• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what id give for 1/27/11 a bit further nw and slower...i still reread nyc thread for that epic event on occasion....just missed the super heavy stuff here from that one

That was a ridiculous band that went through on 1/27/11.   I have a feeling the R/S line will be further north and west with this event.

post-847-0-37079500-1392076936_thumb.jpg

Steph had 13.5.. I had 16.. Gay had 12.5

DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

CONNECTICUT

...HARTFORD COUNTY...

GLASTONBURY 17.0 1020 AM 1/27 SPOTTER

SOUTH WINDSOR 15.0 825 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

MANCHESTER 14.8 607 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

SUFFIELD 14.2 601 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

ENFIELD 13.5 809 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

WETHERSFIELD 13.0 801 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

ROCKY HILL 12.5 544 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

EAST WINDSOR 12.0 813 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

WINDSOR LOCKS 12.0 700 AM 1/27 BRADLEY AIRPORT

BRISTOL 12.0 730 AM 1/27

WEST HARTFORD 11.0 159 PM 1/27 HAM RADIO

AVON 9.5 614 AM 1/27

BURLINGTON 9.0 603 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

EAST FARMINGTON HEIG 9.0 554 AM 1/27 SPOTTER

GRANBY (2MI SW) 8.0 1018 AM 1/27 NWS EMPLOYEE

NORTH GRANBY 6.5 700 AM 1/27

GRANBY 6.0 803 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

...TOLLAND COUNTY...

STAFFORDVILLE 19.0 757 AM 1/27 CO-OP

STAFFORD 18.0 611 AM 1/27

STAFFORD SPRINGS 16.0 949 AM 1/27

TOLLAND 16.0 616 AM 1/27

COVENTRY 15.0 1033 AM 1/27 GENERAL PUBLIC

ELLINGTON 13.0 807 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

STORRS 13.0 107 PM 1/27

VERNON 13.0 609 AM 1/27 HAM RADIO

...WINDHAM COUNTY...

MOOSUP 17.5 901 AM

Model diagnostic disco was a bit more candid than the normal tonality...

ON THE LARGE SCALE A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM CERTAINLY APPEARS IN ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL MODELS. PRECIPITATION IS FOCUSED INITIALLY ALONG A MID LEVEL FRONTAL ZONE ORIENTED WEST TO EAST. LOW PRESSURE THEN DEVELOPS ALONG THE GULF COAST BY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND TRACKS TO JUST OFFSHORE OF THE MID ATLANTIC/DELMARVA TO NEW JERSEY BY THURSDAY AFTERNOON. ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL SOLUTIONS ARE PLAUSIBLE...BUT THERE ARE VERY MEANINGFUL STRENGTH/TRACK DIFFERENCES. OUR PREFERENCE IS BASED ON TRENDS IN SOME OF THE TIMING/STRENGTH/TRACK DETAILS. THE PAST TWO RUNS OF THE ECMWF HAVE BEEN ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE TRACK ENVELOPE WHILE ALSO BEING VERY STRONGLY DEVELOPED WITH THE SURFACE LOW. THE OPERATIONAL MODEL CONSENSUS IS TOWARD A LOW TRACK THAT IS MORE SUPPRESSED TO THE SOUTH ACROSS GEORGIA AND ADJACENT STATES ON DAY 2...AND THEN FARTHER EAST...SLIGHTLY OFFSHORE ON DAY 3. GIVEN THAT THE PARENT UPPER WAVE IS INITIALLY OF VERY LOW AMPLITUDE AND EMBEDDED IN FAST ZONAL FLOW...WE PREFER THE NON-ECMWF CONSENSUS. WE OMITTED THE CANADIAN FROM THIS CONSENSUS AS ITS SOLUTION IS SLIGHTLY FAST.

THE NAM/GFS ARE LIKELY NOT PERFECT...BUT THEY HAVE TRENDED TOWARD THE ENSEMBLE MEANS...ESPECIALLY FOR TRACK AND TIMING. IT IS WORTH NOTING THAT THERE IS EVIDENCE FROM MULTIPLE RUNS OF THE ECMWF AND THE LATEST UKMET...AS WELL AS SEVERAL 12Z GEFS MEMBERS...THAT THE LOW LEVEL CYCLONE MAY DROP DEEPER THAN THE NAM/GFS SOLUTIONS BY 14/00Z.

AN IMPORTANT NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE HAD NOT YET COME ASHORE INTO BRITISH COLUMBIA THIS MORNING...SO SOME MARKED TRENDS MAY BE YET TO COME. THE 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET...HOWEVER...ARE CONSISTENT WITH THE CURRENT TRENDS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS...WHICH GIVES US SOME CONFIDENCE IN RECOMMENDING THEM.

Couple inches of snow first (at least)

FYP.  Too early to speculate, but initial thump (even on coastal hugger depictions) gives N RI a good front ender.  N RI does well, decent topography and more western longitude.  Waiting for 12z tomorrow though.  The envelope (between the GFS and EURO) is large enough to have great effects on sensible weather from place to place.  

FYP. Too early to speculate, but initial thump (even on coastal hugger depictions) give N RI a good front ender. N RI does well, decent topography and more western longitude. Waiting for 12z tomorrow though. The envelope (between the GFS and EURO) is large enough to have great effects on sensible weather from place to place.

The NW corner of RI (Burrillville, Foster/Glocester) maybe a bit more

This has the look of an arcing super-band. Get under that and you go big. Outside that band, snow totals cut-off, but someone is getting smoked in the mid-Atlantic and northeast.

yes and when I was referencing front end hellacious thump, the Euro individual Ens have many members with 1 inch qpf in 6 hrs slamming into NE with below zero 850s. Just a thumping, that's 2-3 per hour stuff, easy to see how those Euro weenie snow maps were printing out 6-12 inch front end stuff. Now if that happens and you combined that with a CCb some one is going to get crushed with a 15-18, and details to be determined.

This has the look of an arcing super-band. Get under that and you go big. Outside that band, snow totals cut-off, but someone is getting smoked in the mid-Atlantic and northeast.

When I said Jan 2000 I meant something like this, but further east when it approaches our latitude...not that it's actually an analog or anything. I probably shouldn't even throw the word around since my words may get spun around.

post-3-0-77232600-1392080375_thumb.gif

As mentioned by RunAwayIceCube

i really like that....SN change perhaps.

but yea, it just has that feast or famine look. the forecasters can paint a general 12-16" swatch in an area and some locals get 6" and call it a bust then the guy down the street comes running at you naked cuz he just lost his yard stick.

Archived