• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler?

Deck Pic

it's been an OK winter, feeling dramatically better than the past few for sure, but we've (you, me and the rest of the I95 crowd) have been just a hair away from really cashing in, and that's probably the only thing that I find frustrating

I havent seen +SN yet this winter...maybe for 10 minutes...low QPF events are getting tiresome...I want to be bombed with 0.80" in 8-10

hours

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in terms of models we are actually pretty far away from the event... a lot can happen in 50-60 hours...here is the current guidance for DCA, people can extrapolate for their own backyard,..

from Wettest to Driest, all approximations..QPF, Snowfall

12z Canadian - 1", 4-5"

12z Euro - 0.75", 1-2"

12z Euro ens - 0.45", 2"

12z Canadian ensembles - 0.35", 1-2"

18z GEFS - 0.35", 1-2"

12z JMA - 0.35", ?

15z SREF - 0.30", 2"

18z GFS - 0.25" - 1-2"

18z NAM - 0.25", maybe 1"

21z SREF - 0.55, 2-3"

21z SREF - 0.55, 2-3"

We'd lose that much to rain?  Or just bad ratios? (or both)  Looks like 850s are below 0 and sfc falls below 32 just as the heavy stuff arrives per the SREF.  Or are you assuming the models are overdoing the cold and we likely are a few degrees warmer than model guidance (a la March '13 & Dec '13)

Where do you get the snow amounts that go with the precip amounts? Are you arbitrarily assuming it is half rain? or are you discounting some outliers? other?  

I'm doing my own interpretation of what the model is depicting for MBY which sucks...though I may be a little too conservative

What this storm has going for it a bit versus 3/5 and 12/10 is the BL should be much much better...we are mostly going to have to worry about the surface....heavy rates will kill that....once we go below 0 at 850 on any map we are snow....

We'd lose that much to rain?  Or just bad ratios? (or both)  Looks like 850s are below 0 and sfc falls below 32 just as the heavy stuff arrives per the SREF.  Or are you assuming the models are overdoing the cold and we likely are a few degrees warmer than model guidance (a la March '13 & Dec '13)

we are going to be in better shape than 3/5 and 12/10..I worry about the surface being 35.6 degrees if precip is too light...

I'm not...if we stay in the low 50s on sunday I wont feel as nervous....the BL will be fine this storm...it's the surface I am worried about

That's a legit worry, especially after the 1/21 storm where it was 60 the day before.  I think we will probably bust high on Sunday so we need heavy rates to compensate...or the cold to get here quicker.

That's a legit worry, especially after the 1/21 storm.  I think we will probably bust high on Sunday so we need heavy rates to compensate...or the cold to get here quicker.

I'm assuming we will be 75 degrees on Sunday and when the models have DCA hitting 32 Monday morning, it will be 41.....

Archived