• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 8-12 East Coast Storm Potential

REDMK6GLI

The surface low is broader and less intense. This is a result of the primary hanging on a hair too long and H5 not going as nutz at 06z.

The very strong confluence in SE canada i doubt the primary can get much further than S. ohio. My previous post confirms why im going with the EURO and the miller A idea. Its going to go around the confluent flow and up the coast not ride a primary up the OH valley into the confluence. IMO doesnt make sense synoptically

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better than the squished out look from 0z.  at least this one is more in line with 6z.  there are 48 hours worth of model runs to go before good sampling in the data. 

PS while everyone is watching the coastal signal for Monday, there is a consolodating vort coming out of the 4 corners into the base of the trough...  EDIT:  then it goes into the yukatan.  whatever. 

I was looking at the archived datat for Jan3-6th 1996 leading up the Bliz....Honestly (I'll probably sound like a weenie), but the setup is actually very similar. Now, the 12z GFS doesn't amplify the ridge enough so the short/wave doesn't dig enough. 

Check this out, this is GFS @ 57 hours;

post-8091-0-40676800-1391531228_thumb.gi

January 6, 1996, few days before the blizzard;

post-8091-0-93101300-1391531227_thumb.gi

I was looking at the archived datat for Jan3-6th 1996 leading up the Bliz....Honestly (I'll probably sound like a weenie), but the setup is actually very similar. Now, the 12z GFS doesn't amplify the ridge enough so the short/wave doesn't dig enough.

Check this out, this is GFS @ 57 hours;

GFS1996.gif

January 6, 1996, few days before the blizzard;

19961.gif

That my friend is a scary match

Most of the 120hr analogs show a suppressed track.

Well that won't happen and it's probably a good thing that some models are offshore in the time frame. Even the southern storm with a very positively tilted trough managed to get some snow up here (several further south in NJ) when the the models said no way a few days beforehand. 

And like clockwork this winter suddenly that system at 108 hours which was in Florida 2 days ago is suddenly creeping up the coast

U alluded to that yesterday for the Sat   , looks like there`s better lift to the N of where the GFS slides the center off the GA coast 

Archived