pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to find a better spot for my board it's just a nightmare. It's always low and seems really susceptible to drifting. 

Yeah.  I've got a real good spot that is shielded from winds (for the most part) and not too close to the house to mess up my measurements.  Was happy to see the HAM radio guy in Brooklyn close to my amount (we were only .25" off of each other)

You've probably robbed yourself of a foot of snow over the last 2 winters

lol.

Since the snow started early yesterday a.m. I am just under 7". Cleared the board once before bed and again at 6:00am today. I've got the board in a pretty good spot, away from heavy drifting. Temp was about 5f at 6:00.

Snowing pretty good still. Looks like I will end up in the range of Ryans forecast (6-10) and I think close to the updated Taunton forecast map from last night.

yep 7.5 here, sweet stuff.

I wonder if the ASOS had trouble catching some of the snow...like in BOS, I am doubting the liquid equivalent. I was here yesterday and back in today for work and the stuff isn't 25 or 30 to 1 snow...its def light, but looks more on the order of 15 or 18 to 1. And I'll add it does look like at least a foot fell...so its not like it looks like 18 to 1 after it compacted to 8 inches.

I'm almost sure the ASOSs weren't catching everything. Our PWM snow observer had almost 0.10" more than the ASOS.

Will have to measure in a bit. There's no way I can come up with a number from the hill. Will have to head back a bit. In the end we got a few good hours but I still don't know about 10". If this continued for a couple of hours sure. re2ytumy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol you are a trip, congrats on the blizzard CC, sweet baby James FTW

Re the 15" reports. In 05 this is the same road where cars were totally buried. I couldn't see hydrants or even the flags at the top. Same spot now and across the whole area snow barely makes it to the nozzle connectors. Maybe 8-10 7yqequba.jpgeqetuged.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they installed a telephone pole, cut down 2 large trees and leveled the slope.. Are you sure that's the same spot?

Maybe that ridge of plowed bank there in front - lol.

Please don't tell me you're going to take another driving tour of the cape to verify depths.

No but if NOAA is going to take the 15" report I hope it has photo support or it distorts history. Was a nice storm and I do believe sandwich got croaked with the cf band. But we mainly dodged the heaviest

Unless they installed a telephone pole, cut down 2 large trees and leveled the slope.. Are you sure that's the same spot?

Exact same road and area, just other side of street because there's no point of reference. This within 40 feet of some of the best shots from 05 which should put this in perspective

It's not even in the same league by a mile.

Exact same road and area, just other side of street because there's no point of reference. This within 40 feet of some of the best shots from 05 which should put this in perspective

It's not even in the same league by a mile.

Jan '05 was a cat 4 KU event...basically everyone from ORH eastward got 2 feet with 3 foot jackpots...and there were 80mph winds in that on the Cape.

The only similarities between this storm and that one is the cold...and the cold in this one was definitely much harsher but both storms are remembered for their cold (or this one will be I should say). The snow wasn't even close though...5 or 10 years from now, we'll be talking about this storm for how ridiculously cold it was, not how snowy it was unless you live up in Essex county.

Brunswick Maine Storm Total: 8.3", Liquid 0.45", Avg Ratio of 18:1

It appears all ASOS stations in Coastal Maine, Coastal NH and Coastal Mass that were under Blizzard Warnings did not meet the criteria of the warnings. Some stations like Hyannis were at Blizzard conditions periodically but were not for the 3hr minimum. 

Sandwich Mass CoOp station had 3hrs of 35+ mph winds but the station doesn't report precip or visibility therefore an incomplete. 

Personal opinion is that station probably experienced actual blizzard conditions. 

Brunswick Maine Storm Total: 8.3", Liquid 0.45", Avg Ratio of 18:1

It appears all ASOS stations in Coastal Maine, Coastal NH and Coastal Mass that were under Blizzard Warnings did not meet the criteria of the warnings. Some stations like Hyannis were at Blizzard conditions periodically but were not for the 3hr minimum. 

Sandwich Mass CoOp station had 3hrs of 35+ mph winds but the station doesn't report precip or visibility therefore an incomplete. 

Personal opinion is that station probably experienced actual blizzard conditions. 

It was always going to be marginal either side of blizzard. I hedged because of impacts, and possibly life threatening cold if people got stuck. We came close this morning with a few 35 mph gusts and 1/2SM at PSM and PWM.

It was always going to be marginal either side of blizzard. I hedged because of impacts, and possibly life threatening cold if people got stuck. We came close this morning with a few 35 mph gusts and 1/2SM at PSM and PWM.

It was more important to use the terminology to keep people off the roadways

Jan '05 was a cat 4 KU event...basically everyone from ORH eastward got 2 feet with 3 foot jackpots...and there were 80mph winds in that on the Cape.

The only similarities between this storm and that one is the cold...and the cold in this one was definitely much harsher but both storms are remembered for their cold (or this one will be I should say). The snow wasn't even close though...5 or 10 years from now, we'll be talking about this storm for how ridiculously cold it was, not how snowy it was unless you live up in Essex county.

Will maybe the earlier bourne report was an error. The "new" one is down an inch.

I just don't see it but will be interests to see the follow up.

Sure Don go ahead.

I'm sticking with 19" but I think it was probably over 20-22with normal measuring. The S Weymouth total may be low but it's extremely difficult to gauge. Based on best area measuring, visibility not due to blowing etc, seems right. Rockland with 16 seems ok.

Sure Don go ahead.

I'm sticking with 19" but I think it was probably over 20-22with normal measuring. The S Weymouth total may be low but it's extremely difficult to gauge. Based on best area measuring, visibility not due to blowing etc, seems right. Rockland with 16 seems ok.

Wow, 19? You definitely did better than here as expected. I can't justify more than 15 maximum. Ill have to check out my family's place in Hingham to see how much better they did there

Wow, 19? You definitely did better than here as expected. I can't justify more than 15 maximum. Ill have to check out my family's place in Hingham to see how much better they did there

My parents place on Pleasant St in Hingham is 14" best they could tell.

South Hingham up towards Cushing St. always does better.

Archived