pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I underdid the waa/oes combo in round 1, but round 2 acted about exactly as I had surmised.

Substinance-city to the nw of Boston.

5" from 5:30pm onward last night....round 2.

It wasnt subsidence it was just the best forcing moving SE. Just saying. Good call overall by you. Congrats on 12+

outside of ocean enhancement it seems like maxes are about a foot give or take an inch...........hats off to all the more conservative mets on this one for most of interior sne

I have only seen really high ratios verify a few times and most of the time it was clippers or getting the deform bands esp towards the end of a noreaster

It wasnt subsidence it was just the best forcing moving SE. Just saying. Good call overall by you. Congrats on 12+

Scott, you can think what you wish, but I strongly believe that it was a combo of both.

There is a reason I had anticipated precisely where the heavy snow shield would stop last night, while you were still implying that the mid levels would continue to propel it northward.

When it a storm is well se and we have arctic air in place, the heavy banding always stops at Boston, and just can not move beyond those oes streamers.

Was it strictly subsidence as seen in PD II and Dec 2003....no.....but it played a part imho.

We'll agree to disagree.

Round II was a colder version of Boxing day.

Snowing @ -1.3/-5 is my new best.

Jan 2004?

I underdid the waa/oes combo in round 1, but round 2 acted about exactly as I had surmised.

Substinance-city to the nw of Boston.

5" from 5:30pm onward last night....round 2.

lol...autocorrect?

Nice storm for many. ENE winter.

Scott, you can think what you wish, but I strongly believe that it was a combo of both.

There is a reason I had anticipated precisely where the heavy snow shield would stop last night, while you were still implying that the mid levels would continue to propel it northward.

When it a storm is well se and we have arctic air in place, the heavy banding always stops at Boston, and just can not move beyond those oes streamers.

Was it strictly subsidence as seen in PD II and Dec 2003....no.....but it played a part imho.

We'll agree to disagree.

If it was primarily subsidence, then there would have been another heavy band to your northwest...which did not happen. You were just basically fringed last night after a certain time. There might have been some minor subsidence northwest of BOS, but it wasn't the classic signature "stuck between banding in a sucker hole" you often see with the subsidence.

If it was primarily subsidence, then there would have been another heavy band to your northwest...which did not happen. You were just basically fringed last night after a certain time. There might have been some minor subsidence northwest of BOS, but it wasn't the classic signature "stuck between banding in a sucker hole" you often see with the subsidence.

I agree with all of this.

It was not primarily subsidence.

There was some, but not a classic signature as seen in the two previous examples given.

Anything that fell in Georgetown area yesterday has prob compacted at least 25% since ratio's there were insane yesterday. Prob got 25" since they had 21 b4 midnite.

Scooter may be close to 2 feet as well, who knows. Anyone going out and measuring now will be 20%!!! Lower then someone who did 6 hr board clearings (pfreak pointed this out and he measures high ratio fluff as part of his job) .

We'll agree to disagree.

Round II was a colder version of Boxing day.

Also, maybe I wasn't clear...but I didn't intend for you to get another 8"...just that that it would continue to snow through the night adding a few more inches which it did. That's the mid levels, otherwise if it were an OES CJ..it would have quit there.

So this storm will go down as one of the most incredible winter storms I have ever experienced. During the day our high temp briefly hit +2, then dropped to 7-10 below zero for most of the storm. We had a meso band come through that dropped 2.5 inches in ONE HOUR! We got hammered my way because of banding. Talk about exceeding forecasts, we ended up with 13.2 inches here. Very hard to measure, so I tried to take the average. I bet if we had not gotten the high winds, we would easily have 14+ to measure. We lost a lot of our fluff to compacting. This was one of the storms where models really had trouble I think with some of the dynamics. :snowing:

Archived