• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As currently modeled are we looking at an early Thursday morning start?  How long are we expecting it to snow?

I think we're looking at late morning up in GC.  If folks aren't too spooked by the forecast, we might be able to manage an early school dismissal instead of a cancel.  Timing might also allow for a delayed opening rather than a closing on Friday.  

OT--just noticed the -9 at CEF this morning.  Lots of negative temps in CT, even sw areas along the merritt like georgetown and Wilton.  Wow.

just read the BOX discussion and it seemed kind of meh.. then started looking at some of the overnight models and everything looked pretty good I dont get it

They appear to be going cautious until today's model output.  Hard to blame them, there are a lot of moving parts that will determine how much snow falls in SNE and where.  Speed of that S/W is a big factor and also how soon this system winds up.  This time tomorrow we will all be a lot more confident about what's coming.

I think we're looking at late morning up in GC.  If folks aren't too spooked by the forecast, we might be able to manage an early school dismissal instead of a cancel.  Timing might also allow for a delayed opening rather than a closing on Friday.  

OT--just noticed the -9 at CEF this morning.  Lots of negative temps in CT, even sw areas along the merritt like georgetown and Wilton.  Wow.

Yeah, good luck with that. This thing will be a national news story and will be hyped to no end, especially with all the issues it'll cause down south. I'm fully anticipating wholesale advance cancellations throughout the NE.

Yes we need the Euro to stay just the way it is. :)

I'm hoping this system could be the one that heralds some change in the NAO state.  We can't survive on +NAO like we have been if we want winter threats deep into March, etc. This ones track is breaking the long pattern of lows just screaming across the pond after hitting us...and slamming right into the UK.

No, no more tickles east.  These features are already awesome for some.

Really liked the 06z NAM and GFS solutions.  Dynamic to say the least,  Should really start honing in on a track today as the kicked should be fully sampled by all models as it will be onshore.  My gut still says the Euro is still overamplified but it could be correct.  What storm on tap for the Southern states.  This has all the makings of an historical system overall.

They appear to be going cautious until today's model output.  Hard to blame them, there are a lot of moving parts that will determine how much snow falls in SNE and where.  Speed of that S/W is a big factor and also how soon this system winds up.  This time tomorrow we will all be a lot more confident about what's coming.

Agree with that approach.  They've got the HWO out there.  Nearly 48 hours to the start--no reason to hype things before now.  Awareness is appropriate.  After the 12z runs--which I doubt will have much change--I think their confidence on a significant impact will be enough to be more bullish.

He's been on the struggle bus this winter...

Possibly avoiding yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater type thing. If it waivers 50 miles west, much lower impact for his viewership.  If 50 miles east, it's high impact.  He explains it, quite clearly, in his PRELIMINARY FORECAST, and that the details will be ironed out- like all the professional mets are saying- it's still too early!

Really liked the 06z NAM and GFS solutions.  Dynamic to say the least,  Should really start honing in on a track today as the kicked should be fully sampled by all models as it will be onshore.  My gut still says the Euro is still overamplified but it could be correct.  What storm on tap for the Southern states.  This has all the makings of an historical system overall.

The model analyses should start becoming closer to the sampled "truth" of the northern stream shortwave. However, today's 12z runs (at least the GFS) will still be influenced by the background analysis which is the 06z run's 6 hr forecast. By 00z that information should be fully incorporated into the model analyses.

Actually the vorticity max associated with that closed low offshore of the Pacific northwest will not be fully sampled by the sounding network until 06-12z tomorrow. This is the feature that amplifies slightly into the "kicker" trough, which will have implications on the final track as well.

Archived