Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
1/5/14 thru 1/6/14 event

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I saw the right Euro ..but 0z shows snow accumulation for the area. Can anyonr confirmed this ?

Euro, GFS and ggem all have snow but for day 7.

Not this threat.

Ggem is almost a moderate hit. GFS and euro are light snow events.

We really don't torch after this. Low 40s Sunday 30s with rain at night. Provided amounts are low we may not lose much snowpack before the arctic blast hits us Monday night

some models including the GFS are showing a chngeover to snow by monday afternoon for a few hours - have to watch that

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014010306/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_26.png

Upton is calling for .50-1.00 of rain sun night. Guess the snow cover will be gone by mon morning.

Euro has about .6 inches of precip. Sunday temps in the early afternoon are actually around freezing but then rise into the overnight before maxing out around 50 for a very short while. Then they drop very quickly well new freezing. I think we'll be able to preserve some snow. It's technically a 24 hour warmup, a little less actually.

For NYC/coastal sections, there will be a period of rain Sunday PM to Sunday night with areas of locally dense fog at times.  This fog will really eat at the snow...and we may not have much of it left except before the frontal passage on Monday.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to see snow showers or squalls with the passage of the arctic front.  Does anybody here know the last time NYC failed to reach 10 degrees during the day? 

For NYC/coastal sections, there will be a period of rain Sunday PM to Sunday night with areas of locally dense fog at times.  This fog will really eat at the snow...and we may not have much of it left except before the frontal passage on Monday.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to see snow showers or squalls with the passage of the arctic front.  Does anybody here know the last time NYC failed to reach 10 degrees during the day? 

18z 4km NAM has NYC in low to mid 30s sunday until 4pm where it rises to high 40s for 1-2 hours (mid 40's more likely IMO), hope fully the snowpack will act like a sponge, then temps quickly drop into 30s, It will be close, and all the melted snow and rain will result in a flash freeze, and the models may be underestimating cold air (youve heard this, I know), we may see surface struggle to warm leading to more ZR than expected

btw I have 9" of snow on the ground

Jan 19, 1994 high of 10.  Not sure last high below 10.  Unc would have that info.

18z 4km NAM has NYC in low to mid 30s sunday until 4pm where it rises to high 40s for 1-2 hours (mid 40's more likely IMO), hope fully the snowpack will act like a sponge, then temps quickly drop into 30s, It will be close, and all the melted snow and rain will result in a flash freeze, and the models may be underestimating cold air (youve heard this, I know), we may see surface struggle to warm leading to more ZR than expected

The snow pack should really consolidate and settle over the next day or two. This fluffy powder is weak towards rain and warmth. Once it consolidates it will be more like 4-5" pack and with it being more consolidated, may be able to withstand the rain and warmth.

.Mr. G just said that monday's storm will feature rain to snow for the NYC area.

LOL I have no idea how the heck that guy is still in the business. I got interested in Metrl over 30 years ago & the dude was over @ CBS then I believe. I knew then he didnt know much & I still know it now ;) . Yes there is a tad of truth in the RN>SN scenario but it aint much so we wiat for s mall wave that might give us an inch or 2 b4 the shot @ something next weekend ( 2 early obviously)

I fully expect to still have a decent snowpack after the warm-up and rain.  We received about 0.6-0.7" of liquid equivalent as snow on the ground in my area and very little of that has sublimated/melted.  This amount of snowpack should be able to absorb most of the expected 0.5" of rain and withstand 24-30 hours above freezing without losing more than 25-50% of the snow. 

If anyone recalls the 12/14 snow to ZR to rain situation, we got about 0.5" snow as LE, then maybe 0.2" ZR as LE and then maybe 0.7" of plain rain and then the temps were above freezing for maybe 24 hours - and our snowpack depth went from maybe 5" to 2-3", but the LE hadn't decreased that much - it was mostly compaction, as the snowpack absorbed the rain.  It then got cold and the whole mess froze and it lasted about a week until those outrageously warm temps the next weekend.  As per the link, below,

"Air temperature is still the most important factor in melting snow. Rain will usually not add much heat to the process. At 40 degrees, one inch of rain will only produce a tenth of an inch of added water from snow melt. However, rainfall is often accompanied by windy and humid conditions which can greatly accelerate snow melt. At the same time, frozen ground will result in more of the available water running off directly to streams."

http://www.crh.noaa....N_Snow_Melt.pdf

Archived