Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres some pics from my walk at the park. Also took a vid. The wind was brutal but is all part of the winter experience. These were taken around 4-5pm. Snow has now resumed after a brief lull of just flurries.

Awesome pics Josh...you always do a nice job.   I'm starting to think ma nature has been rewarding you for being her biggest fan and photographer.   Time for me to take the hint and charge the camera battery.

Nice photos Josh. Good to see winter has returned to your area. :)

DSM vortex of doom about to make its way through PIA. Looks like LAF may have a chance with it later, if it holds together/stays on its current path.

Thanks. Snow seems to be really accumulating well tonight too. Its amazing how a few inches of snow transforms the landscape of what was old dirty snow and makes it look like fresh deep snow. A lot of times people say when the snow gets dirty, just melt it all away and start over fresh. This is a perfect example of why I ALWAYS want to keep a snow base. No it isnt to look at dirty, icy old snow. Its because a few inches of fresh snow...and voila! The bare spots are completely covered, the rest of the iceburg now now look like fresh deep powder, and the dirty coal piles look like mountains of powder :) Good luck in LAF tonight, though you are golden Saturday regardless.

0z NAM is south and weaker.

Yep.. Remember it is sampled now as well.  With the PNA through the roof and EPO tanking it is gonna be hard to bring this thing much further to the north. Still wouldn't rule it out but yeah i would not count on it. This looks to be a LAF/IND to Columbus special.

About 3-4 inches in Howell today.

With all our 6-8 inch glacier, we have a good 10 inches in spots.

No idea what depth is overal.

Depth is nothing but the observers estimate of best average, and I can never remember such a hard time of it. Was talking to the obs coordinator at DTX and she was saying they were talking in the office of how hard it is to pick a number for snow depth because its just all over the place. Before todays snow, I called it 4", but that is my best judgment as we had plenty of bare spots, plenty of spots between 8-12", and of course plenty of 3-6" spots as well.

Yep.. Remember it is sampled now as well.  With the PNA through the roof and EPO tanking it is gonna be hard to bring this thing much further to the north. Still wouldn't rule it out but yeah i would not count on it. This looks to be a LAF/IND to Columbus special.

Looks like it falls apart by the time it gets here. Shocker.

Looks like it falls apart by the time it gets here. Shocker.

yea, not so sure it's a matter of it falling apart as much as it's missing to the south and west, (which I could see happening).  Shades of '10-'11?    On the brighter side, the nam is a bit more bullish about tomorrow, (.15").

edited WEST not east

Did any survive the thaw?

In some spots there is some pretty thick ice/glacier(mostly shaded regions). Otherwise, green was visible this aft. Not anymore.

I have a good 3" on the ground in my area. The only bare spots visible are right underneath the trees but otherwise, i still have a decent pack. 

And its being snowing here lightly too. Roughly 0.5cm thus far. 

I honestly think LAF is good for 4-5" with some lolli 6's in the area. We're talking at least 20:1. Expecting similar results for my side of the state.

Trying to figure out ratios can be difficult but I'd lean a bit lower here...maybe more like 16-18:1.  Probably somewhat higher farther north.  Would like to see a thicker DGZ to go higher here. 

Archived