• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob what are your thoughts on the PVD-BOS corridor needs to see evolution wise for warning snows.

I liked the GGEM/06z GFS solutions from last overnight the best.  Nice deepening cyclone as it passes our latitude with a strong kicker.  I think anyone S & E of BOS/PVD will have to deal with mixing issues but as of right now it looks like that would be after a solid front-end.  Pretty common for Miller A's in this area.

I liked the GGEM/06z GFS solutions from last overnight the best. Nice deepening cyclone as it passes our latitude with a strong kicker. I think anyone S & E of BOS/PVD will have to deal with mixing issues but as of right now it looks like that would be after a solid front-end. Pretty common for Miller A's in this area.

Pull the shades on this run of the ggem. Lots of people ignoring the warmth in the cp.

An ORH obliterator.

That would be a lot of snow though even for BOS before perhaps some tainting.

Yeah it was not all that warm at 850 either. The stupid BL warmth is not getting that far inland....I think models are warming interior areas way too much...wonder if daytime heating rearing it's ugly head here. IOW models are warming too much from solar insolation.

I liked the GGEM/06z GFS solutions from last overnight the best. Nice deepening cyclone as it passes our latitude with a strong kicker. I think anyone S & E of BOS/PVD will have to deal with mixing issues but as of right now it looks like that would be after a solid front-end. Pretty common for Miller A's in this area.

The antecedent airmass and high pressure position concern me ...wrt coast getting more than 2-3"

Yeah it was not all that warm at 850 either. The stupid BL warmth is not getting that far inland....I think models are warming interior areas way too much...wonder if daytime heating rearing it's ugly head here. IOW models are warming too much from solar insolation.

Even the warm bias (at the surface) GGEM has a big thump of snow for BOS in the ptype algorithms. BOS would be a tough forecast on some of these, but I think 128 corridor and NW would be golden. Even independent of the insolation issue models sometiems have, I notice that they will often also try and modify the airmass too quickly when it becomes pinched off from the source region...that is what we are seeing here. The cold airmass over us currently gets pinched off from the source region once the southern stream bowling ball detaches from the N stream flow.

We'll see how those thermal profiles trend as we get closer, but I would expect them to tick colder if the track stays out near the BM or ACK. Obviously if we get a hugger, then that creates a new set of ptype issues that are seperate from the "modifying airmass" issue we are currently seeing on some guidance.

Archived