pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Al Roker just said the ratios were 30:1 and that's why there is so much snow in Boston.

Yeah I wonder if that's ASOS liquid or an actual core? The ASOS amounts won't be close.

But yeah cold has something to do with it, but it's all banding, lift, and dynamics. You need to be below freezing, but aside from that it doesn't matter too much what the SFC is. Just look at Oct 2011 when some folks in northern/western MA and parts of NH/VT were ripping 20:1 snow at 29-32F.

To me it is purely snowflake type driven and as long as you are not melting at the surface, that low level temp is irrelevant.

In this case though for eastern MA, the ocean enhancement was able to act on the great snow growth in the low levels (much like our upslope here can when 850s are in that -10C to -18C range. I think that really helped them in this event.

i just watched live footage on necn out of boxford, it really didnt look like two feet. maybe. foot and a half but im not there so how would i know. i wonder if that 23.8 is a depth or board clearing measurement....i made some noise last feb about wind destroying ratois before the mega band moved in. seems like the only places that really maximized the fluff factor was the oes areas and select waa spots yesterday

Any verification on some of those high numbers in Mass last night - 18 or even 20 inches plus?

Going to be very hard. I would like to see photos of streets worth of cars buried..,kind of like what I did in 05. It's too easy for one yard or area to get buried.

This will go down here as the most impossible storm to measure. I am hoping back in some or the wooded clearings there is less disturbance. I have legitimate 6+ drifts but also bare spots.

Archived