Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 8-12 East Coast Storm Potential

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 500mb picture on the ensembles is far from perfect however: the western ridge (PNA) is not quite amplified enough, and the axis is not pumping towards Boise which is what you see on many classic storms/KUs. It's more of a broad flat ridge across the western CONUS, which leads to a far more progressive trough.

The Davis Strait block/-NAO is also pretty weak compared to classic storms like December 2010. The NAO is fairly neutral as there's some lower heights just to the east of Greenland.

I do like the look of the threat but it's not a lock by any means as the western ridge is relatively flat and we lack a classic monster block.

I cant put many 500 mb maps vs  2010 , One key I`m looking for is that we get a well timed transient block  like the  2 times this year that 12  inches plus fell in this corridor  ie Dec 8 - Jan 3  (  both  were well timed blocks ) .  The mechanism for this  to come N is the east coast ridge . This has not been a well teleconnected year  and most are at 150 percent  of normal of snow . Sure in a perfect world would love a NEG NAO and POS  PNA  with a great ridge axis ,  but there`s more at work here .

I like that NEG coming thru the slot  and bowling balls into that  ridge position , I think the greatest height falls will be on the east coast .

So I like the threat , No Locks 6 days out , But I like this a lot

This site has a great free tool for comparing models to previous runs as well as other models. Still not sure this run will yield a blockbuster solution, but it looks somewhat better than 12z.

Edit: still a broad low pressure area which festers off the SE coast on Saturday. I'd rather it not be there, but as long as it doesn't get too mature I don't think it would be a dealbreaker as progged.

sounds like a winner so far....what is happening aloft?

hr 132 from SV maps it just looks weird to me, looks just like a broad center of LP. may be reading it wrong though

it sheared out the first wave but it just looks like a broad area of precip that's it...18z GFS toss it lol but it did improve

@HR 135 and beyond: Coastal Low is 300 miles ENE of OBX. Moderate Snow going north through SNJ and stalling there for several hours and then the storm moves ENE OTS. NYC mainly gets light to moderate snow. 

18z gfs is known for this stuff so it is not alarming at all. one positive is it did shear out the lead wave but after that it just blew chunks

18z gfs is known for this stuff so it is not alarming at all. one positive is it did shear out the lead wave but after that it just blew chunks

The PV to the north of the Hudson Bay just wasn't being assertive enough either. I must say though, this run was a very close call. I must say, overall it's an improvement. The GFS is getting somewhere because the synoptics of the H5 for the storm itself is going through another change, so the GFS has to figure this out and there's lots of time to do so. 

The PV to the north of the Hudson Bay just wasn't being assertive enough either. I must say though, this run was a very close call. I must say, overall it's an improvement. The GFS is getting somewhere because the synoptics of the H5 for the storm itself is going through another change, so the GFS has to figure this out and there's lots of time to do so. 

im going out on a limb here and saying the 0z gfs run will produce some eye candy or the 0z EURO.

The upper levels didn't come together this run and yet there's still a decent QPF and coastal SLP signal.  That's a really good sign.  Odds are always against something big.  But at least this time we have a chance for a big one.  It wouldn't take much change to the northern stream to spin up a biggie on that 18z GFS prog.

Archived