• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
1/6 Arctic Frontal Snow

mitchnick

It'll probably mostly come down to coverage and rates. Getting snow to stick to snow (where it lasts, which might be some everywhere at this rate) is relatively easy at least. 

it looks to be like non accumulating snow with sfc too warm when it falls...hopefully we can get some snow squalls/showers to lag back and hit us once we go below...we probably will, but they might be localized and in the favored locations

Guidance doesn't get the surface below freezing before main precip from the front is well east of us from what im seeing. We would have some snow but it prob wouldn't stick if that happens.

I'm kinda bearish on the prospect of stickage. I hope.tomorrow's ice helps preserve my snowpack. Sub zero or bust

It's patently obvious how important a block is. This arctic outbreak is going to be in and out so fast its unbelievable.

I'd take 4 inches of snow with a week of highs around 32, lows around 24 with a block. It really does not matter how incredibly cold an arctic airmass is, what the southern Mid Atlantic needs is decent blocking. Without a block we're toast. We're going to punt the rest of the month.

Guidance doesn't get the surface below freezing before main precip from the front is well east of us from what im seeing. We would have some snow but it prob wouldn't stick if that happens.

I'm kinda bearish on the prospect of stickage. I hope.tomorrow's ice helps preserve my snowpack. Sub zero or bust

Euro doesn't get the area below freezing at the surface until 18z despite 850's being good way before that. Looks like precip shuts off by late morning so maybe an hour or two of snow but it's hard to tell. Most models are under .10 qpf. The question will be what variety the snow takes. Will it be light showery or a more organized burst. The wildcard will be whether the atmosphere squeezes out some heavier snow showers or even an intense short squall once the cold air is here for real sometime in the early to mid afternoon. Fronts with this kind of power usually deliver a surprise for someone.

Best arctic front I can remember happened here back around 2004 or so. It was a day that I took my wife to work because we were going shopping afterward. When we left the house that morning, it was 62 degrees and raining. By the time we got to her work 40 minutes away in it was in the low 40's with snow mixing in with the rain. Then, by the time I got back home, the temp had crashed to 28 degrees with heavy snow, and about a quarter to half inch on the ground. It didn't last long and I don't even think we got over 2 inches from it, but the temperature crash and the changeover to heavy snow was pretty impressive.

It's patently obvious how important a block is. This arctic outbreak is going to be in and out so fast its unbelievable.

I'd take 4 inches of snow with a week of highs around 32, lows around 24 with a block. It really does not matter how incredibly cold an arctic airmass is, what the southern Mid Atlantic needs is decent blocking. Without a block we're toast. We're going to punt the rest of the month.

I'm actually kinda glad the cold will be transient.  Scary cold like that worries me if it goes on and on too long.

I'm actually kinda glad the cold will be transient.  Scary cold like that worries me if it goes on and on too long.

The folks up in the northern plains need a break too. Some of my relatives live in Wisconsin. They have been well below normal for temps for some time now. They are forecast to fall to -32 degrees with -55 windchills (for overnight lows, that is).

12 Z GFS looks a bit more promising for this one. Hopefully we can get a quick inch. 

Don't see it.  The sruface temp is still plus 5C at 12Z.  its zero line lags the 850 zero line.  You may gt lucky and see a few flakes but unless you have elevation your chances of seeing accumulating snow are not good. 

Archived