• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
My take on tomorrow's storm

usedtobe

I think I might have gone a little too heavy with the forecast I sent out to my little private distribution this morning.

From your article it looks like you're thinking 15:1 is going to pan out. I'm definitely counting on 15:1, but I'm a little worried about UL wind speed and flake fragmentation. It's been a few years, but I think I recall you'd done a good bit of research on ratios?

post-1253-0-70930400-1390246275_thumb.jp

I think I might have gone a little too heavy with the forecast I sent out to my little private distribution this morning.

From your article it looks like you're thinking 15:1 is going to pan out. I'm definitely counting on 15:1, but I'm a little worried about UL wind speed and flake fragmentation. It's been a few years, but I think I recall you'd done a good bit of research on ratios?

and he pops out of nowhere

You may not be too heavy, I think we could bust low. I picked 15-1 because the wind could screw things up some by fragmentation especially late in the storm.

Yo! Nice map....lets go with that

You may not be too heavy, I think we could bust low. I picked 15-1 because the wind could screw things up some by fragmentation especially late in the storm.

Thanks for the reply. It's funny, one would think that ratios would be such a elementary piece of the puzzle. That was the case when I lived in NNE, it basically came down to: "Is the date between 12/1 and 3/1? Okay 20:1 then. Oh, it's colder than normal? We'll go with 25:1 then...." Down here every little nuance is just so critical. Ratios in this area are surprisingly tough. It's amazing how often CAA is either weaker or stronger (and dry air intrusion) than expected or elevated winds will ruin a high ratio for us.

Having said that, tomorrow almost feels like a "gimme": remarkable QPF consistency across all the models, nearly classic UL profile, dynamics and no surface or BL worries. At least as of my 18Z novice impression. I'm afraid to look at the 0Z suite, though I can't imagine it's changed much.

Good luck, and I hope everyone enjoys the storm...

EDIT:

Oh, and Ji, I hope you remember that I didn't post this time just to "End your snow storm hopes". I think I recall having my screen name defined in that context.

--Shane

I don't know whether this should be on the "OBS" thread on a forecast thread...

I'm beginning to think 15:1 is going to be a stretch. It's pretty windy up there between 800mb and 700mb at an average of 35 knots. It's not exactly tranquil between 900mb and 800mb either; a stiff 19kt breeze. I'd think that'd hold us in the 12:1 ratio?

Archived