• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 8-12 East Coast Storm Potential

REDMK6GLI

The ECMWF ensembles look absolutely insane for this storm on pretty much every site from VA to Maine....

Generally, there's a consensus for over 18" already.

The EURO loves this storm so much. Like john said this storm can still go down the toilet but regardless having an opportunity to track a beast like this is an experience whether it happens or not

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everytime I see a " LOCK " March 2001 sets me straight , if we get inside 3 days I will do a snow dance .

I love this system ,  I have for 5 days , The Euro ensembles loves it , we have gotten every break , the models looks great , 

it wants to snow here . 

What could go wrong ?

MARCH 2001 .  

More interested to see the 12z Euro for Tomorrow nite , but thats just me 

When models and their ensembles are hopping like this, then we got huge potential on our hands. The biggest NESIS storm of all time, Superstorm of 1993 was nailed by the models several days before it occurred.

93' is as much a rarity as you can get with the snowfall it delivered and also the areas that saw snow that may not see it for a LONG time

If you take the potential and drag it out fully with the perfect solution we're talking feet of snow. But that is not wise to expect or even think about at this range.

One thing impressive is the overwhelming signals for the models for something like this thus far john. Whether it hits full force or not im happy to be part of watching this storm develop or not

This is not your classic setup but it works. If the GEFS and ECMWF Ens are generally correct we are likely looking at one of the most active weeks of winter weather here in recent memory. A few weeks ago when I made the post talking about the pattern evolution this is what I was envisioning and it is almost insane to see it playing out on the models as it is.

Anyway..here is a massive EPO ridge which now is modeled to feature transient blocking into Greenland and the Davis Straight. There is perfectly positioned psuedo-blocking near the 50/50 position and that will force well timed confluence to our north with a strong high pressure over New England. The trough moving across the United States is forced underneath and to a position near the Mid Atlantic.

The timing, strength of the incoming shortwave and positioning/amplitude of the SE Ridge will determine where the primary goes. But somebody from the N-Central US into the Mid Atlantic or New England is getting a significant event if this modeling is even close to correct.

f144.gif

Looks like two possible outcomes here...

1) The trough has more interaction with the PV out west and the storm cuts somewhere to the mid-west. We get some good over running snows before a transfer occurs to the coast.

Or option 2

2) We have more of a true miller A wound up bomb.

Looks like two possible outcomes here...

1) The trough has more interaction with the PV out west and the storm cuts somewhere to the mid-west. We get some good over running snows before a transfer occurs to the coast.

Or option 2

2) We have more of a true miller A wound up bomb.

Ill take 2 please

If it goes as modeled we are talking an epic period (though not on par with mid Atlantic 2010)

Anyone see this?

Upton

NWS, Upton, NY

THE THIRD SYSTEM IS LATE IN THE WEEKEND OR EARLY NEXT WEEK. THERE HAS BEEN A CONSISTENT SIGNAL IN THE MODELS REGARDING THIS STORM. EVEN THE 18Z DGEX HAS LOW PRESSURE OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN CONUS 6Z SUN...HANGING OUT WITH THE 00Z ECMWF AND GFS. TIMING IS TRENDING LATER...SO IMPACTS MAY NOT ARRIVE TIL SUN NIGHT. MAINTAINED LOW CHANCES SUN...AS WELL AS THE 50 POP SUN NIGHT. DESPITE THE TIMING AND TRACK DIFFERENCES...THE LOW SHOULD BE A DEEP ONE. THE GENERAL MODEL CONSENSUS IS 980S...BUT SOME OF THE ENSEMBLE MEMBERS ARE IN THE 970S S OF LI.

Archived