Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
February 8-12 East Coast Storm Potential

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The high is so strong and anchored in this event I don't see it being anything but snow, if we just miss out by a nose on the 2/5 event it's hard to see how this setup wouldn't yield mostly snow

You've been consistent forecasting this system and im with you. A 1040+HP in SE canada is going to create pretty much a brick wall confluence up there forcing redevelopment off or south of the delmarva. The EURO in my opinion will be the model of choice for this storm it seems to have a knack for these southern stream systems. Also bluewave posted a possible davis straight block as well and couple that with a 50/50 from the wednesday storm this storm "should" be a given if this all occurs to make it happen

How is this storm looking for Eatontown nj

Sent from my SCH-I545

way to early to tell. Before that one we have two others to deal with. Anything the models are showing now are purely for entertainment purposes. That said i would lean heavy toward the Euro in this kind of set up.

ATTACK OF THE MILLER B's  :ph34r:

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1054 AM EST SUN FEB 02 2014

VALID 12Z WED FEB 05 2014 - 12Z SUN FEB 09 2014

...STORM PATTERN TO CONTINUE COAST TO COAST THROUGH THE MEDIUM
RANGE...

AN ENERGETIC, SPLIT FLOW IS PROGGED BY ALL THE GLOBAL NUMERICAL
MODELS ACROSS THE UNITED STATES THIS MEDIUM-RANGE PERIOD.
IMPORTANT DIFFERENCES IN THE INTENSITY AND SPEED OF THE
SECOND-OF-TWO MAJOR SYNOPTIC WAVES EXPECTED TO AFFECT THE NATION
AMONG THE 00Z/02 GUIDANCE WAS EASILY SORTED OUT BY LOOKING AT
MULTI-DAY TRENDS IN THE ENSEMBLE MEANS--WITH THE MIDDLE-GROUND
STANCE OF THE ECENS MEAN HOLDING UP BEST. THE GEFS IS A SLOW
OUTLIER--THE CMCE A FAST, WEAK OUTLIER.

AS PER THE ECENS MEAN, THE SOUTHERN STREAM OF CYCLONES SHOULD
TRACK FROM THE GREAT BASIN, ACROSS THE GULF STATES, THEN NORTHEAST
ASTRIDE THE APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS. THE RIDGE OVER THE SOUTHEAST
TELECONNECTS WITH THE NEW DEEP COLD OVER THE ALASKA REGION. RAIN
AND SNOW ARE ANTICIPATED OVER MUCH OF THE WESTERN STATES, WITH
RAIN TO THE SOUTH OF THE POLAR FRONT AND ITS WAVES TO THE EAST OF
THE ROCKIES, AND MIXED PRECIPITATION TO THE NORTH. ONCE THEY REACH
THE APPALACHIANS, BOTH MAJOR WAVES--DAYS 3 AND 7--LOOK TO BE
SPLIT, MILLER TYPE-B SYSTEMS, WITH CONSIDERABLE COLD-AIR DAMMING
EAST OF THE MOUNTAINS.

CISCO

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

qp_zps1b57d8e4.gif

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/qpf2.shtml

The euro has a similar evolution at 12z its splits the energy so there are 2 center 36 hours apart.

The difference is at 12z the second more impressive feature that was shown at 0z gets shoved under the confluence and heads east.

Nothing to be alarmed 7 to 8 days out.

Still has 2 system feature. Both get to the BM. Can't think every OP is gona be a carbon copy. Get thru WED and this threat isn't

Going anywhere.

I found this euro run to be spectacular ! While it doesn't show as much snow on it's qpf maps and snow maps....it stays below freezing basically the entire storm for Wednesday, gives us 6-8" of snow and the Saturday storm slides off to our south giving use merely flurries, with another developing and sliding off to our south for Sunday. I think it's where we want to be 6-7 days out !

I found this euro run to be spectacular ! While it doesn't show as much snow on it's qpf maps and snow maps....it stays below freezing basically the entire storm for Wednesday, gives us 6-8" of snow and the Saturday storm slides off to our south giving use merely flurries, with another developing and sliding off to our south for Sunday. I think it's where we want to be 6-7 days out !

This thread is specifically for the 9th. The 00z Euro was epic. The 12z is basically zilch. Another run, another solution. I just don't think this is as much of a guarantee as people are making it to be.

This thread is specifically for the 9th. The 00z Euro was epic. The 12z is basically zilch. Another run, another solution. I just don't think this is as much of a guarantee as people are making it to be.

It's not-I think this could still be a cutter given the unfavorable NAO. Any higher heights we can get around western Greenland would be huge.

Any snow potential threads are basically all banter until we get to within a few days of the event.

These storms are made or broken on small details that the models just can't resolve out very far 

except on the rare occasion when they get a 120-240 snow signal correct. Think of how many

memorable snows suddenly popped up in the short term of 120 hrs or under.

weenie world until crunch time buddy lol. in all seriousness though this threat does have legit legs and needs to be monitored. we all need to start taking the models seriously in the Tuesday/Wednesday time frame. the models "should" start to see if the 50/50 low is made from the Wednesday storm and if the higher heights towards the davis straight like posted this morning will come to fruition as this would lock in the arctic high and prevent this from cutting and instead going under the confluence and redevelop off the delmarva

Archived