• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

Only 0.7" so far here. Flakes have stayed pretty small.

not too shabby!  flake size is small here too...but it sure is wind whipped (which I'm sure isn't helping matters)...I can tell it's gonna be tough to measure this evening with parts of my driveway wiped clean by the winds while other parts have up to half an inch already

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Accumulating Snowfall Tonight And Tuesday...

...Winter Weather Advisory Remains In Effect From 1 Am To 4 Pm Est Tuesday...

* Snow Accumulations...1 To 2 Inches In The Northern Portions Of The Counties...And 2 To 4 Inches In The Southern Portions Of The Counties.

* Snow Beginning...Late Tonight.

* Period Of Most Intense Snow...Tuesday Morning.

* Snow Ending...Late Tuesday Afternoon.

* Impacts...Hazardous Travel Conditions Are Expected Due To Snow Covered Roads.

I'm not exactly certain how this is going to happen. There is moisture coming up from the south. There is this fine snow/rain mix that is freezing on the ground. I'm game for any kind of snow. Ice? I don't want to play anymore.

I've had a snow depth of over 20 inches twice. But we have been getting hammered all year in a good spot for the Lake Effect Snow. We have had very little from synoptic events as you guys out West in Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan have been getting destroyed. The Detroit example of snow depth is a unique scenario to this season. We have been on the warm side of the low pressure systems twice this year and had mega torches. Buffalo is at 42.9047° N while Detroit is at 42.3314° N. Buffalo is a tad further north than Detroit. This season just happens to be odd. The Buffalo airport hasn't received the brunt of Lake Effect Events this year. There 30 year average is around 100 inches per year. The average down here is only 10 inches or so higher. But once you get to the lake effect belts there average is 200+. But I will concede to all you guys, anyone facing the right direction of the lake is in effect a lake belt.

Yeah basically I was just pointing out how fast LES settles. I know BUF or any clim site for that matter (in a lake belt) isn't always representative of the area with the great variability of LES

flake size really jumping over the last 15 minutes or so with solid 20dbz returns...probably some seeder/feeder action in place.

pretty amazing to think there is a non-zero chance at a 3rd 12" snow for MBY and it's still January. (not calling for 12" but still)

sweet....

and, yeah....pretty incredible to even have somewhat of a shot at it in one season....GL and enjoy!

Yeah basically I was just pointing out how fast LES settles. I know BUF or any clim site for that matter (in a lake belt) isn't always representative of the area with the great variability of LES

Yeah I totally agree. LES is definitely lighter than synoptic stuff. This is especially true this year with the extremely cold temperatures. I really hope we can cash in on a few decent synoptic events before the season is over.

Archived