pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was always going to be marginal either side of blizzard. I hedged because of impacts, and possibly life threatening cold if people got stuck. We came close this morning with a few 35 mph gusts and 1/2SM at PSM and PWM.

it was probably the right call in this specific case because of the cold. However the vast majoity of blizzard warnings should be kept on the shelf unless it's for something like 2/8/13 or Jan 2005 (even if criteria are marginally met in other cases). Blizzard should be the creme de la creme of storms so that public doesnt desensatize. The nws as a whole probably overissues them nowadays.

it was probably the right call in this specific case because of the cold. However the vast majoity of blizzard warnings should be kept on the shelf unless it's for something like 2/8/13 or Jan 2005 (even if criteria are marginally met in other cases). Blizzard should be the creme de la creme of storms so that public doesnt desensatize. The nws as a whole probably overissues them nowadays.

100% agree.

Sure Don go ahead.

I'm sticking with 19" but I think it was probably over 20-22with normal measuring. The S Weymouth total may be low but it's extremely difficult to gauge. Based on best area measuring, visibility not due to blowing etc, seems right. Rockland with 16 seems ok.

Thank you very much.

This was an enjoyable storm with its combination of cold and snow.

Holy moly... 5.0" on the ground with a LE of 0.65"!!! That's 7.6:1 - hideous!!! Boxing Day style snow grain garbage. 

Just hideous snow growth even during the "brunt" of the storm. 

I'm really, really surprised it was that bad.

As an aside, I think I found a really nice snow measuring spot in the backyard set back from the fence (on the south side of the fence about 10 feet away which seems to be enough to limit drifting downwind). 

Look at a storm total QPF prog from NEXRAD. You can see the weenie band that got me for about 7 hrs. I know what 12-15 looks like and you don't get that landscape with that much. This reminds me of Boxing day 2010 to be honest. Hingham got nailed too, but the CF stalled for about 3 hrs near Weymouth/Hingham line.

That is the exact parallel that I kept drawing last night...colder Boxing Day.

Holy moly... 5.0" on the ground with a LE of 0.65"!!! That's 7.6:1 - hideous!!! Boxing Day style snow grain garbage.

As an aside, I think I found a really nice snow measuring spot in the backyard set back from the fence (on the south side of the fence about 10 feet away which seems to be enough to limit drifting downwind).

snow sugar and it's spectacular, high density stuff, love it, sleds and cross country skiers do too.

Looks like Taunton revised down the 15" to 14", but it still sticks out if it came from Bourne proper.

To the immediate south 10"

FALMOUTH              10.0   631 AM  1/03  HAM RADIO

NORTH FALMOUTH        10.0   552 AM  1/03  HAM RADIO

Just to the east through the base 9"

CENTERVILLE            9.0   716 AM  1/03  TRAINED SPOTTER

Sagamore over the bridge near the base (Bourne) 7"

SOUTH SAGAMORE         7.0   612 AM  1/03  HAM RADIO

Areas just to the W and SW were in the 7-10.5" range along the water.

This was a very good storm, and we've no doubt picked up another 1-3" this morning (still snowing).  I just wonder about reports that stick out like that..maybe the wrong town west sandwich etc.

Puzzled by it to.  It happened here for much of the storm and really hurt our totals. 

Absolutely. Last night's storm we may never see again, with the moderate snow and sub-zero temps.

Unless we somehow lose all our trees blizzards are probably best kept to the corn yetis of the Midwest and Plains.

Living vicariously through you guys (though we are getting it pretty good down here) ... phenomenal post.  What an epic storm, subzero with moderate snow... unreal.

That's one of the amazing things about this storm, at least round one - it never really snowed very heavily here. But boy did it accumulate.

Late in the morning and early afternoon I was watching out my window and thinking the appearance was of light snowfall, yet we were approaching 1"/hr at that point. Then when we saw considerable dendritic growth and I thought "this may be edging into moderate now" we had at least a couple hours of 2"/hr. When I was driving to the train station after 4 p.m. I'd say it was nudging toward the higher end of moderate, but the wind was picking up and there were some near whiteouts.

And we were supposed to be in a "lull" most of that time. 

These were only eyeball estimates from the "snow stake" in my front yard but FYI, pieced together from email I sent to friends. (All #s are -4" from the actual snowpack with glacial base from mid-Dec.)

1:11 p.m. - >4"

1:39 p.m. - 6"

2:09 p.m. - >7"

2:39 p.m. - 8"

4 p.m. - 10"

My front yard, 12:50 p.m. yesterday

2014-01-02%20frontyard1.jpg

Holy moly... 5.0" on the ground with a LE of 0.65"!!! That's 7.6:1 - hideous!!! Boxing Day style snow grain garbage. yup i knew ratios were ten to one or less at times....just awful

I'd say a final call of somewhere between 14-15".  Someone else mentioned it, but in North Andover, my office shows less snow now than it did yesterday around 2:00 p.m. when I left.  Compaction ate up probably 30% or more of the snow, so anyone measuring today won't be close to what fell.

Ray, is your current temp really 13?  My car is showing the current as 6 degrees in North Andover.

Agreed, and the two "confirmed" blizzards I experienced during 2010-2011 (in AUG, not at home unfortunately) offer a contrast.  Both had the requisite wind, visibility, and duration at AUG,WVL, and BGR.  However, the latter (Jan 12) was much the lesser despite its heavier snowfall rate.  I was surprised that it met the wind criterion, though my estimating skills are modest.  Boxing Day was a no-brainer.  It had winds that were tough for standing upright, and I'm by no means small or thin.  We spent 30 minutes at the North Augusta Wendys hoping in vain that things would improve (wife had a Dr. appt at PWM), and most of the time we couldn't see the Irving station less than 50 yards away.

Edit:  I'd add Aroostook potato country as an appropriate blizzard candidate.

Archived