Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea if a 12 km WRF like this produces realistic QPF amounts for LES?  I know the globals definitely don't.

They're going to be better than globals without a doubt.  Some hi-res models tend to have a bit of a wet bias from my observation over the years but I'm not sure how much it may exist in this particular model.

0z GFS drops another 3-4" along and south of I-70 in Ohio tomorrow night/Tuesday morning.

yep, this one is starting to get my attention.  We are sitting on the northern fringe here, which usually is good place to be but not in this pattern.  That being said, if this can come in stronger we could do a little better.  NW trends and stronger lows have been screwing us all winter....now we can finally benefit and it won't happen...

post-622-0-08630000-1390190069_thumb.jpg

Yeah I'm hopeful for February to. Early Feb offers some potential so we'll see.

As I said in an earlier post, there's no way we're going to get above average snowfall or snow depth for January, so might as well cheer on the cold. There's a chance we might be able to end up with the coldest January in 20 years, following the coldest December in 13 years and the coldest November in 17 years!

Late week clipper looked like our best shot but the last several runs of all the globals are vaporizing it.

Yep I see that. Seems like that big pig of a vortex over Quebec is mucking everything up. Go figure no -NAO and we still get screwed. Thankfully the models seems to be going more towards the pattern we saw in December so hoping for a rocking February.

Here's a hint about what LOT is thinking regarding LES...aviation update...

THEN THE FOCUS WILL BE ON A DEVELOPING LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND THAT  IS EXPECTED TO APPROACH NORTHWEST IN AIRFIELDS ARND 23-01Z...THEN  SLOWLY WORK WEST AND MAY BRING A PERIOD OF STEADIER SNOW TO  KMDW/KORD ARND 02-05Z. 

I was far too early on pulling the trigger. Oh, well, I'll go down with the ship.

Things changed kinda fast.  Focus does appear to be a bit farther west than originally expected but we still can't completely write off a trend in the other direction.  As is, besides a likely watch for Lake county, some kind of headline may eventually be needed for Cook/Will (and possibly even Kankakee pending extent of inland penetration), especially eastern parts. 

Lake Effect Snow Watch extended into Lake County, IN.  

It will certainly be interesting to see how this unfolds. Currently looking like a spread the wealth situation where a larger area gets moderate-heavy amounts rather than one area getting dumped upon. With that said, big numbers are still within the playing field. 

Archived