• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

Can we get some rationale behind this?  :weenie:

Peronally thinking the Euro is too slow with the kicker, but probably has a good handle on the southern stream energy. 75/25 Euro/GFS compromise right now IMO.

Sure...I thought I said the Euro show it over tan...I figured slight east kick takes it over MVY or ACK...

I don't buy the GFS solution over the benchmark.  It has not handled the Southern stream well...I think Euro is the way to go when the southern stream is involved.  That said, there will be a slight tick east as we get closer I think, but I don't think it will be enough to put it over the benchmark.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure...I thought I said the Euro show it over tan...I figured slight east kick takes it over MVY or ACK...

I don't buy the GFS solution over the benchmark.  It has not handled the Southern stream well...I think Euro is the way to go when the southern stream is involved.  That said, there will be a slight tick east as we get closer I think, but I don't think it will be enough to put it over the benchmark.

Just out of curiosity...do you believe the Euro has handled energy coming out of the deep SW well this past month or two?

I actually agree with that. I think the BM is the outer goal post, and the 12z Euro is the other goal post, so to speak.

:lol:  So what's all the worrying about for SNE?  That doesn't look like congrats ALB-NNE.

And holy crap ATL. 

Seriously...ATL couldn't handle 2" the other week. They get a foot they'll be shut down for a month. 

As for up here...the front end thump on the Euro means business. 8-12" region wide away from the Cape. If this thing comes as far west as the Euro wants to bring it...the Euro solution is probably the best we can hope for...with a massive dry slot accompanying the low-mid level torch. Plenty of time to get this thing east though.

Seriously...ATL couldn't handle 2" the other week. They get a foot they'll be shut down for a month. 

As for up here...the front end thump on the Euro means business. 8-12" region wide away from the Cape. If this thing comes as far west as the Euro wants to bring it...the Euro solution is probably the best we can hope for...with a massive dry slot accompanying the low-mid level torch. Plenty of time to get this thing east though.

The dynamical WAA thump on the Euro is pretty awesome actually. It would certainly be a net-gainer even in your area. Some 35F cold rain and a dryslot isn't going to wipe out 6"+ of paste on the front end...not a chance.

We'll see how this trends, but my gut says the Euro will begin to tick back SE a shade...probably tonight, but def by tomorrow 12z. But I've been wrong before and I will be again...so we'll see what she wants to do.

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

208 PM EST MON FEB 10 2014

VALID FEB 10/1200 UTC THRU FEB 14/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

==============================================

12Z MODEL EVALUATION AND PREFERENCES

NAM/GFS INITIALIZATION ERRORS DO NOT APPEAR TO

SIGNIFICANTLY AFFECT THEIR LARGE SCALE OUTPUT.

...EASTERN U.S. CYCLONE AND WINTER STORM...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

ON THE LARGE SCALE A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM CERTAINLY APPEARS IN

ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL MODELS. PRECIPITATION IS FOCUSED INITIALLY

ALONG A MID LEVEL FRONTAL ZONE ORIENTED WEST TO EAST. LOW PRESSURE

THEN DEVELOPS ALONG THE GULF COAST BY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND TRACKS

TO JUST OFFSHORE OF THE MID ATLANTIC/DELMARVA TO NEW JERSEY BY

THURSDAY AFTERNOON. ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL SOLUTIONS ARE

PLAUSIBLE...BUT THERE ARE VERY MEANINGFUL STRENGTH/TRACK

DIFFERENCES. OUR PREFERENCE IS BASED ON TRENDS IN SOME OF THE

TIMING/STRENGTH/TRACK DETAILS. THE PAST TWO RUNS OF THE ECMWF HAVE

BEEN ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE TRACK ENVELOPE WHILE ALSO BEING VERY

STRONGLY DEVELOPED WITH THE SURFACE LOW. THE OPERATIONAL MODEL

CONSENSUS IS TOWARD A LOW TRACK THAT IS MORE SUPPRESSED TO THE

SOUTH ACROSS GEORGIA AND ADJACENT STATES ON DAY 2...AND THEN

FARTHER EAST...SLIGHTLY OFFSHORE ON DAY 3. GIVEN THAT THE PARENT

UPPER WAVE IS INITIALLY OF VERY LOW AMPLITUDE AND EMBEDDED IN FAST

ZONAL FLOW...WE PREFER THE NON-ECMWF CONSENSUS. WE OMITTED THE

CANADIAN FROM THIS CONSENSUS AS ITS SOLUTION IS SLIGHTLY FAST.

THE NAM/GFS ARE LIKELY NOT PERFECT...BUT THEY HAVE TRENDED TOWARD

THE ENSEMBLE MEANS...ESPECIALLY FOR TRACK AND TIMING. IT IS WORTH

NOTING THAT THERE IS EVIDENCE FROM MULTIPLE RUNS OF THE ECMWF AND

THE LATEST UKMET...AS WELL AS SEVERAL 12Z GEFS MEMBERS...THAT THE

LOW LEVEL CYCLONE MAY DROP DEEPER THAN THE NAM/GFS SOLUTIONS BY

14/00Z.

AN IMPORTANT NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE HAD NOT YET COME ASHORE

INTO BRITISH COLUMBIA THIS MORNING...SO SOME MARKED TRENDS MAY BE

YET TO COME. THE 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET...HOWEVER...ARE CONSISTENT WITH

THE CURRENT TRENDS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS...WHICH GIVES US SOME

CONFIDENCE IN RECOMMENDING THEM.

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSIONNWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD208 PM EST MON FEB 10 2014VALID FEB 10/1200 UTC THRU FEB 14/0000 UTC...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIRINGEST...==============================================12Z MODEL EVALUATION AND PREFERENCES==============================================NAM/GFS INITIALIZATION ERRORS DO NOT APPEAR TOSIGNIFICANTLY AFFECT THEIR LARGE SCALE OUTPUT.==============================================...EASTERN U.S. CYCLONE AND WINTER STORM...PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMETCONFIDENCE: AVERAGEON THE LARGE SCALE A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM CERTAINLY APPEARS INALL OF THE OPERATIONAL MODELS. PRECIPITATION IS FOCUSED INITIALLYALONG A MID LEVEL FRONTAL ZONE ORIENTED WEST TO EAST. LOW PRESSURETHEN DEVELOPS ALONG THE GULF COAST BY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND TRACKSTO JUST OFFSHORE OF THE MID ATLANTIC/DELMARVA TO NEW JERSEY BYTHURSDAY AFTERNOON. ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL SOLUTIONS AREPLAUSIBLE...BUT THERE ARE VERY MEANINGFUL STRENGTH/TRACKDIFFERENCES. OUR PREFERENCE IS BASED ON TRENDS IN SOME OF THETIMING/STRENGTH/TRACK DETAILS. THE PAST TWO RUNS OF THE ECMWF HAVEBEEN ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE TRACK ENVELOPE WHILE ALSO BEING VERYSTRONGLY DEVELOPED WITH THE SURFACE LOW. THE OPERATIONAL MODELCONSENSUS IS TOWARD A LOW TRACK THAT IS MORE SUPPRESSED TO THESOUTH ACROSS GEORGIA AND ADJACENT STATES ON DAY 2...AND THENFARTHER EAST...SLIGHTLY OFFSHORE ON DAY 3. GIVEN THAT THE PARENTUPPER WAVE IS INITIALLY OF VERY LOW AMPLITUDE AND EMBEDDED IN FASTZONAL FLOW...WE PREFER THE NON-ECMWF CONSENSUS. WE OMITTED THECANADIAN FROM THIS CONSENSUS AS ITS SOLUTION IS SLIGHTLY FAST.THE NAM/GFS ARE LIKELY NOT PERFECT...BUT THEY HAVE TRENDED TOWARDTHE ENSEMBLE MEANS...ESPECIALLY FOR TRACK AND TIMING. IT IS WORTHNOTING THAT THERE IS EVIDENCE FROM MULTIPLE RUNS OF THE ECMWF ANDTHE LATEST UKMET...AS WELL AS SEVERAL 12Z GEFS MEMBERS...THAT THELOW LEVEL CYCLONE MAY DROP DEEPER THAN THE NAM/GFS SOLUTIONS BY14/00Z.AN IMPORTANT NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE HAD NOT YET COME ASHOREINTO BRITISH COLUMBIA THIS MORNING...SO SOME MARKED TRENDS MAY BEYET TO COME. THE 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET...HOWEVER...ARE CONSISTENT WITHTHE CURRENT TRENDS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS...WHICH GIVES US SOMECONFIDENCE IN RECOMMENDING THEM.

Translated: snow bomb for SNE is favored by them particularly. 

Hello guys , nice to come across this forum . ! what are your thoughts for winds for Nova Scotia i know this isnt a canada forum but i would love your opinions . 

We have a fairly regular poster from Nova Scotia who posts here in the New England forum. Welcome.

Boston first call:

3-6inches of snow followed by heavy rain and ds. Euros back on her high horse.

That sounds reasonable.  I would cautiously go 4-8" from Boston to ASH.  Maybe 6-12" here.

It's hard not to trust in the Euro to a point, even if not the hottest hand at the time. 

there's hardly any precip after temps get too warm. last night had more sleet (at least here)

It brings the dryslot up into most of NJ/SE NY and a chunk of SNE with the CCB back over E NY/down through interior PA.

My guess it that it is too wrapped verbatim up as you seem to agree...but that certainly explains why the precip shuts off pretty quickly after the initial WAA burst of heavy snow. We'll have to watch it since if this goes about 50 miles E of the Euro, then a lot of folks in the populated centers are going to also get CCB snows.

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
208 PM EST MON FEB 10 2014

VALID FEB 10/1200 UTC THRU FEB 14/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR
INGEST...

12Z MODEL EVALUATION AND PREFERENCES
NAM/GFS INITIALIZATION ERRORS DO NOT APPEAR TO
SIGNIFICANTLY AFFECT THEIR LARGE SCALE OUTPUT.

...EASTERN U.S. CYCLONE AND WINTER STORM...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET
CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

ON THE LARGE SCALE A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM CERTAINLY APPEARS IN
ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL MODELS. PRECIPITATION IS FOCUSED INITIALLY
ALONG A MID LEVEL FRONTAL ZONE ORIENTED WEST TO EAST. LOW PRESSURE
THEN DEVELOPS ALONG THE GULF COAST BY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND TRACKS
TO JUST OFFSHORE OF THE MID ATLANTIC/DELMARVA TO NEW JERSEY BY
THURSDAY AFTERNOON. ALL OF THE OPERATIONAL SOLUTIONS ARE
PLAUSIBLE...BUT THERE ARE VERY MEANINGFUL STRENGTH/TRACK
DIFFERENCES. OUR PREFERENCE IS BASED ON TRENDS IN SOME OF THE
TIMING/STRENGTH/TRACK DETAILS. THE PAST TWO RUNS OF THE ECMWF HAVE
BEEN ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE TRACK ENVELOPE WHILE ALSO BEING VERY
STRONGLY DEVELOPED WITH THE SURFACE LOW. THE OPERATIONAL MODEL
CONSENSUS IS TOWARD A LOW TRACK THAT IS MORE SUPPRESSED TO THE
SOUTH ACROSS GEORGIA AND ADJACENT STATES ON DAY 2...AND THEN
FARTHER EAST...SLIGHTLY OFFSHORE ON DAY 3. GIVEN THAT THE PARENT
UPPER WAVE IS INITIALLY OF VERY LOW AMPLITUDE AND EMBEDDED IN FAST
ZONAL FLOW...WE PREFER THE NON-ECMWF CONSENSUS. WE OMITTED THE
CANADIAN FROM THIS CONSENSUS AS ITS SOLUTION IS SLIGHTLY FAST.

THE NAM/GFS ARE LIKELY NOT PERFECT...BUT THEY HAVE TRENDED TOWARD
THE ENSEMBLE MEANS...ESPECIALLY FOR TRACK AND TIMING. IT IS WORTH
NOTING THAT THERE IS EVIDENCE FROM MULTIPLE RUNS OF THE ECMWF AND
THE LATEST UKMET...AS WELL AS SEVERAL 12Z GEFS MEMBERS...THAT THE
LOW LEVEL CYCLONE MAY DROP DEEPER THAN THE NAM/GFS SOLUTIONS BY
14/00Z.

AN IMPORTANT NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE HAD NOT YET COME ASHORE
INTO BRITISH COLUMBIA THIS MORNING...SO SOME MARKED TRENDS MAY BE
YET TO COME. THE 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET...HOWEVER...ARE CONSISTENT WITH
THE CURRENT TRENDS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS...WHICH GIVES US SOME
CONFIDENCE IN RECOMMENDING THEM.

100% agree. Euro may be having some issues

It brings the dryslot up into most of NJ/SE NY and a chunk of SNE with the CCB back over E NY/down through interior PA.

My guess it that it is too wrapped verbatim up as you seem to agree...but that certainly explains why the precip shuts off pretty quickly after the initial WAA burst of heavy snow. We'll have to watch it since if this goes about 50 miles E of the Euro, then a lot of folks in the populated centers are going to also get CCB snows.

i think it's wrapping the storm up and occluding it too quickly. i've seen the euro do this a number of times. when i saw the 72 hour panel i got really excited only to be scratching my head at the images afterward

Archived