pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this storm will go down as one of the most incredible winter storms I have ever experienced. During the day our high temp briefly hit +2, then dropped to 7-10 below zero for most of the storm. We had a meso band come through that dropped 2.5 inches in ONE HOUR! We got hammered my way because of banding. Talk about exceeding forecasts, we ended up with 13.2 inches here. Very hard to measure, so I tried to take the average. I bet if we had not gotten the high winds, we would easily have 14+ to measure. We lost a lot of our fluff to compacting. This was one of the storms where models really had trouble I think with some of the dynamics. :snowing:

Nice. And just across the lake from you, we got 5.75".

balmy 6 degrees out, gonna break out the shorts and tees soon.  winds howling still.  I bet municipal snow budgets are getting killed in this storm just due to the blowing snow,  they will be out for extended time after the storm just cleaning up what is blowing.  imby plows have been out since 11am yesterday

It should. PHL-BOS had heavy accumulations.

Philly, NYC, BOS all verified 6+. BOS 12+. Lesser KUs are in the books.

It will be marginal. There is not much area over 10"...BOS got it easily...ORH was borderline...none of the other major climo stations did...and the BWI-DCA corridor was like 2-6" (a bit more inalnd it looks like). It could easily be a near miss. On the NESIS site it will probably verify as a cat 1.

Also went to the game and in ~40 minutes of waiting for the train, saw the reported temp on the big video monitor at North Station fall from 6 to 3. 

Did you take the train, and if so, did you see the MBTA crew just outside North Station apparently keeping a switch from freezing by, I swear my eyes were not deceiving me (my son saw it too), setting a fire along the rails?

Also saw sea smoke on a Boston Harbor backwater in Chelsea. And got to experience near-blizzard conditions firsthand in Beverly waiting on the platform 15 minutes for our transfer to Newburyport.

When we got to the pickup in the parking lot there was no snow on it whatsoever (aside from a sculptured drift in the bed) - the wind kept it clear. I will say though that we were closer to whiteout conditions during the drive to the train station this afternoon than on the return trip tonight. Much larger dendrites earlier and the wind was just starting to pick up but not yet strong enough to shred the flakes.

When we left I measured 10" new snow in one spot in my front yard where I've had a makeshift stake since the mid-December snow - 14" total depth including 4" glacial base. Right now the snow depth is ... the same 14", even though it's been snowing non-stop here. Wind compaction and drifting. I'll wait until morning to take multiple measurements and average them out.

Sorry for the blog but I think this may be the greatest snowstorm I've ever experienced in my 51 years. At least as great as 2/78 in NYC, albeit for different reasons: We were progged to get an inch or two during the day, before the main event, and we got at least 10. I've never seen it snow while so extremely cold. And the train ride and all in the teeth of it was outstanding. (Excellent Bruins win in OT too.)

It was probably the first time I've taken the commuter rail in winter in 20 years, so while I too did notice the fires along the rails, I wasn't sure if it was standard operating procedure or not?

I missed the Lowell 9:40 train by seconds (I ran from the seats as soon as the OT goal was scored). Got there at 9:39 and no frikken train in sight. Went outside for a walk and turned back after 5 minutes. BRUTAL!

Nice come from behind OT win!

Yup.... this is what I've written down for accurate reports.

Southington - 5"

West Hartford 5"

Collinsville 5.2"

Windsor Locks 5.0"

Coventry 7.5"

Tolland 7.3"*

Columbia 5.0"

Avon 5.0"

Pomfret 5.0"

Winsted 8.0"

Storrs 5.0"

Also Brooklyn with 6.5 and BDL with 7.1 and Farmington with 7.0..Joey in Tolland says 7-8 there..and Aborn up in Staffordville 7

Archived