storm that will be the upstate's snow maker.

most models and ensembles do. This is a perfect mtn track.

:huh:  Let me know what models you are looking at because they aren't the ones I'm seeing..or anyone else for that matter.

so it looks like both the ecmfm and NAM have this mainly a Wednesday event now for NE Ga and the Western Carolinas (have not checked the other models) and for the upstate at least this looks to be mostly a sleet event.  Surface and 950 temps look to be below freezing for the duration.  850's seem to go back and forth with mostly just above freezing (this is just from looking at the color coded maps and no real text output but should be fairly accurate I am assuming).

Another thing for the RDU folks; going off the grids it looks like RAH is setting up the "surface freezing line" for Wednesday night along and west of US 401. Areas west of that (including downtown Raleigh) have a forecast of snow, sleet, and freezing rain; whereas areas to the east have snow, sleet, and freezing rain until 9pm, then just rain before possible ending as snow on Thursday. Looks to match close to the GFS/NAM snow/ice maps from this morning.  

Well I just got caught up on last nights euro and this mornings 6z runs and have to admit, it wasn't great for the RDU area.  As others have mentioned, we need this to be a little further east. A cold rain is actually something that could happen.  As I've been tracking this over the past week, I was hoping for sn or ip.  I didn't want any zr!  So if It is going to be that close between rn and zr, just give me the rn...LOL!

Oooh lord..will you all make your guesses one way or the other. What do u mean when GSO does not look good? In means of getting hammered by snow or getting no snow?

The models have been trending NW and right now GSO is already in the mostly sleet zone. That isn't where I want to be 2+ days out considering I would like to see a lot of snow. Can they trend back east? Of course, but the trend is solidly against central NC right now.

Well I just got caught up on last nights euro and this mornings 6z runs and have to admit, it wasn't great for the RDU area. As others have mentioned, we need this to be a little further east. A cold rain is actually something that could happen. As I've been tracking this over the past week, I was hoping for sn or ip. I didn't want any zr! So if It is going to be that close between rn and zr, just give me the rn...LOL!

Final call map still looking good for our area, unfortunately. :( :(

Does anyone realize how warm it is after the storm? Are the models not taking into account the snow pack or sleet pack that will be present? I remember with the storm two weeks ago, some places saw their coldest temps of the season and they weren't forecast.

Yeah, our local channels have 60 on Saturday

:huh: Let me know what models you are looking at because they aren't the ones I'm seeing..or anyone else for that matter.

The fox 21 met must be looking at a worse model than me! She just showed a map that has 2-4 for most of the upstate, a 1-3 swath from NC/SC border to Asheville and a stripe of 3-5 inches over the high mountains.

so it looks like both the ecmfm and NAM have this mainly a Wednesday event now for NE Ga and the Western Carolinas (have not checked the other models) and for the upstate at least this looks to be mostly a sleet event.  Surface and 950 temps look to be below freezing for the duration.  850's seem to go back and forth with mostly just above freezing (this is just from looking at the color coded maps and no real text output but should be fairly accurate I am assuming).

What? I don't think so.

LOL, I know one thing, warmth always wins in our area, models are usually to cold. Bring on the rain!

CAE is 150 miles SE of us will be getting a ice storm while we are rain, that's funny....

If we escape another winter with RDU not getting a 2 inch snowfall, THAT will be funny...almost unbelievable.

My hand is up!... :wub:

:wub: 

It could be really ugly for you!

I know  :(      If I have to have an ice storm, I really would like it to be something I've never experienced before. I've never personally witnessed ice accum's over 1". :lol:   If it didn't looks so bad here, I'd be up with my daughter/sil/granddaughter in Spartanburg playing in almost a foot of snow  :(  

. Yup.

:wub: 

Archived