• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

I don't understand the evening update from IND.  They mentioned the latest NAM cutting snow totals but a comparison of the 00z NAM and 18z NAM doesn't really show that.  00z increased amounts a tad in some locations (like here) and decreased a tad in others so I think it's a wash more or less.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think this is done moving north. First and final call for Chicagoland...ORD: 1.8"

MDW: 2.7"

If it moves north then those calls will be too low.

3z RAP looks north as well.

Taft showed microcast that had less than a half inch everywhere north of 80....does that guy even look at other models/trend? Geesh.

I'll say 2.6" for here.

If there's going to be any 6"+ lolli's I'll say northeast IA down to Cycloneville/LaSalle

While I dislike Taft. His trend for lower is correct. Of course, that's based on his conservative approach not reality.

1.3" of snow here this afternoon/evening...Off 0.01" liquid. 130:1 ratio. :lmao:

Combine that with the 0.6" from yesterday for a two day muti-wave "clipper" total of 1.9"

Wow thats insane. The most I have ever seen was 0.8" snow on 0.01" water. We had 0.28" water in our 3.4" of snow yesterday/last night, though just a T in this evenings 0.1".

So for the overall progression here tomorrow, I would expect snow to develop perhaps very late morning but more likely early afternoon.  The VV gradient is quite sharp and the snow should come in like a wall with conditions likely going downhill very quickly within the first hour of onset.  I think we rip with rates near or perhaps over 1" per hour for about 3 hours in the afternoon, surrounded by lighter snow before and after. 

So for the overall progression here tomorrow, I would expect snow to develop perhaps very late morning but more likely early afternoon.  The VV gradient is quite sharp and the snow should come in like a wall with conditions likely going downhill very quickly within the first hour of onset.  I think we rip with rates near or perhaps over 1" per hour for about 3 hours in the afternoon, surrounded by lighter snow before and after. 

And your final call is....

Well I had 3-4" earlier.  I'm on the fence between that and 4-5" so somewhere around 4" seems safe.  If we get caught under really heavy banding or the heavy banding is a bit more persistent then we may make a run at 5"

Sounds good.

FWIW, 0z NMM ticked a bit north with the heavy band...which we know get into to (was south of us on the 12z run).

In the process of undergoing top down saturation early this morning.  Snowing about 1500-2000ft agl.  RAP shows almost 0.3" of qpf for the QCA.  Probably a bit overdone, but if some decent banding can develop as the H7 low passes overhead it's not out of the question.  Gonna ride last night's call for 3-4" for here for now.

Archived