• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question here, how can you have any confidence in the GFS at this time with southern stream systems. I mean in 36 hours it has screwed the pooch all over the country, even with short lead times.

It's not necessarily confidence in the GFS, it's no confidence in any one solution. You've seen how wildly the models can swing based on that trailing shortwave. It's not a prudent forecast to jump on the Euro and ignore other possible solutions. I favored the middle of the road with adjustments to come if/when consensus grows on a farther west track.

It's not necessarily confidence in the GFS, it's no confidence in any one solution. You've seen how wildly the models can swing based on that trailing shortwave. It's not a prudent forecast to jump on the Euro and ignore other possible solutions. I favored the middle of the road with adjustments to come if/when consensus grows on a farther west track.

You based your caution to "weenies" based on the GFS and that is why I asked. I understand your philosophy totally.

It's the NAM beyond 48 hours ... it is what it is...  But what it is, is not bad for winter geese. There's an initial surge of S+ on this run, that runs into some p-type issues up to the Mass Pike, or perhaps even Rt 2, but then, as the deep closing center in the South runs up and captures the sfc low, the extrapolation would support a more rapid deepening rate somewhere between Cape Cod and the Delmarva, and that circumvallate of low pressure would implode, and along with it, dynamical cooling would collapse the column for most, and the transition line between snow and kitchen sink then moves SE.  

It's the NAM beyond 48 hours ... it is what it is...  But what it is, is not bad for winter geese. There's an initial surge of S+ on this run, that runs into some p-type issues up to the Mass Pike, or perhaps even Rt 2, but then, as the deep closing center in the South runs up and captures the sfc low, the extrapolation would support a more rapid deepening rate somewhere between Cape Cod and the Delmarva, and that circumvallate of low pressure would implode, and along with it, dynamical cooling would collapse the column for most, and the transition line between snow and kitchen sink then moves SE.  

In other words, nudity for most.

On the GFS it looked like that high to the northeast was stalling the low for at least six hours, so if we can get a blend of the NAM and the GFS this could still be quite the event for most.

You can't just take the best elements from each run and combine them... 

Archived