Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Monday snow event discussion/observations Feb. 3

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might actually manage some decent dendrites on the south coast tomorrow... big fluffy aggregates?

Snow growth looks decent... and it's way up there - around 500 hpa!

Waiting to view the 12z Euro but looking on GFS soundings it does look pretty sweet for coastal CT tomorrow...they will certainly do better than us.  

I'm still a bit worried though about going anything more than like 2-4'' (especially northern half of CT)...the column is only saturated for a short amount of time and the heaviest QPF is only overhead for a brief window...and during this time would we be seeing snow rates exceeding 1-1.5''/HR?

I wouldn't be surprised to see snowfall rates reaching 1-2"/hour for around 3+ hours sometime tomorrow morning into the afternoon.  Right now looks like a 9-12 hour event.  An appetizer to the two main events.  Cape Cod could see 6-8" if we get into the banding, if I was the NWS I would issue a winter storm warning, or at least a WWA.

It's possible that some of those stronger VV's reach the south coast but other than that lift doesn't look all that impressive (at least to me) and besides the jump north in higher QPF values I just don't see much of anything to really support a widespread 3-5''...however, that doesn't apply to the south coast as obviously they would have a better chance as they could get into the banding.  

Looking at bufkit snowgrowth is definitely quite favorable (as Ryan said) and there is omega within that zone...nothing overly impressive though.  

Perhaps I'm overlooking something but I am thinking 1-3'' for interior and 2-4'' for extreme southern CT/RI and into portions of SE MA excluding the Cape where mixing will be more likely.  

Yikes just looked at the Taunton AFD.  What's going on?    This was posted at 153pm today?  Superbowl party started early?  Tons of schools rely strictly on NOAA.  C'mon guys time for an update because if the later models are right this forecast is going to lead to a lot of bad/dangerous decisions down here.

MONDAY...

UPPER JET LINGERS OVER NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND WITH RIGHT ENTRANCE
REGION OVER SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. THIS WILL GENERATE LIFT IN
ADDITION TO THE APPROACHING SHORTWAVE. CLOUDS AND A COLDER AIRMASS
WILL KEEP TEMPS IN THE LOW TO MID 30S. TEMPERATURE PROFILES FAVOR
MAINLY SNOW OVER LAND. BUT WITH SRN NEW ENGLAND ON THE EDGE OF
THE PCPN SHIELD...WE FIGURE PCPN AMOUNTS WILL BE LOW...MELTED
VALUES PROBABLY NO MORE THAN ONE OR TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH. THE
COMBINATION OF TEMPERATURES AND PCPN YIELD UP TO AN INCH ALONG THE
SOUTH COAST AND LESS FARTHER NORTH.

WE ARE MAINTAINING CHANCE POPS SOUTH OF THE MASS PIKE...LIKELY
POPS ALONG THE SOUTH COAST
...CATEGORICAL POPS ON THE WATERS SOUTH
OF THE ISLANDS.

Yikes just looked at the Taunton AFD.  What's going on?    This was posted at 153pm today?  Superbowl party started early?  Tons of schools rely strictly on NOAA.  C'mon guys time for an update because if the later models are right this forecast is going to lead to a lot of bad/dangerous decisions down here.

MONDAY...

UPPER JET LINGERS OVER NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND WITH RIGHT ENTRANCE

REGION OVER SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. THIS WILL GENERATE LIFT IN

ADDITION TO THE APPROACHING SHORTWAVE. CLOUDS AND A COLDER AIRMASS

WILL KEEP TEMPS IN THE LOW TO MID 30S. TEMPERATURE PROFILES FAVOR

MAINLY SNOW OVER LAND. BUT WITH SRN NEW ENGLAND ON THE EDGE OF

THE PCPN SHIELD...WE FIGURE PCPN AMOUNTS WILL BE LOW...MELTED

VALUES PROBABLY NO MORE THAN ONE OR TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH. THE

COMBINATION OF TEMPERATURES AND PCPN YIELD UP TO AN INCH ALONG THE

SOUTH COAST AND LESS FARTHER NORTH.

WE ARE MAINTAINING CHANCE POPS SOUTH OF THE MASS PIKE...LIKELY

POPS ALONG THE SOUTH COAST...CATEGORICAL POPS ON THE WATERS SOUTH

OF THE ISLANDS.

Yeah that was their morning discussion, they haven't updated anything yet.

Yeah that was their morning discussion, they haven't updated anything yet.

I've been complimentary of ktan all winter...they're dropping the ball here in a bad way. People are leaving for the game. Advisories should be up now. Lots of people won't know about the snow or plan for it in time.

It's 430 and there's silence.

Just generated this map.  While it's nice to see a northward shift with QPF axis, it takes more than just QPF to get higher precipitation, in this case snowfall totals.  While snow growth looks pretty decent with the zone up near 18K to 20K there isn't a tremendous amount of lift, although it does increase as you work south across SNE, hence where my axis of higher totals are.  Other factors taken into considering where the speed of the storm and the duration of the higher QPF values.  I've also taken into account experiences from this past winter.  

post-443-0-10157500-1391376871_thumb.jpg

Just generated this map.  While it's nice to see a northward shift with QPF axis, it takes more than just QPF to get higher precipitation, in this case snowfall totals.  While snow growth looks pretty decent with the zone up near 18K to 20K there isn't a tremendous amount of lift, although it does increase as you work south across SNE, hence where my axis of higher totals are.  Other factors taken into considering where the speed of the storm and the duration of the higher QPF values.  I've also taken into account experiences from this past winter.  

attachicon.gif1st call snow map.jpg

Good luck with your prediction, Paul.  Thanks for keeping me in the area that receives nothing.  I do have clouds in my forecast though.  :)

Archived