• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sort of surprised some on here seem so bought into the ECM verbatim. My gut since yesterday is that the CCB ends up in your next of the woods Blizz....HFD-ORH-PWM type axis.

I'm with you there, Scott.  I'd feel pretty good if I were east of 91 on this.  This has eastern shift on it. 

Note:  I feel good where I am, but I don't expect an EC placement.  I hope to be proven wrong.

What do mets see as the high end on totals for this..wherever the jacks might end up? 

Prob 15-18" or so. Assuming this is a pretty well formed cyclone...if for some reason it craps out more and tries to string itself out, then that upper bound is obviously less, but I think that latter scenario has a low chance of happening.

Prob 15-18" or so. Assuming this is a pretty well formed cyclone...if for some reason it craps out more and tries to string itself out, then that upper bound is obviously less, but I think that latter scenario has a low chance of happening.

Any worries of this occluding rather quickly and shutting off moisture inflow?  Looks at some runs over the past few days...I know GFS...can't remember if Euro had it but the GFS occludes the system just off to our south an QPF quickly goes down.  

I'd agree with those amounts... jackpot area likely in the 12-18" range.  Down in the mid-Atlantic maybe some folks hit 18-24"? 

Interior question.. Would they be looking at wet low 30's snow or more like mid-upper 20's?

What are you thinking now? NWS was favoring a GFS ukie nam combo, do you think they stick with that or that the euro has the better grasp of the situation.

Ideally it would be gefs track with euro intensity right?

Yeah GEFS with euro intensity would be weenie love lol. Personally I favor a 75/25 or so Euro/GFS. I think GFS is too far east, although a bit interesting a new run closer to the event and even it's enaembles are east. Doesn't really change my opinion though.

Wonder what mets back before the age of computers would be predicting based on the pattern recognition

Im not sure, but odds are, it would be incorrect!  Forecasts have gotten so much better now. I remember being a kid back in the early '60s Id go off skating for the day or something with a forecast that it would be sunny for the rest of the day and that night, and when I'd get home, my dad would ask me, 'have you checked the forecast? '  Back then, we didnt have winter storm warnings; we had Heavy Snow warnings, which in se NY meant  > 4 in.  Frequently the forecast would be incorrect even within 12 hrs!  And by 'incorrect', I mean a change from sunny and cold to Heavy Snow warnings! That you dont see too often anymore.

Just as frequently, a storm would be progged to move from OBX up the coast, attended by its requisite 'heavy snow warning'.. Flurries would start, and, at night, 2 hrs later, the stars would be out.. WTF?  Of course, OTS it would bend... The bad busts happened frequently in both directions!  Also, the 3rd day of a 3 day forecast ( which pretty much was as far as they dared to venture into the future in a typical forecast ) was accorded about the same respect as hr 168 in our current regime...

Archived