• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

The model analyses should start becoming closer to the sampled "truth" of the northern stream shortwave. However, today's 12z runs (at least the GFS) will still be influenced by the background analysis which is the 06z run's 6 hr forecast. By 00z that information should be fully incorporated into the model analyses.

Actually the vorticity max associated with that closed low offshore of the Pacific northwest will not be fully sampled by the sounding network until 06-12z tomorrow. This is the feature that amplifies slightly into the "kicker" trough, which will have implications on the final track as well.

Thanks for the thoughts.  Was pretty cool to watch the 2 s/w's break off from that ULL in the GOA.  The 1st being the storm itself and the 2nd becoming the kicker s/w.  For us here in the Northeast the kicker is critical so not having that fully incorporated till 00z tonight is not that bad.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The model analyses should start becoming closer to the sampled "truth" of the northern stream shortwave. However, today's 12z runs (at least the GFS) will still be influenced by the background analysis which is the 06z run's 6 hr forecast. By 00z that information should be fully incorporated into the model analyses.

Actually the vorticity max associated with that closed low offshore of the Pacific northwest will not be fully sampled by the sounding network until 06-12z tomorrow. This is the feature that amplifies slightly into the "kicker" trough, which will have implications on the final track as well.

but wouldn't pure observation seem to indicate where the kicker is now compared to guidance?  I am going to read the HPC model discussion, perhaps they discuss that in there.

but wouldn't pure observation seem to indicate where the kicker is now compared to guidance?  I am going to read the HPC model discussion, perhaps they discuss that in there.

Sure but it doesn't really tell you anything about strength of the vortmax. The better sampled the vorticity, the more accurate the models will be in the future evolution of that feature (the kicker)

We do have satellite incorporation now which is better than 10-15 years ago, but RAOB is still better.

No it's definitely west of the coastline. When you have a lot of speed max vorticity like this will have...it's a good thing to try and get actual observations since the downstream effects are quite large.

You can see where it is, But what is the pressure that is associated with it, That's what needs to be determined

Folllowing up, I like this overnight diagnostic from HPC:

toss the nam at this point

gfs too weak and east

ukmet too west

cmc to fast

the track into the gom instead of ene still looks good

EASTERN U.S. CYCLONE AND WINTER STORM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 12Z UKMET / 12Z EC MEAN
OR A BLEND OF 00Z GFS / 00Z ECMWF POSITION

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE 00Z NAM IS DIFFERENT EARLY IN THE SHORT RANGE...REGARDING A
NRN STREAM SHORTWAVE CURRENTLY ENTERING BRITISH COLUMBIA EARLY
THIS MORNING.
THIS CONTINUES DOWNSTREAM WITH A SLOWER/NORTHWARD
DISPLACED MID-LEVEL JET STREAK BY WED MORNING OVER THE CNTRL HIGH
PLAINS...A FEATURE WHICH HOLDS GOOD CONTINUITY IN THE
GFS/ECMWF/UKMET. THIS RESULTS IN A LESS AMPLIFIED UPPER TROUGH IN
THE NAM BY EARLY THU OVER THE CNTRL APPALACHIANS.

THE ENSEMBLE SCATTER LOW PLOTS ARE MORE TIGHTLY CLUSTERED TODAY
THAN YESTERDAY...WHICH SHOULD BE EXPECTED...BUT THEY HAVE MADE A
WHOLESALE SHIFT SLOWER AND WEST.
THE ECMWF MEMBERS ARE ON THE WEST
SIDE OF THE LATEST LOW PLOT ENVELOPE...INITIALIZED
12Z/10...FOLLOWED BY THE GEFS/CMC MEMBERS JUST EAST OF THE ECMWF
MEMBER CLUSTER DURING THE DAY ON THURSDAY. THIS PRECLUDES USE OF
THE 00Z CMC WHICH CONTINUES TO BE MUCH FASTER THAN THE CONSENSUS.
THE 00Z UKMET IS LIKELY THE MOST AGGRESSIVE MODEL WITH HOW FAR
SOUTH THE UPPER TROUGH DIGS INTO THE SOUTHEAST AND ENDS UP WEST OF
ITS 12Z RUN WITH THE SURFACE LOW...AND IS LIKELY TOO FAR WEST. THE
00Z ECMWF HAS SHIFTED ITS LOW TRACK EAST SLIGHTLY FROM ITS 12Z
RUN...20-40 MILES...ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST BUT IS NEARLY
IDENTICAL TO ITS PREVIOUS RUN NEAR THE NEW ENGLAND COAST.
THE 00Z
ECMWF IS STILL A BIT WEST OF THE 12Z EC MEAN NEAR NEW ENGLAND
GIVEN THESE ADJUSTMENTS...STILL FEEL THE 00Z GFS IS A TAD TOO FAR
EAST...AND TOO WEAK...PERHAPS RELATED TO POSSIBLE CONVECTIVE
FEEDBACK ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST
THURSDAY MORNING. THE
PREVIOUS PREFERENCE CONTINUES...BUT TO INCLUDE THE LATEST 00Z
MODEL SUITE...THE POSITION OF THE BLENDED 00Z ECMWF/GFS APPEARS
MOST USABLE...WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE 00Z ECMWF.

Sure but it doesn't really tell you anything about strength of the vortmax. The better sampled the vorticity, the more accurate the models will be in the future evolution of that feature (the kicker)

We do have satellite incorporation now which is better than 10-15 years ago, but RAOB is still better.

Yeah, the vertical resolution is still far greater in the balloon obs than the satellite-derived products.

hpc diagnostic suggests that nam is off on that shortwave.

The one thing that stood out to me on the 00z euro is that the 925mb low was certainly east of 12z.

Not surprising that the BL will cool/go east a bit even if many of the features are the same....since guidance seems to sometimes try and scour out a potent antecedent airmass too quickly. It will def modify quite a bit, but usually guidance is way too fast with it. We've seen the NAM do this too...despite similar tracks. It has steadily cooled the boundary layer in eastenr MA on each run it seems. Before, it was trying to produce a mix to rain back to ORH on a benchmark track.

Yeah, and the sun is rising today. :lol:

I thought it was a hi res, decent in the short term kinda model.

Overall I love the HPC diagnostic overnight.  I also like that Kocin seems on board to something near the Euro.

I know I'm in a good spot for this but I'm nervous!  I leave for India Saturday and I don't want another miss!!!

Not surprising that the BL will cool/go east a bit even if many of the features are the same....since guidance seems to sometimes try and scour out a potent antecedent airmass too quickly. It will def modify quite a bit, but usually guidance is way too fast with it. We've seen the NAM do this too...despite similar tracks. It has steadily cooled the boundary layer in eastenr MA on each run it seems. Before, it was trying to produce a mix to rain back to ORH on a benchmark track.

Time for the GFS to do the same because it seems way too warm west of 128, but we've seen that before. It's definitely going to shove warmer air well inland from actuality.

I thought it was a hi res, decent in the short term kinda model.

Overall I love the HPC diagnostic overnight.  I also like that Kocin seems on board to something near the Euro.

I know I'm in a good spot for this but I'm nervous!  I leave for India Saturday and I don't want another miss!!!

NAM is ok in short term as in <24 hours. Maybe 36 if we stretch it.

Its not useable at 60-66 hours.

He's been on the struggle bus this winter...

Well he went from Danielle Niles to Joe Joyce.

I'd be a litte sad & bummed too. lol

And to make this a non-OT post, the Euro is being really stubborn with the idea of closing off the mid/upper levels over Georgia & South Carolina.  Would love to see this occur just a little later.

Would also love for this to track another 75 miles east and avoid the dreaded dry slot.

Archived